Nikon Coolpix - bad caps ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nikon Coolpix - bad caps ?

I have several older Nikon CoolPix cameras. All of these cameras are powered by 2xAA NiMh batteries. One is a E4600, which I purcahsed new in 2005, and use it extensively (possibly over 50k shutter clicks). It has had batteries installed almost continuously over the years. This camera I have no issues with.

About 4 years ago, I picked up a used E4600 off craigslist, mostly as a backup in case the primary camera dies some day. The replacement E4600 does not hold settings very well when swapping batteries.

A few months back, I picked up a E7600 at a flea market. It works fine, other than it dumps settings immediately after removing the batteries.

The original E4600 camera does fine about keeping its settings when swapping or charging batteries.

As all of these cameras were manufactured in the 2005/2006 time frame, could the problem with dropping settings be the result of caps going bad ?

I have replaced caps in a Dell monitor from that era, but I am initially hesitant about taking a small pocket camera apart to go look for the caps.

Any thoughts ?

TIA

Re: Nikon Coolpix - bad caps ?

Be careful, the capacitors can be very similar with AG-2 batteries types but hard to find.
    I have a Kodak Z8612IS with same simptoms. After disassemble, I found a oxidized Shoei-Taiyo Yuden PAS414HR-VA5R capacitor.
    I barely managed to order ipcs from a Chinese website, he arrived a week ago but I had no time/mood to replace it and check if it fixes the problem with keeping the date and settings.

Comment

Working...
    X