Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

400W PSU... is it worth trying to repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 400W PSU... is it worth trying to repair?

Originally posted by stj View Post
    rubycon YXJ are what i use for small caps under 4.7uf, for everything else i use panasonic FR
    I wouldn't... use Panasonic FR for everything, that is.
    Some PSUs, especially older ones, can be sensitive to very low ESR caps like Panasonic FR and may oscillate badly. And even if the PSU doesn't oscillate badly, it can still output more ripple than it did with the stock barely-low ESR caps. So for older PSUs, the most "far away" I go is Chemicon KY and Nichicon HE. Chemicon KZE and Rubycon ZL/ZLH - only on the 5VSB rail and/or very very rarely if nothing else is available.

On the other hand, Rubycon YXJ is a very good choice for older PSUs due to not being that low in ESR. Same goes for Nichicon PS, PM, PJ, and PW - I use those all the time.

As for the 400 Watt rating: I concur with everything that Wester547 said - it looks to me more like a 200-250 Watt PSU. Maybe 300 Watts peak for a few moments. But definitely not 400W. The older FSP units that are rated for 400 Watts are massively more overbuilt that this.
    Last edited by momaka; 07-30-2018, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Most of the capacitors i was thinking of using were Rubycon YXJ.
      I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

^ They are cheaper than pretty much anything else on Digikey right now too, so I don't see why not.

Comment

Working...
        X