Keyboard issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard issues.

Something's gone wrong with the PC in my room. I recently changed the keyboard and mouse as the old set was getting worn out from 5 or so years of use.
    Now I replaced that set with a new wireless combo from Packard bell that originally came from my media center PC.
    Everything was fine on the first go, but when I truned off the PC and booted it back up in the morning, everything acted strangely.
    The mouse works fine and all, but as soon as I press any key on the keyboard, the keyboard and mouse die and don't work at all. Pressing the power off button on the tower makes the PC go through Windows shutdown, so I know my PC isn't frozen, but only the keyboard and mouse are playing up.
    However, in Windows XP safe mode, none of this nonsense occurs. Same goes for BIOS setup.... I can use the keyboard without the keyboard or mouse dying out. But when Windows initiates, all this nonsense occurs.
    Sometimes I can get some luck and use the mouse to close all the tray programs in the taskbar, then everything will work as per usual. But sometimes I do that and it still doesn't change anything. I'm stumped and I seriously do not know what's going on.
    Just to make sure my PS/2 ports weren't playing up, I used a regular mouse and keyboard and everything works fine everytime. But when I use this specific keyboard and mouse, everything goes haywire.
    When I use the Packard bell combo eyboard and mouse in other PCs, everything is OK and those PCs do not freeze or do funny things whatsoever. So I can rule out faulty keyboard and mouse. Now it's definitely my PC and I point to a software issue. The motherboard my bedroom PC has is an Intel DP965LT paired with a P4 530J CPU, an Abit Radeon X600XT 128MB PCIe and some Texas instruments chipset based wireless card.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Keyboard issues.

how's that combo connected?
    these things often have USB and PS2 connectors, if yours does, try PS2.
    USB mode uses HID profiles which act up sometimes.

look in the BIOS for something called "USB Legacy support". might work, too.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

It's connected by PS2 so I think it's kinda strange that it's acting up.

Thanks.
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

It's Packard Bell. Some of the stuff they cranked out was HORRIBLE.
        Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

I gave up in the end and bought myself a Logitech Deluxe 250 keyboard and a Dell wired optical mouse. Everything works perfectly now.
          As for the wireless Packard Bell stuff.... that went to the PC in my brothers room and works perfectly without a problem. Seems to me that my Intel DP965LT motherboard hates the wireless combo?.

Thanks.

Comment

It must be a quirk of the DP965LT

I finally obtained a Q6600 for the new DP965LT I've had pending over 4 years - got as a warranty replacement

To my chagrin I have regular problems with my IBM Model M keyboards not being detected - tried two different ones

Buying another keyboard is not an option - what can replace a Model M ?

Damn
            better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Working...
            X