A VP6 with a new symptom of bad capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A VP6 with a new symptom of bad capacitors

I had a VP6 sent to me a week or so ago that displayed a totally new symptom... The board seemed perfectly stable, meaning it didn't freeze, BSoD, fail to POST, etc... From the outset, you'd think there was nothing wrong with it. When the customer first contacted me about it, I was doubting that capacitors were even the problem.

When it arrived, only 1 cap was showing the physical signs, and they were very mild. The only one showing physical faults was capacitor EC27, a 1000uF 16v cap. All the rest appeared normal.

Anyway, this new symptom was extreme data corruption. Everytime it would boot, Windows would complain that .NLS files were corrupt or missing, and when it would finish booting, it would complain of errors reading the registry. The strange thing is that the system and OS would not crash! I ran the burn-in cycle, and the board passed without a hiccup. However, if I attempted to benchmark the HDD's or defrag using Diskeeper 8, those programs would crash, not the system.

I tested this with drives on the RAID controller, standard ATA, and even a SCSI drive, and they ALL did it!

I've never seen this symptom before, so I recapped it anyway just to see what it would do afterward... I checked each of the old capacitors with my Sencore LC102 cap analyzer, and they were all far out of tolerances and clearly unusable.

After recapping the board, all the data corruption issues were cured. If you're experiencing anything similar to that with a VP6 or any other board, doubting your capacitors are the root, you might look again! Even if your capacitors look normal in appearance!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

i like to poke about with a scope looking for hash on things like the cpu core ect.
    i have had several boards that the caps looked fine but at a vcore of 2.0v had 1.5v pp of garbage!

Comment

got a vp6 today that looks new but was marked doa unstable.
      so i pull all the 1000+ uf caps and as i took a break tested them.
      all the 1000@16(both sizes) were nearly open!the 1500@6.3 were .25 ohm.thats very bad for these caps.
      the new panasonics are .01
      these are all jackcons black/gold and the board has a mid 2002 date.
      btw it runs stable now.

Comment

Re: A VP6 with a new symptom of bad capacitors

Originally posted by Topcat
        I had a VP6 sent to me a week or so ago that displayed a totally new symptom... The board seemed perfectly stable, meaning it didn't freeze, BSoD, fail to POST, etc... From the outset, you'd think there was nothing wrong with it. When the customer first contacted me about it, I was doubting that capacitors were even the problem.

When it arrived, only 1 cap was showing the physical signs, and they were very mild. The only one showing physical faults was capacitor EC27, a 1000uF 16v cap. All the rest appeared normal.

Anyway, this new symptom was extreme data corruption. Everytime it would boot, Windows would complain that .NLS files were corrupt or missing, and when it would finish booting, it would complain of errors reading the registry. The strange thing is that the system and OS would not crash! I ran the burn-in cycle, and the board passed without a hiccup. However, if I attempted to benchmark the HDD's or defrag using Diskeeper 8, those programs would crash, not the system.

I tested this with drives on the RAID controller, standard ATA, and even a SCSI drive, and they ALL did it!

I've never seen this symptom before, so I recapped it anyway just to see what it would do afterward... I checked each of the old capacitors with my Sencore LC102 cap analyzer, and they were all far out of tolerances and clearly unusable.

After recapping the board, all the data corruption issues were cured. If you're experiencing anything similar to that with a VP6 or any other board, doubting your capacitors are the root, you might look again! Even if your capacitors look normal in appearance!
        Actually, that don't look like that much HDD data corruption, despite any HDD data corruption is major, because the HDD data corruption seems to be isolated to some files that are not required for booting Windows.

Usually, if there's a HDD data corruption problem, you can't even boot Windows at all, usually with the error message about \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM being missing or corrupted, unless that was with Windows 9x.

Isolated HDD data corruption usally is caused by an unorderly shutdown or reboot. Looks like possibly a HDD cache flushing problem.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
        X