Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung 940NW - 2 seconds to black - now just black!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 940NW - 2 seconds to black - now just black!

Dear experts,

I have been to many other hobbist/expert forums but only this one exhibits such helpfulness and wealth of knowledge! (Troubleshooting electronics remotely is a hard thing to do!) This is such a great forum and I congratulate and thank everybody who has contributed.

So here is another newbie's (typical) story:
    My friend wanted me to help fix a monitor as titled, exhibiting the "2 seconds to black" symptom, with the video still visible under flashlight. I opened it up, replaced all the caps with new low-ESR ones, but it became worse: now the backlight doesn't even come on, and the video signal is gone! Only the blue power LED stays on for 2s and then flashes slowly at about 1 flash per second.

Now having "gotten my hands dirty" I want to get this monitor fixed, and so hoping you folks can give me some ideas! I have already done the following (according to the sticky thread):

- Replaced all the radial electrolytic caps except the main filter (big) capacitor
    - Checked the resistance of all the MOSFETs (no shorts), fuses (no opens), and transformer secondaries (identical resistance); I "assume" all are OK.

Suggestions are welcome!! Attached are PSU board photos.

In advance, a big THANKS!

Kevin
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung 940NW - 2 seconds to black - now just black!

What are the DC voltages at CN2 (connector)?
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Did you check fuse F301?
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi RetiredCaps,

I measured F301 again just to be sure: it was continuous (0.05 ohm, using 200 ohm range.)

DC voltages at CN2, whether the logic board was connected, read:
        15 V terminal: 13.49 V
        5 V terminal: 5.13 V

Kevin

Comment

Retiredcaps will want to see the voltages on every pin on the connector list the results with the Pin descriptions alongside. Also do the test twice once when plugged in
          and then when switching on have your lead on the on/off pin and see if it changes.

Another quick test WITH POWER OFF for 5 mins. Meter on 2000ohms test S1 to S2 and S3 to S4 on attached pic
          Attached Files
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Thanks selldoor!!

It didn't occur to me (though I have certainly read this) to measure all pins for power off, on and then 2 seconds to black. Numbers listed below.

B-DIM: 3.48 V
            15V: 14.40 V / 16.05 V / 14.40 V
            5.1V: 15.2 V
            A-DIM: 0.75 V
            ON/OFF: 17 mV / 35 mV / 17 mV

I've measured the transformer secondaries already and they were identical. But for sanity/double check: both windings read 990 ohms.

Comment

Have you a mistype on 5.1v - think its too late to edit
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by kktlam View Post
                ON/OFF: 17 mV / 35 mV / 17 mV
                ON/OFF needs to be > 3V in order for the backlights to come on. The main board controls the ON/OFF functionality.

Post a picture of the main board. Look at my sig file for the troubleshooting guide link for how to test a voltage regulator. Report your readings exactly in the format as shown in the examples.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                  Have you a mistype on 5.1v - think its too late to edit
                  Ahh, good catch. It is 5.12 V. I'm not very good with typing numbers

Retiredcaps, I'm going to read up on that and will report soon! Thanks!

Kevin

Comment

The voltage regulator guide was interesting read. Somehow I didn't venture to this one but read the "2s to black" only.

The main board photo is attached. The readings are as follows:

IC600
                    1084-33
                    0703BL
                    PIN1: 0 V
                    PIN2: 3.28 V
                    PIN3: 5.12 V

IC602
                    18 <-- Edit: this number apparently tells us which voltage version.
                    APL1117
                    WIAB1
                    PIN1: 0 V
                    PIN2: 1.78 V
                    PIN3: 3.28 V

IC303
                    6F
                    PIN1: 3.28 V
                    PIN2: 0 V
                    PIN3: 3.15 V

While looking at the board closely, I found something VERY INTERESTING! The component D232 seems swollen, cracked and have brown/black stuff oozed from the bottom... photos also shown. I wonder what this is... I'm guessing 3 diodes in one package, perhaps?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by kktlam; 02-03-2013, 04:28 PM.

Comment

D232

diode-tvs;mmqa5v6t3,
                      5.32/5.6/5.88v,24w,s
                      Attached Files

Comment

Impressive! Thanks sabre504.

Comment

While looking at the board closely, I found something VERY INTERESTING! The component D232 seems swollen, cracked and have brown/black stuff oozed from the bottom... photos also shown. I wonder what this is... I'm guessing 3 diodes in one package, perhaps?
                          It definitely looks bad. You can test it in circuit to see what the readings are.

edit: sabre504 found it was I was searching around.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

You should have 8 readings for the test by following the datasheet provided by sabre504.

Use the diode test mode on your multimeter and report all 8 readings.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I'm not entirely sure which 8 readings: do you mean forward/reverse measurements at each anode/cathode pair?

Comment

I'm not entirely sure which 8 readings: do you mean forward/reverse measurements at each anode/cathode pair?
                                Yes. See datasheet for the pinouts.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Here we go. The first number is red probe on PIN 2/5, the other number is reverse ie black probe on PIN 2/5

PIN2/5 to PIN1 = open,open
                                  PIN2/5 to PIN3 = 046,047
                                  PIN2/5 to PIN4 = 068,071
                                  PIN2/5 to PIN6 = 832,open

I was reading the the multimeter's user manual: is it correct to interpret these numbers as diode at PIN1 open, diodes at PINs 3 & 4 shorted, and only diode at PIN6 is good?

Comment

I was reading the the multimeter's user manual: is it correct to interpret these numbers as diode at PIN1 open, diodes at PINs 3 & 4 shorted, and only diode at PIN6 is good?
                                    Correct.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I'm thinking of replacing this diode package. Seems hard to find - may be I'll look for it in other broken monitors. Meanwhile, is there anything I should check? I'm a little worried that something else is causing this voltage limiter to blow - I think it acts like a fuse.

Comment

Seems hard to find
                                        This looks to be an equivalent

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail...0-1-ND/2531527

Get 2 or 3 at 55 cents each.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                        X