Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird Voltages after recapping, wont post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Voltages after recapping, wont post.

PCCHIPS P17G, was working good just freeze up sometimes. Reccaped almost the whole board, w/good caps, problem is wont post, coils shows 0.3v and run extra-hot, but output solid caps shows 1.25v (right for pentium D), and input caps 10.85v. I dont know if it is one or all mosfet shorted, or could coils be bad? why i still get Vcore on output little caps?? i dont get it

thnx for help
    Attached Files
    I LOVE WWW.BADCAPS.NET

Re: Weird Voltages after recapping, wont post.

Anybody out there? :S:S
    I LOVE WWW.BADCAPS.NET

Comment

Knowing PCChips, you may have damaged the board when installing the caps. Also, it could be a non-cap-related issue (i.e. bad chipset). Did you use Low ESR caps? All the voltages sound right, but with non-Low ESR caps the ripple will be WAY out of spec, and the CPU won't like that (and you may fry it).

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie View Post
        Knowing PCChips, you may have damaged the board when installing the caps. Also, it could be a non-cap-related issue (i.e. bad chipset). Did you use Low ESR caps? All the voltages sound right, but with non-Low ESR caps the ripple will be WAY out of spec, and the CPU won't like that (and you may fry it).
        WHy is that buddy (about damaging the pcchips)?, I had BIG TIME trouble removing output caps, it was the hardest soldering ive ever seen.

I've cut all the source leg mosfet leg, and they measure infinity resistance between S-D, so, 95% prob. they're good.

Coils get ultra hot, but i've used good low esr caps. Chipset/south is not even warm? should it be?
        I LOVE WWW.BADCAPS.NET

Comment

There are only a few caps around cpu, so it might be that those must be supergood and superlow esr caps. You must compare the datasheets of the originals vs replacements, to verify that ripple current capabilities are close enough or better on replacements. Power source unit can also be (quickly) checked for leaking caps.

Comment

I'm almost giving up with this one....Maybe those ultra hot coils are just that way and problem is on Southbridge (mobo had toubles recognize HD), dont know if reflow or give up
            I LOVE WWW.BADCAPS.NET

Comment

Originally posted by Calchaqui View Post
              Chipset/south is not even warm? should it be?
              Yes... Judging by some of your other posts, it sounds like you have a fried SB.

Comment

May be a shorting socket pin, with it being a 775.....
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                  May be a shorting socket pin, with it being a 775.....
                  Dude, my Asus 775 board had this issue a few times; suddenly I get no post. Then, after examining things, i pop out the CPU and find a contact or two look oxidized. Clean and replace always fixed it.

By the way, there was no mention of the OP's power supply. If the board was freezing, it may have had bad caps, but sometimes the power supply caps going bad in turn cause yhe motherboard caps to fail. Now, that he has fresh caps on the board, the PSU might be laughing at the prospect of adequately firing up his new, low-impedance caps.
                  Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

I had BIG TIME trouble removing output caps, it was the hardest soldering ive ever seen.
                    Could be you damaged the board perhaps?
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Anybody out there? :S:S
                      What brand and model of power supply are you using. There is no way you should be getting 10.8V on those input caps since they are connected to the 12V rail. If that really is the case, you may have a weak or bad PSU.

Comment

Working...
                      X