homemade bench PSUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

homemade bench PSUs

Actually I'm not trying to critique my or anyone's homemade bench PSUs but if you want to, go ahead. This is just meant to be a picture gallery of homemade tools

This is my low power bench PSU that I use for charging batteries or powering whatnot. It's a CC/CV design, 1.2V to ~14V. Analog meters. The pots on the side are the current and voltage limits, banana jacks and meters are on the front. It's a LM317T reference design except I used parts I had on hand.

The main rectifier is that TO220 in the upper right corner just underneath the white meter (current). Black meter is for voltage. Between the two meters is an LED that lights when it's current limited. The circuit board with the op amp and LM317T is ghetto attached (it's just hanging there...). The main pass transistor is underneath the bulk capacitor somewhere mounted on that thick metal aluminum heatsink salvaged from a dead ATX PSU (quite possibly from the same one that this case was borrowed from).

Yes, that's a fan attached out the back.

This is definitely a hack job and I've killed the pass transistor on the bottom due to overheating (I should have designed it so that I can swap out the transistor more easily, or even better, used something beefier than a TIP42), alas this bench PSU has been one of my most often used tools in my arsenal.
    Attached Files

Re: homemade bench PSUs

I have enough parts to built two or three bench PSUs like that, but I've never bothered. At this point, I'm just used to whipping out various (switching) power adapters and using those in place of a bench PSU. The good thing is, they are all protected, so I have nothing to worry about when it comes to short-circuit or over-current.

However, I've been thinking of building my own for quite some time now. I have an HP 6291A bench PSU, but it's in very sad condition to say the least. So TBH, I would much rather work on it than build my own from scratch.

Comment

Re: homemade bench PSUs

Yeah I later got the big iron 0-18V 0-15A SCR PSU, as well as always having a fairly large pile of switching PSUs from single output to multi output. Alas I needed something prior to getting the big iron that I could CC control down to the milliamp for charging small batteries - so lead acid and lithium ion cells get their two-phase charging automatically.

Next I need something with a bit higher voltage...though not that critical.

Comment

Working...
      X