Lexmark T522 - 954 NVRAM Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lexmark T522 - 954 NVRAM Failure

No idea if anyone here knows much about printers, but thought I've give it a shot.

I've got a Lexmark T522 which gives this error "954 NVRAM Failure" at every startup. However, turning it off and on again after a few seconds makes it work normally.

The service manual says "Indicates the NVRAM experienced a CRC failure.
    Replace the engine board." - engine board = $260+

My first guess would be that the EEPROM is failing, and it might be wise to try dumping the contents and then replacing it, but I know that of course it could just as easily be something else.

Anyone here got experience with this kind of thing?
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Re: Lexmark T522 - 954 NVRAM Failure

Have you tried an NVRAM reset?
    http://www.lpt.com.au/support/954StdNetworkError.html

Maybe there's a small rechargeable battery that keeps the NVRAM contents alive and it's dying? I looked at the service manual and it seems there's not that many parts on there... have you checked for bad caps?

Otherwise posting several large, focused pictures of the board in question (just like with LCD troubleshooting) can help us identify components if you need help with that.

Comment

No, didn't try a reset. Might give that a go first then.

I didn't see any battery from the manual photos but there could be one there.

I'll try to drag it out of its corner when I have time and have a look inside, get some good photos perhaps. Would be interesting to see what capacitors they use in the PSU at any rate.
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

I ended up having a quick look the other day - when I had to uh... 'clean' the fuser out after running a sheet of plastic I thought was a laser-transparency but actually wasn't.

Capacitors in the PSU all looked like UCC or such, and seemed just fine. Now that I know how to get the thing apart I'll probably take a better look soon. Most parts just snap into place - very few screws actually, which is nice!
        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
        X