GA-7N400 Total Capacitance question - parallel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GA-7N400 Total Capacitance question - parallel

A friend's computer recently died. It is a Gigabyte GA-7N400.

There are 3 Sanyo caps around the CPU that are obviously bloated (see pic).

EC47 - 1500uF 16V Sanyo WG
    EC52 - 3300uF 6.3V Sanyo WG
    EC53 - 3300uF 6.3V Sanyo WG

As you can see in the pic EC51 and EC56 are empty. Now the local electronic stores don't carry low ESR caps, but I do have three Nichicon HZ(M) 2200uF 10V caps in stock. Canada Post is on strike as well so getting caps via mail/customs is a crapshoot.

I measured and verified that I have continuity between EC51, EC52, EC53 and E56.

1) Can I correctly assume that EC51, EC52, EC53 and E56 are in parallel?

2) If yes, can I use three Nichicon HZ(M) 2200uF 10V caps in place of two 3300uF 6.3 Sanyo WG caps? The total capacitance would be 6600uF.

3) Do you think I will be able to punch a hole through the EC56 eyelets so I can get the cap in thru hole?

4) I also don't have a 1500uF 16V cap. I do have a 2200uF 16V Nichicon HZ(M) and I KNOW I should keep the capacitance the same, but given the postal strike what are your thoughts about going up in capacitance on a motherboard?
    Attached Files
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Re: GA-7N400 Total Capacitance question - parallel

1) If you have 0 ohms between the + legs ~and~ 0 ohms between the - legs then they are in parallel.

2) If the HZ has enough lower ESR I think that would be okay. Probably does.

3) Solder iron + SS needle method.

4) If that's VRM to CPU it should work okay.
    *Slight* chance the PSU will sense a short when starting up or it will take too long for volts to come up causing PSU to kick itself off. Things would have to be right on the edge of tolerances for that to happen. Not likely to be an issue, just pre-explaining in case you see it to minimize your hair loss.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Re: GA-7N400 Total Capacitance question - parallel

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
      1) If you have 0 ohms between the + legs ~and~ 0 ohms between the - legs then they are in parallel.
      Yes, I should have specified 0.0 ohms in my original post.

4) Not likely to be an issue, just pre-explaining in case you see it to minimize your hair loss.
      Other things in life give me grey hairs. Fixing this type of stuff does not even if I'm struggling.

Thanks for the confirmation. It is appreciated.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
      X