SHARP LC-70LE857U 2 - 5 blinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SHARP LC-70LE857U 2 - 5 blinks

Have a SHARP LC-70LE857U found on craigslist (free) - given the 2 long blinks - 5 fast blinks code. Spent some time reading all the blogs about this - dis-connecting T-CON cables (4) got the set running. With 3 T-CON ribbon cables in (pic 3) right side (from back of set) ribbon cable is out. right side of screen display is good (pic 1). reconnected 4 T-CON cables and disconnect right side ribbon cable (from back) going to side buffer tabs - have screen display but darker on left side (pic 4).

I assuming I need to "cut" right side (from back of set) buffer ribbon cables off ??
    Attached Files

Re: SHARP LC-70LE857U 2 - 5 blinks

Yep.... good find. My neighbor's set that we did the "operation" on has been stellar for over a month of regular use with the "bad drivers" removed on the other side.
    Last edited by budwich; 10-21-2015, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Yep. This is what you need to do. Sounds like you are on the right path.
      Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

"operation" complete. any idea what 2 horizontal lines on left top of screen ??? Lines are wider on left and disappear by the time they get to right side. they were there before I started the "operation" set has been on for an hour - no problems.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ajshoe; 10-21-2015, 03:41 PM.

Comment

my guess is you "cut" the tab flex cables instead of pulling them away from the panel... maybe. Take a close look at the tabs in the top portion on that side. Hopefully the actual "tab pad area" is clean.

Comment

also like to give some advice on taking off the bezel - have to be very careful as this bezel stabilizes the display screen. This being a 70" display - the panel display is very flimsy. This job really takes 2 people to hold display together when flipping it to get the screen facing up.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
              my guess is you "cut" the tab flex cables instead of pulling them away from the panel... maybe. Take a close look at the tabs in the top portion on that side. Hopefully the actual "tab pad area" is clean.
              If u look at the first post pic #4 - you'll see that those lines where there before I cut and lifted the tabs.

Comment

Wow nice job. If you cut the tabs you might want to attempt to just peel them off the rest of the way from the screen. That could be you're offending problem with the black line

Think we started a trend. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                  Wow nice job. If you cut the tabs you might want to attempt to just peel them off the rest of the way from the screen. That could be you're offending problem with the black line

Think we started a trend. Lol
                  I did cut and then lifted the tabs (5 of them) off gently. left no "pieces" that I could see.
                  look at first post - pic #4 = lines were there before "operation"

Have a feeling these lines were present before set went into 2-5 blinking
                  Last edited by ajshoe; 10-21-2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Yes there may be a chance that the tab on the other side controlling this line is damaged unfortunately. Thing is thou you need those. See how long it lasts.

Actually I retort my previous statement since the right side is working and the line disappears by the time it gets to the right side still tells me that there's something going on there on the left. My thoughts would be you could try to take a pencil eraser and gently clean the area as there may be some residue or a temporary short on the spot where the tab driver was once connected in that area resulting in the original problem. Of course do this with the set turned off
                    Last edited by freakaftr8; 10-21-2015, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I'll examine that tab tomorrow. let u know. You're probable right that this was the original start of the fault on this set. I noticed these lines when I was first started playing with the T-CON ribbon cables to get the set to turn on partially. .

Comment

Yes this seems to be the fault in Sharp lcd panels when a side driver fails. You will see the spot that is causing the issue when you get the cabling right to power up.

You guys with the sharp sets are lucky enough to have a shut down with an error code. Us with the Vizio models instead of shutting down with an error code like the blow up the t-con board due to lack of ocp protection circuitry.
                        Last edited by freakaftr8; 10-21-2015, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ajshoe View Post
                          also like to give some advice on taking off the bezel - have to be very careful as this bezel stabilizes the display screen. This being a 70" display - the panel display is very flimsy. This job really takes 2 people to hold display together when flipping it to get the screen facing up.
                          yep... same on the sharp. I had removed a few of the top bezel screws as I figured that the back bracing structure was sufficient. It was just barely. Before we flipped the thing back after the "operation", I made sure all the screws into the bezel were installed. The "flip" thereafter was much easier with less bending along the width of the panel. It still required two bodies though cause we are "weak old guys".... :-)

Comment

I did cut and then lifted the tabs (5 of them) off gently. left no "pieces" that I could see.
                            look at first post - pic #4 = lines were there before "operation"

Have a feeling these lines were present before set went into 2-5 blinking
                            I think that those lines are still likely associated with one of the tabs that was removed. I had similar lines on the set that I worked on. Once the tabs were removed, they did go away. Perhaps lucky as Freakaftr8 seems to think that perhaps the driver on the other side was "weaken" by the failure that you have removed. Hope it is not true (ie. about the opposite side)... look closely at the remove tab "pad area" and also if you can, perhaps try placing some light pressure on the opposite side remaining tabs (likely the top one or two)... maybe with the end of a pencil / eraser end to see if you can cause a "good change".
                            Last edited by budwich; 10-21-2015, 05:12 PM.

Comment

played with it some more - the removed buffer tab end - got one line fixed. Tried everything but that last faint line won't go away. Line is about 40 pixels down from top left of screen- hard to see in pic. It only goes about to middle of screen. I'll try applying some pressure to other side buffer tab. Pic is very nice but still not a good as my plasmas. My opinion !
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by ajshoe; 10-21-2015, 07:02 PM.

Comment

What did you end up doing to remove the line?

Comment

I am thinking that he removed the actual driver that is on the flex cable as opposed to "detaching" the flex cable from the panel.

Comment

played with it some more ....... Pic is very nice but still not a good as my plasmas. My opinion !
                                    maybe... :-) but did your "playing" also involve picture setup... :-) if not, then you are either watching what the original owner had set or factory defaults (eck!). :-)

Having said that, I haven't seen too many 70in. plasmas.... :-)
                                    Last edited by budwich; 10-21-2015, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                                      What did you end up doing to remove the line?
                                      lifted bezel enough in corner to examine buffer tab area. there was a small piece of ribbon cable still left. cleaned it and bigger line disappeared. Just tried other side buffer tab - massaging it - pressed it all along connection - no help. Line is very faint - had tv pic on - froze it so I could see line constantly (tv feature) but couldn't get it to disappear. Going to live with it.

thinking back - both lines diminished from left to right. problem is probably still on lifted tab side. I just don't see the short or damage and I looked for 30 minutes on it.
                                      Last edited by ajshoe; 10-21-2015, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                                        maybe... :-) but did your "playing" also involve picture setup... :-) if not, then you are either watching what the original owner had set or factory defaults (eck!). :-)

Having said that, I haven't seen too many 70in. plasmas.... :-)
                                        got a Samsung 63 plasma last week - replaced power supply - picture definitely beats this SHARP led LCD. personal opinion thou. This set does have a good pic from afar. Up close - see pixelation. May give this set to my local beer hangout - should definitely get me some beer for a while !

Comment

Working...
                                        X