Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for an HPE Intelligent PDU

Hello,

HPE isn't very much help here. AC isn't really my thing. We only have 1 phase electricity here. All my equipment has C14 inlets. I do have the ability to run 240VAC to the rack / PDU.

I need to find an intelligent PDU, that supports those add-on's, the ones that tell you when the rack is open, when water is around the floor, the temperature / humidity, and you can log in remotely to turn outlets on / off, monitor the amount of electricity they're using, etc.

I believe all the HPE Intelligent series horizontal PDUs support these features.

Where I have trouble is finding the correct outlet to plug the PDU in, and finding the correct cords to go from the PDUs to my rack mount devices (all of which can support 240VAC).

Can anyone help me with this? Someone who knows what stuff like C13/C14, C18/C19 mean? I keep looking them up, but it gets confusing really quick like.

For requirements, just a quick run down, two 650 watt PSUs for a switch, two 1400 watt PSUs for a server, plus a few odds and ends, like maybe a monitor, and something that's upgradable (ie, we can add a second one or something if we expand). I'd rather have more outlets than I need right now.

But it's been like a week now that I've been dealing with them and I honestly think the people I'm talking to don't actually know a damn thing more about these then I do and are just looking at quick spec sheets.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Re: Suggestions for an HPE Intelligent PDU

I made a mistake. I guess it's the HPE G2 Metered and Switched PDUs that have the rope / water detection option, the temp and humidity sensor, the intrusion warning system, etc.

So it looks like I'm looking for an HPE G2 Metered and Switched PDU. But I see they do not make a Metered AND Switched PDU for a 36U rack.

So it looks like my options are limited now. Do I go for the intelligent horizontal PDU? Or do I go for a metered or a switched PDU?

Lots of research to do I guess.

Here's a link, if anyone's interested, with lots of confusing charts and info:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/pub...a00006907ja_jp

Here's a link to the intelligent ones:

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetDo...name=c04123329

Comment

I see with these PDUs, there's mostly C19 outlets and C13. I believe the C13's are simply used to be plugged into the PSU's on the equipment, but what the heck are the C19's used for? I don't see any C19 to C14 cords. I see C13 to C14, but that's it, and C19 to C18. But do power supplies come with C18 inlets?

Any people who work in real data centers or have experience with racks and PDUs know anything about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
        I see with these PDUs, there's mostly C19 outlets and C13. I believe the C13's are simply used to be plugged into the PSU's on the equipment, but what the heck are the C19's used for? I don't see any C19 to C14 cords. I see C13 to C14, but that's it, and C19 to C18. But do power supplies come with C18 inlets?
        The "mate" to the C19 is the C20. (C18 is a 2-pin connector; seldom used)

And, yes, I have a few machines with C20's. Often, PDU's have C20's and count on a C19-C20 cord to carry power from the PDU to the powered device.

(Remember, the PDU will never have exposed pins with power on them. And, the connectors are typically chosen to ensure the attached cable/device can support the load that can be delivered)

Comment

So the power supplies would need C20 inlets? The PSUs they're selling me, which run on 208 - 240VAC have C14 inlets.

Even though all my PSUs support 120VAC - 240VAC, they all have the C14 inlets. This is what confuses me. I see with the metered and switch ones, stuff like 20 (C13), 4 (C19) or something along those lines, but with the intelligent ones, 6 (C19). Do I tear the PSUs apart and add a C19 inlet? That'd probably void warranty. What about adapter cables to go from C19 to C14? Thanks.

Could you send me a pic of your devices that have the C20's?

Comment

Could you send me a pic of your devices that have the C20's?
            I assume you wanted photos of the power inlets (not the equipment itself)?

Also, the power cord(s) used -- ruler to show how beefy they are (20A).
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
              I assume you wanted photos of the power inlets (not the equipment itself)?

Also, the power cord(s) used -- ruler to show how beefy they are (20A).
              Okay, those are perfect.

