HP pavillion 503w motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP pavillion 503w motherboard

With a lightening hit the odds are it has more than just caps wrong with it.
    I would just replace.

Trigem was the OEM for more than one.
    I think this is the same board.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...ph07813&dlc=en
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

recapping n00b here. this is going to be the bump from hell here. I hope it's ok, i simply wanted to keep all questions pertaining to this mobo in one thread. It's already a wealth of information for me.

After reading this thread my mothers PC suffered from the same leaking 6.3v 1500uf caps. I was unable to find 6.3v caps so i opted for some 10v ones. At first i was getting artifacts on the screen and the PC would not post pas the HP bios logo. I found out i had some shorts in three caps. After fixing them, the Unit booted up perfectly. I did run memtest on the board numerous times. The board always fails on test #8 which is a stress test. Strangely enough it only gives off an error after 4-6 complete passes are made. If i force memtest to do test 8 only it gives no error. I have yet to run any OS on this machine yet.

My question is, could the bad caps be associated with the memtest results? If so, would the 10v caps adversly affect the motherboard? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by kevo
        recapping n00b here. this is going to be the bump from hell here. I hope it's ok, i simply wanted to keep all questions pertaining to this mobo in one thread. It's already a wealth of information for me.

After reading this thread my mothers PC suffered from the same leaking 6.3v 1500uf caps. I was unable to find 6.3v caps so i opted for some 10v ones. At first i was getting artifacts on the screen and the PC would not post pas the HP bios logo. I found out i had some shorts in three caps. After fixing them, the Unit booted up perfectly. I did run memtest on the board numerous times. The board always fails on test #8 which is a stress test. Strangely enough it only gives off an error after 4-6 complete passes are made. If i force memtest to do test 8 only it gives no error. I have yet to run any OS on this machine yet.

My question is, could the bad caps be associated with the memtest results? If so, would the 10v caps adversly affect the motherboard? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
        It is ok to use caps rated for higher voltage. (I think the capacitor can size increases with voltage ratings though, so it might be harder to fit the new caps in. Correct me if I'm wrong.) The voltage is just the maximum voltage the cap will work in without getting damaged - and since 6.3V is within 10V... :P

What caps did you use? Motherboards require Low ESR capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard
          It is ok to use caps rated for higher voltage. ~~ The voltage is just the maximum voltage the cap will work in without getting damaged - and since 6.3V is within 10V... :P
          Yes, exactly.

I think the capacitor can size increases with voltage ratings though, so it might be harder to fit the new caps in. Correct me if I'm wrong.
          Within a given brand and series of cap, yes.
          For a given uF the can size -tends to be- bigger for higher voltages.
          -
          If you run into a size/space problem then look for caps from a different brand or series.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

It is ok to use caps rated for higher voltage. (I think the capacitor can size increases with voltage ratings though, so it might be harder to fit the new caps in. Correct me if I'm wrong.) The voltage is just the maximum voltage the cap will work in without getting damaged - and since 6.3V is within 10V... :P

What caps did you use? Motherboards require Low ESR capacitors.
            I wonder what could be causing the errors. Maybe i actually do have some bad ram here. At the same time, i kind of don't trust this motherboard at all.

I'm not sure if these caps are low ESR caps.

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
            Yes, exactly.

Within a given brand and series of cap, yes.
            For a given uF the can size -tends to be- bigger for higher voltages.
            -
            If you run into a size/space problem then look for caps from a different brand or series.
            I did run into a space issue. I sort of had to rig them a bit to fit. Left enough slack on each end and sort of bent the leads to one side. The caps are gently leaning to one side.

I'm sort of out of options here. Seen some of these boards on ebay but some guys have them up for ridiculous prices. I don't have alot of money right now to get a new board either.

Thanks for all of the replies, I really appreciate the help. This site and it's users is an excellent resource.

Comment

What caps are they?

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

What caps are they?
                10v 1500uf radial caps. they are packed and sold through a company called NTE electronics. It's about all i know about them.

Comment

Very slim chance the NTE is low ESR.

My take on NTE is that they re-brand 'low cost' CH and TW sourced parts to their own name and resell.
                  A.K.A. Generic parts / "House brand".

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

Very slim chance the NTE is low ESR.

My take on NTE is that they re-brand 'low cost' CH and TW sourced parts to their own name and resell.
                    A.K.A. Generic parts / "House brand".

yes, i wouldn't doubt it at all. how would having low esr caps affect the board and most importantly, the hardware attached to it?

Comment

Filter caps short Ripple/Noise/EMI frequencies to ground so DC voltages are 'clean'.

The lower the ESR the better they do that. (Less 'resistance' to noise.)
                      The higher the ripple rating the more they can do without over heating.

If IC chips have noisy power to them they will have noisy signal outputs.
                      On digital equipment that translates to corrupt signals.

RAM, CPU, Drives, LAN, Sound, Modem, Video card - all use digital IC's and signals.

If the power is too 'dirty' some or all of these things can't 'talk to' each other.

~~~

Think like trying to talk to someone on a phone with lots of background *noise*.
                      Low ESR gets rid of the noise.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

Filter caps short Ripple/Noise/EMI frequencies to ground so DC voltages are 'clean'.

The lower the ESR the better they do that. (Less 'resistance' to noise.)
                        The higher the ripple rating the more they can do without over heating.

If IC chips have noisy power to them they will have noisy signal outputs.
                        On digital equipment that translates to corrupt signals.

RAM, CPU, Drives, LAN, Sound, Modem, Video card - all use digital IC's and signals.

If the power is too 'dirty' some or all of these things can't 'talk to' each other.

~~~

Think like trying to talk to someone on a phone with lots of background *noise*.
                        Low ESR gets rid of the noise.

ah, that sums up alot. Hopefully that's whats wrong in my case. I do have some moderate soldering skills but this took me quite a bit of time to do. I'm really not up for doing it again anytime soon. I think i will just save up and try to scour the internet for a replacement. Thanks for all of your help, I appreciate it.

Comment

I also am the owner of a 503w, bought at Wal-Mart for $300 in '03 on clearance. The thing has served me well, other than a near-rebuild of the machine.

I once had to send the entire unit to be serviced because of a CMOS checksum error in late '03. The machine's 8 years old and is still chugging along great! (even though I have less than decent regards for HP's tech support and machine design.

Comment

Working...
                          X