Illegal narcotic substance in electrolytic capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Illegal narcotic substance in electrolytic capacitors

γ-Butyrolactone (GBL) is commonly used in electrolytic capacitors, especially some low temperature and low resistance capacitors.

e.g.
    https://patents.google.com/patent/EP1460660A1
    any many more like samxon

coincidentally, it's an illicit party drug!

http://www.winknews.com/2018/09/24/f...egal-drug-gbl/

Are there any case records about electrolytic capacitor manufracturers or owners got into illicit drug trouble?

Re: Illegal narcotic substance in electrolytic capacitors

wow didnt know u could do that and abuse cap electrolyte that way! hehe... thanks for informing me tho, now u're making me wanna break/cut open my caps just so that i could use and sniff some drugs! hahahaha!

anyway, its more like the factory workers who would abuse and sniff gbl say one day when they are bored or when they got nothing to do in the factory one day... lol!
    Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 01-27-2019, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Great, now the DEA is staring us down
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

"high" quality caps no doubt

Comment

GBL is a solvent long used in non-aqueous capacitor series such as Nichicon PW, Panasonic FC, Chemi-con LXZ, etc. Unless the capacitors vent or leak their contents, or someone actively tries to dissect them, I don’t think this “illegal narcotic substance” would cause much ado by virtue of electrolytic capacitors. The liquid electrolyte, however, is highly acidic and conductive to begin with, regardless of the type of solvent or solution used.

Moreover, the water used as part of the solvent in an aluminum electrolytic capacitor electrolyte solution is a chemically active substance with respect to the aluminum of the anode foil or cathode foil. It therefore reacts with the anode foil or cathode foil to generate hydrogen gas, and this raises the pressure in the capacitor and increases the stress on the capacitor element, thereby causing deformation or breakage of the wound structure; this may promote fly out of the electrolyte solution to the exterior or activate the safety vent, thereby significantly altering the characteristics.
          On and off-handed note, but I found this part to be interesting. Unless very special additives are used in the electrolytic mixture, the quality assurance is up to par, and all the materials are of exceptional purity, electrolytes whose solutions contain water in high or even moderate concentrations are probably bound to eventual failure (due to water-driven corrosion caused by hydroxide molecules). The water is used in the electrolyte due to its very good conductivity, permittivity, solubility, and affordability. Its high concentration of dissolved salt ions is what allows for its remarkably enhanced conductivity compared to more expensive, traditional solvents.
          Last edited by Wester547; 01-27-2019, 04:07 PM.

Comment

yes Wester547, panasonic FC is non aqueous, has good quality that i love to use, but the content is rather flammable when I test the wrong polarity and flame test experiment, compared to other series and brands.

Comment

A problem has arised is in many countries narcotic chemicals require prescription & exemption to posess in any form, and I can't see my recapping pack of panasonic and chemicon is exempted from the police, technically I am a criminal drug dealer
              Last edited by bestsystem; 01-27-2019, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Geez, with all the caps I've sold, I'm a kingpin!
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

An international smuggler also.

*Thinks to self.....Hmmm wonder what the reward would be? Ah better not then BCN would shut down.*

Comment

Glad I saved all my failed caps over the years, then. Maybe I can crush a few busted caps tomorrow and roll me a stogie with the contents. If ya'll don't see me here in a few days, please don't call 911, even if I've O/Ded. Just remember my loving living spirit.
                    Last edited by momaka; 02-02-2019, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Is same as

Comment

That's interesting regarding FC. In accordance to the Panasonic FC engineering draft, the contents, however corrosive they may be, should not be flammable, even though the series uses the organic solvent GBL:

Pressure relief shall be operated without any hazardous expulsion or emission of flame.
                        Who would've thunk that the GBL based capacitors could become potential firecrackers a la ventless Sacon FZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                          That's interesting regarding FC. In accordance to the Panasonic FC engineering draft, the contents, however corrosive they may be, should not be flammable, even though the series uses the organic solvent GBL:

Who would've thunk that the GBL based capacitors could become potential firecrackers a la ventless Sacon FZ.
                          pana FC can be ignited under big reverse voltage or when burnt with cigarette lighter , will not self extinguish, which many other caps will self extinguish.

Appears that GBL based caps have the least leakage current in electrolytics and warrants it's use.

Comment

Working...
                          X