Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop goes my monitor

Hello all
    Has anyone experienced an arching between power supply and lcd panel ?

I bought 3 Non working viewsonic 28” monitors VX2835 wm with a no start no power problem , tested all caps and replaced the bad ones. Put it back together worked great for after about 4 hours I heard a pop like a fire cracker. Opened it up checked for popped caps, I get no power but I did find a burned mark on the back of the lcd panel. Power supply has burned marks near some resistors and Mosfet solder looks bad.

I can only think that heat expanded monitor or power supply to touch the back of the LCD panel.

Would I be able to put a non conductive material behind on power supply as a shield With out over heating power supply?

I repaired another monitor same model as above and place masking tape on
    the back of lcd panel just under power supply hope that works.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Pop goes my monitor

was there once a trace in that third pic or did that board carbon track?

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
      was there once a trace in that third pic or did that board carbon track?
      It's a carbon track

Comment

If forgetting to put heatsink back on power supply will it cause the power supply to blow. Will it hurt if I put a plastic shield betwwen power supply and lcd display.

Comment

Was the carbon track under the mosfet?

If so, maybe the snubber circuit failed, and a high voltage built up and arced over. Looks like one 2R2 resistor is fried, so I would say that the MOSFET is shorted now too.
          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
            Was the carbon track under the mosfet?

If so, maybe the snubber circuit failed, and a high voltage built up and arced over. Looks like one 2R2 resistor is fried, so I would say that the MOSFET is shorted now too.
            Do you thing it was due to forgetting to put top of heatsink back on?
            Thanks Ben7 for reply.

Comment

Originally posted by 1supertech View Post
              Do you thing it was due to forgetting to put top of heatsink back on?
              Thanks Ben7 for reply.
              I'm thinking that big MOSFET is for the PFC. Maybe the PFC diode went open circuit. If it did, it might have done so b/c you left the heatsink off.
              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I repaired the other two monitors with out a problem,no left over parts
                Thanks Ben7

Comment

Working...
                X