So, obviously, these C19's are not meant for PCs or my server with the 1400 watt PSUs. I noticed with the intelligent PDUs, they have these, can't remember what they're called, they're like sticks or something, and they plug into the intelligent PDU, and provide like 6 C13 (or C14, whatever it is) outlets. So I think with the intelligent PDUs, I'm not supposed to plug the equipment directly into the PDU, but rather plug those sticks into the PDU and the equipment into the sticks, if that makes sense.

They don't make a Metered and Switched PDU for my 36U rack. And because I want the water sensor rope, the notifications when someone opens the rack, temp sensors, etc, I want to go for one of the Metered / Switched one.

Optimally, I wanted a Metered and Switched. But it seems they only make a
              Metered for 36U
              Switched for 36U

and I have to decide which one to get. Gotta figure out what the difference is. I think a Switched one means I can turn individual outlets off or on, and that's something I really wanted. The managed switch isn't configured all the way yet, and it uses a lot of juice. It'd be nice to turn it off remotely until I needed it.

I think Metered allows me to see how much electricity each device is using, remotely, or locally. Assuming I have the proper power supplies (which I do).

Tough decision I guess. I think if my definitions are correct, I'll v to go with the Metered and just unplug the switch until we're ready.

I like how they can tell me when a PSU fails and when I'm running on a redundant power supply. Wonder if Metered and the Switched ones support that, or Just the Metered And Switched combo ones (for 42U racks).

Comment

So, obviously, these C19's are not meant for PCs or my server with the 1400 watt PSUs.
                Inlet shapes try to crudely enforce a sort of "no-that-cord-isn't-big-enough-for-this-load" in much the same way that a 20A appliance can't physically be plugged into a 15A receptacle (even if the 15A receptacle is on a 20A branch circuit).

There are no guarantees that reliance SOLELY on the connector shells will result in a "safe" configuration. E.g., the common C13/C14 connector pair could, theoretically, be used for a 10A load. This would suggest ~#14AWG to safely carry that current to the load (assuming a short run). Yet, you can find "modular C13 power cords" fabricated with all sorts of SMALLER wire gauges -- regardless of length!

The use of the C19/C20 pair forces the IT droid to pause for a moment before grabbing "just any old power cord" (the cord shown uses #12AWG conductors) and using it to tether the machine to the mains; the 220 requirement just reinforces this.

Likewise, I have some machines with C15/C16 pairs -- intended to similarly discourage the user from casually using a C13 power cord!

Comment

So the 1-phase PDUs I'm looking at all have input voltages of 208VAC. I know that 208VAC usually comes from 3-phase. Does anyone know if I can safely run 240VAC to those PDUs without frying anything?

Or do we really need to step down the voltage from a double pole 1-phase 120VAC each breaker (240VAC total) to 208VAC? If so, this is going to be expensive.

If, however, they can run at up to 240VAC, I think we'll be okay. The quick spec doesn't say much.

Comment

I think we have it down to two.

The HPE P9S16A or the HPE P9S12A.

Both are Switched. It's my understanding, from reading the quickspecs, Switched includes all the features of metered. I just can't seem to find how many options and what options we can add to these two units. They mention that we can add options.

One is a horizontal 2U PDU, one is a vertical PDU. Both, I believe, should be compatible with our 36U rack. I see mention of a hub somewheres on HPEs site that talks about being able to expand the number of options.

It's very important we have the option that tells us when someone opens the rack, the option that tells us when water is around the rack, and the temp / humidity sensor.

I just can't seem to tell how many "options" each switch can support. Like the rope that goes around the rack to detect the water, the latch sensor that detects when someone opens the rack, and of course, if a power cord comes with them, or if I have to manually add one myself (to plug the PDU into an outlet).

Comment

Just want to say we made a decision. We went for the HPE P9S16A with the locking cords.

Not exactly what we wanted, but just couldn't get what we wanted for a 36U rack. Best part though is it runs off 240V 1-phase, so we don't need to worry about any step-down transformers or 3-phase stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X