Cisco AP won't come on randomly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cisco AP won't come on randomly

I have a Cisco AP1252 that randomly won't come on and all three led's are solid red. I noticed that when I am heating up (hairdryer) the area where the 4 caps are located the AP has a much better success rate to start up (and working normally afterwards).
    Even if I let it cool down for like half an hour it will still start sometimes.
    The caps tested well (in circuit) with ESR meter - they are in parallel tho. As well no bulging or leaking.
    So I am really not sure how to find the fault here. Bad solder joint? Caps?
    Attached Files

Re: Cisco AP won't come on randomly

is that liquid between the pair on the right?

put your iron on the connections and see if it smells.

Comment

Hehe sorry for confusing you. I already put a bit of flux there since i planned to remove them but then , after thinking over, I might experience some cold solder joints.
      BTW: let it totally cool down now and dead again (only three solid leds). What would you suggest?
      Last edited by sebr; 02-27-2016, 04:45 PM.

Comment

change them, lifespan on smd is rubish anyway.
        use fullsize caps at a 90' angle.

Comment

Just finished replacing those 4 but nothing changed :-(
          There are 2 other caps (100V / 10uF) that are obviously just for smoothing the PoE. They tested OK but I replaced them as well. Still no luck

Comment

all i can think of is reflowing stuff then.

Comment

Well, unfortunately I don't habe a reflow oven, only a hotair station and heatgun. Maybe I give it a try with the heatgun. What temp / time is best practice for preheating / reflowing a board? Normal oven in kitchen won't get hot enough i guess.

Comment

If you have freezer spray (or an up-side down can of air duster) you may be able to heat\freeze and narrow down the temperature sensitive part.
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

i would use the hot-air station to just reflow parts individually rather than baking the board.

maybe you can use the station to just heat specific areas to pinpoint the problem.

Comment

I removed some shieldings and there are lots of BGA IC's. So next I will try to heat these up as I could not find which one cause the problems. But i highly suspect them all because the get very hot during normal operation and have thermal pads which they touch the housing.
                    Before I ruin it completely: which nozzle, airflow and temps are proper for this kind of job? NoClean flux is available.
                    Attached Files

Comment

small 3-4mm nozzle, low airflow, temp - enough to melt solder

Comment

The electrolytic capacitors in the picutre are Nichicon UUD Series (low-ESR), with their "oval" insignia of Nichicon:
                        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
                        X