Capacitor storage in refrigerator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capacitor storage in refrigerator

Hi. I have a lot of electrolitic goodcaps. I plan to store them in the refrigerator (+4C degree) what do you think about that?

Re: Capacitor storage in refrigerator

That opens up a new category of badcaps - frost bitten capacitors.

I see nothing to gain with it. Vacuum tight sealed package would protect them from a nuclear war if that's what you were going for.

The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

If they were frozen, perhaps it would be a problem if ice crystals formed in the electrolyte.

I don't know if refrigerating them makes sense. What is the process that causes a capacitor to age on the shelf? Will cooling it slow the process down? If it does, maybe it's worthwhile. I don't know.
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

In my country hard to find good capacitors. When I find good quality cap its become my baby. I love my babies. (Okay, I'm a little obsessed). Anyway, I'm storing the li-ion or li-po batteries in my refrigerator %40 charged at +4c degree. That's make difference to shelf-life. But capacitors, I don't know..
        Last edited by Taurin; 07-02-2014, 04:33 AM.

Comment

A refrigerator has a lot of humidity. This will get into the capacitors and potentially mess with it, oxidizing the aluminum foil for example or altering the electrolyte.
          In time, the cold can also affect the rubber bottom of the capacitors, potentially making it less resistant to pressure inside the capacitor.
          Then a lot of high performance capacitors have water based electrolyte, therefore there's quite a bit of water inside the capacitors - think what happens with water at 4c (hit: https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=1736) Short story: you may alter the internal electrolyte by storing them long term at such temperature.

I don't recommend doing it. Capacitors are normally kept in dry rooms at regular temperature.

Some capacitor series (from various brands) will go bad in a few years if they're not used, no matter where you put them, as the electrolyte in them is a bit "unstable", it's on purpose formulated that way, to get very good performance.

Comment

Gateway and Dell stored PC's in chilled warehouse. Consider how poor their quality is.

Comment

Working...
            X