Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troubleshooting 2.4Ghz RC toy + mystery IC

Hi guys.

Recently got a faulty RC toy from ebay.. nice toy indeed - clean and neat, no visible usage and the fault was stated as "moves only backwards". Alright, faulty switch was my first thought... yes, but no.
    Indeed when the car and the remote are powered, they automatically pair ( takes less than a second ) and after the first input, the car starts moving backwards until powering off the remote or the car. During that time, the other channel ( steering ) works fine.
    Since the car is 4x4 and with two steering axles ( no differentials tho ), it has 4 different steering modes selectable from the remote control ( front/back axle only, crab movement, both axles steering in the same direction ). The selection is done by pressing one of a 4 buttons while there is input on one of the 2 channels ( so during movement or steering ). That mode selection worked.

So, in the remote control there is a main pcb with few auxiliary ones for buttons, switch, led, etc.
    On the main board there are 4 switches, one voltage regulator, some passives and... a 16 pin mystery IC.. and... 2402 memory IC.
    In the car there are two "drive" ICs ( most likely transistors.. I just did not bother to even read their labels ), few passives and... another mystery IC which looked exactly the same as the one in the remote ( even the pinout was similar - power supply, gnd, antenna.. ).
    After some troubleshooting I just found out that each component on the remote board reads exactly as it should and all traces are fine..
    In the past I've had bad experience with the 240x atmel memory ICs, so just decided to remove it and try without it... and voila.. the car runs forward, backward, sideways, etc... it just does everything that is supposed to do.

So does anyone have any idea why this memory is there? Also could anyone provide any info on the mystery IC? I'm really curious to find out more about it...

On the top of the IC there are no markings. On the bottom tho, there is some text printed + probably some manufacturing info ( see photos )

sw1 and sw2 are the fr/back movement and the steering
    Attached Files

Re: Troubleshooting 2.4Ghz RC toy + mystery IC

do you have a programmer? Maybe try to read it? The remote control can store settings like to make the car track straight, etc. Maybe that kind of information is stored in there?

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
      do you have a programmer? Maybe try to read it? The remote control can store settings like to make the car track straight, etc. Maybe that kind of information is stored in there?
      Indeed, I do have.. recently got it from China and haven't tried it yet. By the way, this was also the reason to remove the eeprom in first place - to try to read it.
      The only setting I can imagine to be stored is the last used steering mode... which I find ridiculous..
      Anyway, I was able to google a "2.4ghz remote control diy kit"* which uses similar ICs to those in mine unit, but again - no label or description.. the only thing I was able to figure out is that those ICs are prepaired RX and TX with one way communication only.

I already went through a set of batteries ( 5xAA ) and definitely can say there are no control/functionality issues without the memory IC... and the toy is pure fun! Probably will convert it to 18650 in the future.

*https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...f09f369bb7.pdf

Comment

Maybe its from Huawei and its been tracking your every move...

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
          Maybe its from Huawei and its been tracking your every move...
          Hmm.. I would put my money on Uncle Sam

Here is what I was able to get from the eeprom... I really have no idea what I'm looking.. apart from FF which means zero/empty record.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by madan1; 12-08-2019, 05:00 PM.

Comment

So this mystery ic is coupled to the antenna?

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
              So this mystery ic is coupled to the antenna?
              Yes, pin9 is connected directly to the antenna wire.

Comment

Originally posted by madan1 View Post
                Here is what I was able to get from the eeprom... I really have no idea what I'm looking.. apart from FF which means zero/empty record.
                Technically FF = 11111111, which is all ones, not zeros... But you basically have the right idea - it has no information.

The only non FF strings are 0A 00 A9 B3 starting at 0x00000030 which does not mean anything to me.

It could be a serial number or a date of manufacture. Doesn't seem long enough to be an instruction set or anything. It could also be corrupted data which should be FF. Not sure why it would prevent the RC from working.

Save the original contents of the EEPROM to a file, and then try to re-program the EEPROM with all FF.

If a readback of the re-programmed "FF" image is not all FF, then the EEPROM may be bad.

Is the EEPROM you removed from the car or the remote? Is there a complimentary EEPROM in the other device? Maybe try reading that one too?

I don't have other ideas.

Comment

maybe the numbers are offsets to calibrate the oscillator frequency.

Comment

Originally posted by Unspun01 View Post
                    Technically FF = 11111111, which is all ones, not zeros... But you basically have the right idea - it has no information.

The only non FF strings are 0A 00 A9 B3 starting at 0x00000030 which does not mean anything to me.

It could be a serial number or a date of manufacture. Doesn't seem long enough to be an instruction set or anything. It could also be corrupted data which should be FF. Not sure why it would prevent the RC from working.

Save the original contents of the EEPROM to a file, and then try to re-program the EEPROM with all FF.

If a readback of the re-programmed "FF" image is not all FF, then the EEPROM may be bad.

Is the EEPROM you removed from the car or the remote? Is there a complimentary EEPROM in the other device? Maybe try reading that one too?

I don't have other ideas.
                    The IC was reprogrammed successfully. It was soldered in the remote control ( you can see its pads in the attached images ).
                    On the car-side pcb, there is no eeprom. Only the "mystery IC" and a couple of motor drivers ( mosfets I guess ).

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    maybe the numbers are offsets to calibrate the oscillator frequency.

Could be.. but the best thing is that without the eeprom, the toy works just fine.

Now I'm on vacation, but probably when get back in the office, I will solder back the eeprom ( with all FF ) and see what happens.
                    Last edited by madan1; 12-12-2019, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by madan1 View Post

Could be.. but the best thing is that without the eeprom, the toy works just fine.

Now I'm on vacation, but probably when get back in the office, I will solder back the eeprom ( with all FF ) and see what happens.
                      That's what I would be trying too.

Comment

Working...
                      X