Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LCD TVs now plagued by bad caps issues

Originally posted by pentium
    Something tells me I will be seeing an influx of LCD tv's in the trash soon.
    Hi Pentium

Oh, you will!

Only one teensie little problem:

When those tiny Chinese timebombs called Capacitors time out and go "poof"....
    Generally speaking a whole lot of people start punching the fragile (and very expensive) LCD screen.

And THEN they throw it in the garbage!

Or start calling you up and saying: "Could you have a look at my TV?"

Oh well.

One look at eBay under "LCD AS-IS" show just how clumsy people get when stuff stops working...
    Last edited by KeriJane; 09-09-2008, 09:21 PM.
    The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Oh shoot, cat is out of bag now.
      That is my usual search on ebay,
      and I always wondered who was I was bidding against.
      I've got quite a few of the shattered screens.
      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by pentium
        Something tells me I will be seeing an influx of LCD tv's in the trash soon.
        I hear ya.
        Been keeping eyes peeled.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by arneson
          Oh shoot, cat is out of bag now.
          That is my usual search on ebay,
          and I always wondered who was I was bidding against.
          I've got quite a few of the shattered screens.
          Eyes peeled on eBay too.
          Mostly for PC monitors but I check for TV's too.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

You only need to know how to solder, what low ESR caps are, and how to understand the size and the rating of capacitors to be able to replace them.

I am not experienced in power supply design or any other electronics subject, but my father is an experienced electrical engineer so he taught me how to solder and do a few other things.

When something doesn't work anymore, I usually do an inspection on the insides of it to try to determine if the failure is repairable or permanent. My two BenQ FP731 monitors decided to die on me a long time ago, and instead of throwing them into the garbage bin I decided to open them up. With the help of my father (he was basically doing all of the diagnosis) I found that the problem was a blown fuse and dead transistors. With the transistors replaced with suitable replacements,the fuse replaced with an identical fuse, and the Elite capacitors replaced with Panasonic capacitors, my monitors worked perfectly again.

Also, CapXon caps are good in power supplies, but I haven't see them anywhere on motherboards.
            Last edited by Newbie2; 09-10-2008, 01:59 PM.
            My gaming PC:
            AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
            ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
            PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
            G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
            TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
            WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
            ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
            Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
            Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
            Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
            Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

CapXon on MoBo's weren't uncommon a few years ago.
              I have/have had some i810 and i815 boards with them.
              Don't remember ever seeing any on boards newer than that.

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

We just got a new Panasonic Plasma about about 3 weeks ago.

When my father and I were shopping for a new TV to replace our 16 year old Sanyo, I insisted that we get a Panasonic Plasma and nothing else (or perhaps a nice Pioneer, but those are expensive). We narrowed our choices down to either the Panny or a Samsung. I convinced my father that the Panasonic was probably loaded with Japanese-made Matsushita components and that I just didn't trust Samsung for some reason. We went for the Panny.

And now I read this. Looks like we made the right choice . A quick peek in there with a flashlight reveals nothing but Rubycons, plus a Japanese-made Matsushita panel. .

The TV is a TH-42PX80U btw. 720p, 42 inch Plasma. We got it for $699 on Labor Day, which is a steal IMO.
                Last edited by weirdlookinguy; 09-22-2008, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Very good choice, don't drop her.
                  Jim

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy

When my father and I were shopping for a new TV to replace our 16 year old Sanyo, I insisted that we get a Panasonic Plasma and nothing else (or perhaps a nice Pioneer, but those are expensive). We narrowed our choices down to either the Panny or a Samsung. I convinced my father that the Panasonic was probably loaded with Japanese-made Matsushita components and that I just didn't trust Samsung for some reason. We went for the Panny.

And now I read this. Looks like we made the right choice . A quick peek in there with a flashlight reveals nothing but Rubycons, plus a Japanese-made Matsushita panel. .

