Transfer old comp info to new comp w/external hard drive HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer old comp info to new comp w/external hard drive HELP

I am wanting to try this but need advice and a free [if possible] program to do it.
    1 1/2 year old HP Notebook with a faulty screen and all my data/programs ect. Windows 10 with all the updates. I want to transfer my data ect. to another working HP laptop just a little newer. It has windows 10 with all the updates also (both are registered to me) and practically nothing extra on it.

I have a new USB to SATA/IDE drive adapter, all the cables, and power supply [if needed], and a 500GB ATA hard drive that is fairly new. I do know how to format/clean it.

Do I need an additional program like PC Clone [I don't have it] to do this? Is there a free or low cost shareware program that I can download that anyone recommends?

As you can tell - I know just enough about this to be dangerous to operating systems and would really appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks for reading this.

Re: Transfer old comp info to new comp w/external hard drive HELP

You can remove hdd from old and install it in new computer.It should activate windows automaticaly with digital license of new computer. You can backup-clone your old hdd first with EaseUS Todo Backup free,if something goes wrong,is good to have a copy.

Comment

I appreciate your reply but several days ago I started this thread https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66731
      in here wanting to do just that and was advised against it.

I admittedly don't have any expertise in this and just want my programs back.

Comment

if you have a USB to SATA adaptor you can pull the old hdd from the faulty notebook in that, plug it into the new ones and transfer your files, alternatively you could do as you mentioned and put a blank hdd in the adaptor, plug it into the problematic laptop copy the files (assuming that machine is still operable) copy the files and then plug it into the other laptop and copy the files onto it from the drive. Note: you will only be able to transfer you files (i.e. documents, pictures, music, videos, etc.) not clone the entire PC unless they are identical or nearly so (same brand/generation CPU/Chipset, sound/graphics hardware, etc.)and assuming you're talking about the same ones mentioned in your other thread that is not the case, you would run into the same issues as just transferring the drive.
        Last edited by dmill89; 01-06-2018, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zalmaflash View Post
          I am wanting to try this but need advice and a free [if possible] program to do it.
          1 1/2 year old HP Notebook with a faulty screen and all my data/programs ect. Windows 10 with all the updates. I want to transfer my data ect. to another working HP laptop just a little newer. It has windows 10 with all the updates also (both are registered to me) and practically nothing extra on it.
          Does the old, broken (screen) laptop have a VGA output, by chance? If so, hook an external monitor to it, tether it to the new machine with a network cable (XOVER or via a small switch/router) and manually pick and choose the files that you need to COPY over (not "move" as you want to be sure to keep the originals just in case)[/QUOTE]

This has the advantage (though labor intensive) of you being able to shuffle over to the new laptop and see what else may be missing or needing re-configuration, etc.

Comment

Thanks guys for this help. Is there a program that is needed to do this? (copy and transfer)

Comment

Thanks guys for this help. Is there a program that is needed to do this? (copy and transfer)
              Nope, a HDD in a SATA to USB adaptor or a USB HDD is just like a giant "thumb" drive as far as windows is concerned. If you use a new drive you'll probably need to format it (when you plug the drive in right click and choose "format") after that just copy/paste the files from their current location to the drive and then do the reverse once you plug it into the other laptop.

Comment

dmill89 Thanks ever so much for your time and answer. I will give it a try.

Comment

If you want to copy from one machine directly to the other, you set up a workgroup/homegroup/IIS on the machine "hosting" the files and then just "download" them onto the machine that wants them.

With file sharing (exporting the entire drive on the host machine), you can (from the destination machine) open a folder that resides on the hosting machine and DRAG the files you want onto the destination machine. In this way, you can see exactly what lies on the hosting machine and sort out where you want it to reside on the destination machine.

The IIS route is more complicated (and unnecessary -- unless you have a destination machine that doesn't support Windows' file sharing options) but equally capable.

IMO, this is easier (and less fraught with peril) than trying to disassemble a machine and pull the drive. Esp if you may not have a place to "mount" it once its been removed (i.e., you let the broken computer mount it for you!)

Comment

Temporary solution: I did a full clone of the hard drive with a program called Macrium Reflect (free), and am currently using a HDMI cable to see the display on my HD TV.

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                    X