This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Scored an Acer Aspire 7540G. Athlon M300, 4GB RAM, no HDD and battery. Seller said powers on but shuts down soon enough. Will try to see if it needs a reflow, haven't tested it myself yet.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
      That's not a Dallas RTC, it is a BenchMark probably BQ3287 or similar
      Yo ain't fooling me boy
      Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      I just noticed that....I glanced and saw the 'clock'. Looks like someone has replaced it. Ok, so the battery didn't last 30 years!! Ya got me there.
      It might have, these have a really long lifetime!
      Dallas states 10 years but experience has shown me it is at least double that in most cases.
      I would imagine the other manufacturers have similar lifetimes, even though I never ran across them.
      The reason I noticed it is because I had to build a small Arduino thing to be able to program a few externally, and it was based off the original source which was a IBM chip:
      https://fritzing.org/projects/ibm-rtc-on-arduino/
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

the old ones last about 25years - the newer ones dont, the fuckers put a smaller cell in them!

i know because when they fail i cut them open and replace the cell with a cr2032 holder.

Comment

Already posted about this HERE.

Scored an Eaton Powerware 9130 double-conversion UPS for free recently. Needed a new battery pack for it, so another battery pack got stripped for it's batteries. It's currently powering the home and Tech Room network stacks.
          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
          RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
          - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
          - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
          - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
          - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            i know because when they fail i cut them open and replace the cell with a cr2032 holder.
            If it's something of mine that I know I'd never sell, I'd do that.....but I absolutely refuse to cobble a customer machine like that. Yes, it works.....but there's absolutely no way to make that look like it wasn't done by a 5yr old....

I like it even better when they're not socketed either.....then I get to charge even more for the socket & additional labor to install it.....but they will get a new RTC.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

but will they get a "new" rtc? or one that has been on a shelf for 10 years?

i dont trust sellers with rtc's - even big ones like rs or mouser.
              the temptation to treat them like semiconductors and order 5000 with the intention of selling them over many years is too great.

Comment

It's my understanding that the RTC's don't drain on the shelf, until activated during first use.
                I'm sure they have a shelf life like caps though...
                Goshen NY, USA

Comment

ha ha
                  they may use lithium manganese or some other low discharge cell, but they still slowly drain.

Comment

but will they get a "new" rtc? or one that has been on a shelf for 10 years?

i dont trust sellers with rtc's - even big ones like rs or mouser.
                    the temptation to treat them like semiconductors and order 5000 with the intention of selling them over many years is too great.
                    Digikey has datecodes on theirs IIRC (usually where I get them)...that said, I've never had a problem with one. It's the ebay ones you'd probably have to watch.

They do sell a lot of them, a lot of industrial equipment still uses them....or so I'm told....but I've attempted to order them from digikey and a few times they've been out of them.so I always know they've got a fresh stock. I have a client that sends me a lot (probably half a dozen per year) of retro Gateway2k and other retro motherboards that have them hard mounted....I order sockets and new RTC's and recap if needed.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Scored an HP G62-a35so. Phenom II P820 and HD5470 1GB, 320GB Scorpio Black in pretty good shape (99% health due to one "weak" sector), 4GB DDR3 (2x2GB).

Repasted with some Deepcool Z5 (currently out of stock for MX4, should get one tomorrow) and currently trying to get Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC in there, though it's probably going to be a bit of a PITA to do.
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Another friend showed up bearing gifts....another one of these super cool friend that just can't be bought.....

The pick of the litter!! Old beige fully enclosed rack with all the keys and 9x 120vac 120mm exhaust fans!

and a black APC rack, open in the rear.

I have some ideas for these....in due time!! A very special thanks to one of our regular members.

Because of the overwhelming coolness of this, I won't mention the driveway incident!
                        Attached Files
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Another friend showed up bearing gifts....another one of these super cool friend that just can't be bought.....

The pick of the litter!! Old beige fully enclosed rack with all the keys and 9x 120vac 120mm exhaust fans!

[Deleted pics for brevity]

and a black APC rack, open in the rear.

[Deleted pics for brevity]

I have some ideas for these....in due time!! A very special thanks to one of our regular members.

Because of the overwhelming coolness of this, I won't mention the driveway incident!
                          That be me. Attached are pics my mom took this morning after we loaded my truck (one rack was stored by them, the other by myself).

These were found by my wife/mom at Purdue University Surplus... $50 for the APC rack, $40 for the enclosed monster. Topcat and my end worked out a deal (not disclosing, other than that I got two 22" 1080P LCD's as part of it), and I had some other goodies for him too (which he didn't post, funny enough?), so it all worked out... Other than the snow!

Try as I might, my poor RWD 1984 F150 wasn't able to make it up the hill to his shop. Good thing he had a 4x4 Diesel... we needed it! (Insert Ford/Mopar joke here).