The TV is a TH-42PX80U btw. 720p, 42 inch Plasma. We got it for $699 on Labor Day, which is a steal IMO.

Awesome to hear that about the caps. I've been wondering if Sanyo and Panasonic would be the best brands to buy from, since they probably use their own caps.
                    With how often caps are killing TVs it's a serious consideration.

Although it's odd to hear your Panasonic has Rubycons in it. I can understand multi-sourcing, but I'm surprised if they'd have any problem sourcing their *own* caps.
                    Last edited by gdement; 09-23-2008, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Probably they got the Rubycon caps at a better deal than Panasonic caps from their electronic components part of Panasonic.
                      My gaming PC:
                      AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                      ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                      PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                      G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                      TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                      WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                      ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                      Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                      Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                      Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                      Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by gdement
                        Awesome to hear that about the caps. I've been wondering if Sanyo and Panasonic would be the best brands to buy from, since they probably use their own caps.
                        With how often caps are killing TVs it's a serious consideration.
                        I don't know if Sanyo and Panasonic are best but I know Samsungs show up with caps problems.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Samyoung caps is what they used. Not bad in some but I do still find some gone bad.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Wizard?
                            You mean what the Samsungs use?

I just found a bunch of Sam Youngs in a Gateway FPD1810 LCD monitor.
                            Works fine, I just wanted to know what was in it.
                            All are good so far.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

but samsung also buy caps from other makers too. Like Taicon.

It's matter of following the best price at moment of buying in bulk.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Sam Young is in cahoots with Chemicon.
                                Taicon is in cahoots with Nichicon.
                                I think they are about the same quality.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Wasn't SamYoung linked to GSC/Evercon?

I took a closer look at the Panasonic today. There's a few Nichicons in there too. As far as I could see, they're all 105C caps. . Large Nichicons were brown, large Rubycons were blue, the rest were black, I couldn't tell what series they were but I could see 105C markings on some of them. I was kinda surprised to not find Matsushita caps in there but I can't complain about Rubycons.

Speaking of the old Sanyo, I opened it up before we pitched it. It was full of Panasonic and, get this, Jamicon. The thing lasted 16 years before the sound went out and we decided it was time to upgrade though. Maybe Jamicon was decent back in the day?

Comment

Sam Young are crap, at least from my minor experience.

Comment

>> Wasn't SamYoung linked to GSC/Evercon? <<
                                      GSC/Evercon claimed so on their site at one time.
                                      It was in the company history garbage.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy

I think you made the right choice and it will probably prove it's value over time. My father has a 14yr. old 53" Panasonic Rear Projection Giant with the full built in stand that hasn't even sneezed to date , while being in the basement as well. As a note : MSI mobo's have Rubycon's in them as well. Personally I didn't like the Panasonic stereos of years ago , but they have proved to be both competitive and reliable since then.

Comment

Originally posted by chipper
                                          Personally I didn't like the Panasonic stereos of years ago.
                                          Me either:
                                          When Panasonic first started out with radios/stereos years ago they specialized in the CN/TW ultra cheap unreliable junk. Things like those small portable Panasonic AM or AM/FM radios used to be everywhere in with the other 'junk' by check-out stands in drug stores, gas stations, supermarkets, and similar.
                                          -
                                          First significant (as in not check-out stand cheapie) Panasonic anything I ever had was a pre-boombox erra type boombox with a cassette player/recorder. It was such a piece of crap I trashed it and went bought a GE. (The kids in here won't remember GE. They were low frills but good enough for most people and 'just worked'.) That radio ultimately became the 'shop radio' and lasted like 20 years. I don't have it anymore but it probably still works if someone hasn't trashed it.
                                          -
                                          I refused to even consider Panasonic ANYTHING for like 15 years after the bad experience.
                                          -
                                          Now they seem to be one of the good companies and I'd probably at least consider them if I were looking for something.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                          -
                                          -

Comment

Working...
                                          X