Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony VPCCW13FXB Upgrade Options (RAM and CPU)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony VPCCW13FXB Upgrade Options (RAM and CPU)

Any ideas what the best RAM and CPU for this Sony Vaio would be?

Someone gave it to me. The DC jack (and probably battery) are dead. Ordered a replacement jack, but seeing how this is my only laptop, I wanted to max it out. It has some OCZ 60GB Vertex Turbo Series SSD II drive. 2x1GB sticks of DDR3 1066MHz.

Was thinking is it even worth the upgrade or should I just purchase a nice laptop? If I should, any suggestions?

Power would be nice, but tends to cost money. Looking for something that has around 32GB of RAM, maybe a 1TB of hard drive space, bluetooth, wifi AC, long battery life, etc. I'd prefer Intel to AMD for the CPU. Anyone got any favourites out there?
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Re: Sony VPCCW13FXB Upgrade Options (RAM and CPU)

i think most members here would recommend u get a better laptop. sony laptops get plenty of dislikes here due to them breaking often.

Comment

Thank you. What's a good laptop? Last laptop I owned was a black and white 486. Oh, when I was in the Corps, I had an expensive HP, that costed almost 2,000$, before the laptop prices dropped like crazy and became shit.

I gave it to my dad, he still uses it.

I used to like Asus, but they screwed us on a warranty. Even their website lists my wife's Asus as having a 3-year. And to get it, you had to register it. Well, she registered it. But didn't save all the emails. Her mail server deleted a couple. We had the one that said she successfully registered it, but they didn't consider that good enough, even though in their systems they could see she had registered it. No where did it say you needed to keep the freaking email! It was just a hard drive, so we said screw 'em and we replaced it ourselves.

So who makes a good laptop now-a-days?

Comment

This Sony Vaio can be upgraded to 8 GB DDR3 1066 Mhz , and according to its specs , it's equipped with Nvidia GT210 M , not bad for games or medium range editing .. If the CPU is upgraded from this list , as it is a socket P based (Penryn ) , and there are lot of more powerful ones in its series , he can be still competitive :

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Inte...ile/T6600.html

Comment

I'll try dumping the BIOS when I get the new DC jack in the mail, and seeing what microcode is listed. It used to be easy to inject microcode, at least on the socket 775. Not sure how to do it anymore though. I can find the microcode that you download from Intel for Linux, but not ones you inject into the BIOS. They don't appear to be the same tools. So unless someone has a collection of BIOS microcodes floating around, I doubt I'd be able to add any CPUs that aren't already supported.

Comment

Working...
          X