Good excuse to take a day off work... thanks to the pandemic, my usual annual vacation burning duties aren't happening this year, so I gotta burn my time somehow
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by ratdude747; 02-20-2021, 01:32 AM.
                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Finally unified my coding + work laptops (HP G6 + Acer 5740 - A4-3300M and i3-380M respectively) into one machine - an dv6-3135sk (w/ 3100sl casing, that cafe brown looking pretty good alongside my silver-ish dv7-4150so) with HD5470 and an i5-480M. Better than having a Phenom II X3 N830 that would run hotter than the sun. Also have finally got the switchable graphics to run on it (through HP's original SP50640 Win7 driver). The only thing different to my dv7 (besides the dv6 being Intel and the dv7 being AMD) is that while the dv7 automatically switches between its HD4200 IGP and HD5650 discrete graphics, the dv6 will ask me if I want to switch (that's actually true to the Win7 driver for the dv7 as well, except I have no idea why 10 decided to automatically switch them without asking - yes, Catalyst is installed on both.) between the Intel HM55 GMA4600 and the HD5470 beforehand.
                            Main rig:
                            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                            16GB DDR3-1600
                            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                            Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                              That be me. Attached are pics my mom took this morning after we loaded my truck (one rack was stored by them, the other by myself).

These were found by my wife/mom at Purdue University Surplus... $50 for the APC rack, $40 for the enclosed monster. Topcat and my end worked out a deal (not disclosing, other than that I got two 22" 1080P LCD's as part of it), and I had some other goodies for him too (which he didn't post, funny enough?), so it all worked out... Other than the snow!

Try as I might, my poor RWD 1984 F150 wasn't able to make it up the hill to his shop. Good thing he had a 4x4 Diesel... we needed it! (Insert Ford/Mopar joke here).

Good excuse to take a day off work... thanks to the pandemic, my usual annual vacation burning duties aren't happening this year, so I gotta burn my time somehow
                              My warped mind is already hatching a plan for that APC rack...
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

a shower unit?

Comment

a shower unit?
                                  Nah, 2 in the house and even my shop has one.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Nice racks!

Wait, did I just make an inappropriate comment?

If the beige one is in the garage, I guess it must be too big for the electronics work area, lol.

Also curious... what's that green tub full of PCBs seen in this pic?
                                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1613794391

Oh-oh, sounds like you guys traded bumper stickers somewhere along the way?

Ah, what a better thing to do on a sunny day, no?

Really cool pictures, BTW!

That neighborhood reminds me of what this place kind of looked like 20 years ago before every little house sold and got torn down for one of those newer "McMansions".

I'm assuming the masked guy is TC?? He looks like a total Ninja, lol.

These were found by my wife/mom at Purdue University Surplus... $50 for the APC rack, $40 for the enclosed monster.
                                    It's good to hear they are selling their old equipment.

Here, it all just goes to "recyclers" now. Every once in a while, I might see one in the local CL from a local office disbanding / moving and selling old equipment. But from what I've seen, most racks didn't look anywhere near as good. I recall only one did, and of course it got taken very quickly. Not that I was looking to buy it or anything. But curious anyways, as usual.

Always!
                                    If you rack too many days, there's a good chance you may loose them one day if/when you stop working at that place... so use them when you can (but not all of them, of course. )

Nah, 2 in the house and even my shop has one.
                                    LOL. I guess those dirty PCs with blown Fuhjyyus get ya after a while.

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                                    Already posted about this HERE.

Scored an Eaton Powerware 9130 double-conversion UPS for free recently.
                                    Nice.
                                    I like Eaton UPSs... or at least they seem better-built than APC. (Though I am judging by the really large ones we had at my previous job - about the size of a mini-fridge. These used regular 12V "car-sized" batteries and would really do their stated run times. The equivalent-sized APCs we had were complete garbage - never could reach even 1/3 of their stated time and sometimes "ate" random electronic devices when they came online... and we had this happen with multiple units in multiple locations, so I don't think it's a coincidence... though it could also be the wiring/setup at the locations too. In any case, those APCs were only nice because we could hot-swap the batteries in them, since they were modular. With the Eaton's with the car batts, they had to be brought offline and bypassed for a battery swap. They were much older units too, BTW. Still, they performed better than the APCs and also weighted like 2x as much, despite being nearly the same size on the outside.)
                                    Last edited by momaka; 02-20-2021, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                      Nice racks!

Wait, did I just make an inappropriate comment?
                                      mmmm....racks!!

If the beige one is in the garage, I guess it must be too big for the electronics work area, lol.
                                      It also weighs 300+ pounds.....so it's just resting there until I figure out what I want to do with it. The less I have to move it, the better! Ratdude and I had a hell of a time moving it, even with a professional appliance moving dolly. It's big, awkward, and plain friggin heavy! Having the trays on slides, I don't necessarily have to run rackmount systems in it, PC cases will sit in this nicely. This one is just an absolute work of beige art....I don't have the heart to modify it.....but it will get used for something!

Also curious... what's that green tub full of PCBs seen in this pic?
                                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1613794391
                                      That's just a bunch of boards for scrap.... There's more in the attic.....but these were in the garage scattered around....I've been organizing. I'm not done picking at them yet (not recycler fodder), so that's why they're still here.

Oh-oh, sounds like you guys traded bumper stickers somewhere along the way?
                                      Nah, nothing like that...just a Dodge pulling a Ford up a snowy hill...

As for the black APC rack, the only hint at this point....add it into the Dolby thread..... That rack is on wheels and isn't miserably heavy....and black/modern/common....it won't bother me to modify it.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

You should set up an old-skool network running out of that beige rack. Also, nice touch with the wooden Badcaps.net sign.
                                        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                                          You should set up an old-skool network running out of that beige rack. Also, nice touch with the wooden Badcaps.net sign.
                                          I've considered that....but doing that would force THIS into retirement....and that would be heartbreaking!
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X