Gigabyte GA-6BXD Dual Pentium 3 600 steady long beeps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte GA-6BXD Dual Pentium 3 600 steady long beeps

As the title says I have a Gigabyte GA-6BXD motherboard with 2 pentium 3 600/512/100/2.05v S1 procs. I recently pulled this board out of the case where it has sat for many many years, but I would like to get it going again . I have already tried resetting cmos as well as changing the battery, tried various combinations of old memory and graphics cards (PCI and AGP) but nothing seems to change. Just a steady stream of long beeps. I am getting a steady 2.10 and 2.07 volts to CPU 1 & 2 respectively, and the memory voltage is about 2.43ish. The only power supply I have to test with is a crappy diablotek PSU, which does have -5 and -12 voltages to the 24pin ATX plug (I don't know if this board requires it but I know some old boards do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I would love to get this thing going again!
    Attached Files

Re: Gigabyte GA-6BXD Dual Pentium 3 600 steady long beeps

doesnt sdram run off the +3.3?
    check your power supply!
    edit toss your power supply!diablotek are garbage.

Comment

I'll have to find another power supply to test it with. Not an easy task though, I tossed all my broken PSU's and Mobo's just a few months before I started learning to repair them

Comment

Can't find the edit button, if there is one. Should have been 3.43 volts, reading from the caps for the memory. A little closer to spec :p

Comment

The Diablotek is still garbage. Only good for scrap parts.

Comment

Long beeps means memory error. Try with only one CPU first. Clean the memory slots as best as you can, those old boards are finicky. Use only one stick of memory and don't put in any video card as of now. Rinse and repeat until you get one long beep and three short beeps - this indicates a video card error, which means the system has gotten past detecting memory. Then plug a GPU in and enjoy.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
              Long beeps means memory error. Try with only one CPU first. Clean the memory slots as best as you can, those old boards are finicky. Use only one stick of memory and don't put in any video card as of now. Rinse and repeat until you get one long beep and three short beeps - this indicates a video card error, which means the system has gotten past detecting memory. Then plug a GPU in and enjoy.
              Try some compressed air in the mem slots or something... happened to a bunch of socket 939 boards i have... they got dust in the ram slots, was from sitting around for 6-12 months.

Comment

Ok, so I tried testing with one stick of ram at a time, no video card, and with only one CPU. So far I haven't gotten any different results. I have cleaned the memory slots with a soft brush and then some compressed air, and cleaned the memory and CPU contacts with Deox-IT as well.

As I type this I'm starting to remember something about having to clear the cmos to make any changes to the memory configuration with a really old motherboard, I only cleared it a few times and it has a new battery. Another thing I noticed it has a few scratches on the backside through some of the traces, but it really doesn't look that bad, I even tested continuity on several and they should be good. I wish I still had all those Pentium 2 proc's I threw away years ago

Comment

scratches through traces will cause all kinds of trouble!

Comment

Yep long beeps indicates some sort of memory issue. Try swapping them around, different brand memory, different slots etc. I would try to get it to work with one memory module before adding more modules. And try a different power supply, I have seen dodgy quality power supply have these kinds of issues. I have also seen some motherboards being picky with particular brand/series of memory.

Comment

check the CMOS battery voltage, if its low/nonexistant try a new CMOS battery... some of them refuse to boot without a working battery

Edit: nevermind, new battery. Maybe if you could take a few photos of these scratches?

Comment

Some motherboards does not work with only one CPU. Check the manual and see if yours does.

Comment

Working...
                        X