Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP W2207 Backlight Problem

Hello!

I have a W2207 that turns on for a bout 2 seconds then the backlight goes blank. I can still see the picture on the display, but it's without any light behind it.

I have taken the board apart and have attached pictures. It doesn't look like any caps are bad, but I could be wrong. I have a feeling that it's the inverter, but I don't know how to pinpoint this.

Disclaimer: I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this type of repair, but I would really like to learn how. I may not know the proper vocabulary for a particular testing method, but I'm willing to do whatever I can to get this figured out. I have a lot of patience, so I hope I don't annoy anyone too much if I don't know what you're talking about if you tell me to try something.

Without further ado, please feast your eyes upon my boards. Thanks in advance for any help!

(The PowerBoard Back picture will not upload for some reason. I'll try a new picture later)
    Attached Files

Re: HP W2207 Backlight Problem

Well, as I was getting pictures of the backlights in case they could be an issue, I found a broken CCFL! I don't know if it broke when I was removing it or if it was the cause the entire time, but I think that could be my issue!

I have attached pictures of all the CCFL ends because there is a little bit of black on them. I have no idea if that means they are bad or if that's just how they are. I'll let you guys see it.

Where is the best place to get replacement CCFLs for LCDs?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Comment

The very first thing I would suspect in this monitor,Would be a ccfl wiring issue.
      Do you have a known good ccfl you could substitute for testing?
      Al.
      Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

If you look at my almost immediate update, you should see that there indeed was a bad CCFL! I am considering replacing all of them, as there is some black on the non-broken ones too.

Where is the best place to get replacement CCFLs?

Comment

Darn you beat me to it.
          Al

I like ccflwarehouse.But there are others.
          Al
          Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by TVo View Post
            I have a W2207 that turns on for a bout 2 seconds then the backlight goes blank. I can still see the picture on the display, but it's without any light behind it.
            2 seconds to black can be

a) bad caps
            b) bad inverter transformer
            c) bad ccfls
            d) bad ccfl wiring

All the above is explained in more detail starting with post #13 at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

Have a read through it and feel free to ask questions regarding the test procedures.

edit: Darn, I type too slow. Good job in figuring out it was c).
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Damn, you guys are fast!

I was checking out ccflwarehouse.com but I have no clue what type of CCFL to look for. Do I look on the old CCFLs for a part number or do I just guestimate?

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

Have a read through it and feel free to ask questions regarding the test procedures.

Thanks for that link! I have about 7 monitors (no joke) that need fixin. I'll start there. Should I start a new thread for an individual monitor I'm having problems with if I'm unable to diagnose from that post?

Comment

I was checking out ccflwarehouse.com but I have no clue what type of CCFL to look for.
                  Phone them. Members here say they are very helpful over the phone for these types of questions.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Should I start a new thread for an individual monitor I'm having problems with if I'm unable to diagnose from that post?
                    A new thread for each monitor to make it easier to follow and keep track of.

If you are able to fix the monitors without our help, it would help others if you posted a post mortem or case study writeup with pictures of the fixed boards.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Damn, you guys are fast!
                      Apparently not fast enough. There are a number of very good people here who participate on a daily basis.

BTW, it wouldn't hurt to check your inverter transformers to make sure they are okay since everything is apart.
                      Sometimes 2 seconds to black is not just due to one bad component. It could be multiple problems.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks again very much for the info. I plan on writing out a guide for each of these particular models for people like me who had no idea where to start when fixing these things.

I ordered some CCFLs and they will be here in about 10 days. I plan on testing the inverter transformers as well and see if there are other issues there.

I'll post back when I for sure find out what the problem was, and I'll post a link to my guide which will hopefully have very neat pictures and a disassembly (since when I looked there were NONE for this particular model, and it was a huge pain figuring out how to get off the backplate.)

Thanks again for help, and I'll report back when it's workin!

Comment

Well, bad news.

After replacing the CCFLs, I still have the same 2 seconds to black problem. I would like to test the transformers, but I'm honestly not sure which parts are the transformers and which pins I need to test.

Any advice on how to test this particular monitor's transformer? I read up on the post about the basics to do to test 2 seconds to black, but I didn't get quite enough info to test the transformers. (this post: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419 )

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comment

no help from me on the transformers, but the caps in the first few pics look like Su'scon.. replace on sight in my book..

Comment

They are Su'scon... Damn, I really wish I had an ESR meter. Can't justify it quite yet. I'll take that into consideration, after I've had a go at testing the transformer, just to check. What about that big fatty Cap? Are those readily available?

Comment

Looking at your photo, it looks like each inverter transformer has two pins (marked 7 and 8) on their secondaries, which feed a pair of ccfl's. Can't tell if there are more pins on the secondaries (which is why we usually ask for a photo of the bottom of the board). Assuming 2 pins and with power off and your meter set to resistance, measure across pins 7 and 8 of each inverter. If the difference is greater than 3%, then you may have a problem.
                                Last edited by jetadm123; 02-07-2011, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Bah, I had meant to attach a photo of the back. I think it error'd out last time.

Here's a back photo.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

1) Put your multimeter on 2000 ohms (if manual). Power off and unplug the lcd. Wait 2 minutes.

2) Measure the 2 red dots. Report ohms.

3) Do the same for yellow dots.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by retiredcaps; 02-07-2011, 04:05 PM.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Go ahead and measure across the 2 pins (7 and 8) of each inverter transformer and report your findings.

Comment

After replacing the CCFLs, I still have the same 2 seconds to black problem.
                                        You should check your work with a known good single ccfl and rule out a bad install/wiring. That is, unplug one ccfl at a time and substitute the good one (you don't have to disassemble anything, just stretch the cable to the good ccfl).
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                        X