Two HP notebooks parts swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two HP notebooks parts swap?

I have two HP notebook comps, cheap models, one has touch screen and the other is identical without touch screen. They are both 13 months old.
    The touchscreen has a bad connection in it somewhere and is a pain to hold in an operating position. What I want to try is to take the hard drive out of the touch screen one and put it in the non touch screen comp. I didn't care for the touch screen anyhow.
    The touchscreen model number is X7T50UA#ABA
    The non-touch scr model number X7T78UA#ABA
    I know that it's my fault for buying cheap stuff and it won't happen again.
    The touchscreen comp has all my programs on it and it would be neat to just do a swap of hard drives.

Thanks for reading this and any comments would be appreciated.

Re: Two HP notebooks parts swap?

All I need to know is if the swap is compatible - the touch screen part is not wanted. Both comps have identical updated windows 10.

Comment

As long as the HDDs are the same type (i.e. 2.5" SATA, which both appear to be) the swap would be physically possible, but you will likely run into issues with the OS license seeing different hardware and requiring re activation (especially since these appear to come from the factory with windows 10 which stores its OS key in the BIOS, unless you swapped it for a different OS) as well as driver issues since it appears one is intel and the other AMD (so completely different chipsets, onboard video, etc.).

Can you swap the HDD yes, will it be "plug and play" likely no.

You will likely have to reinstall the OS on the "new" HDD from the restore disc for the Laptop you're putting it in (or use a "clean" copy of windows and download the drivers from HP's website).

Comment

Thanks dmill89 for your reply. I guess I will have to find another path to follow to get my files and programs swapped.
        I appreciate the expertise in your reply.

Comment

Working...
        X