Dimension 2350, Surprise, Surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimension 2350, Surprise, Surprise

I acquired a used 2350 from a client who got a new machine. It was still working well, so I opened it up to do a recap and psu replacement. It is a 2.2 GHz P4, 100 FSB, i845 chipset, nothing particularly special.

Surprise, surprise... the board is populated with Rubycon MBZ. In a Dell. Go figure.

Even more surprising was opening up the 200w Mitec PSU and finding more Rubycon. The box is at least 5 years old and powered up 24 hours. No bulgers, no nothing. I'm still tossing out the PSU, due to age, limited power, and 80mm fans.

I'm reinstalling XP Pro on this machine and giving it to my rocker daughter.

Re: Dimension 2350, Surprise, Surprise

Originally posted by bgavin
    I acquired a used 2350 from a client who got a new machine. It was still working well, so I opened it up to do a recap and psu replacement. It is a 2.2 GHz P4, 100 FSB, i845 chipset, nothing particularly special.

Surprise, surprise... the board is populated with Rubycon MBZ. In a Dell. Go figure.

Even more surprising was opening up the 200w Mitec PSU and finding more Rubycon. The box is at least 5 years old and powered up 24 hours. No bulgers, no nothing. I'm still tossing out the PSU, due to age, limited power, and 80mm fans.
    I'm not a fan of Willamette Pentium 4s ad the SDRAM is obviously a bottleneck for them - add slow to slow. It should suffice for audio recording if equipped with at least 512 MB of ram - save money for a good external sound card, such as M-audio, Motu, Terratec and others.
    The psu is old but useful for any Pentium 2 or 3 configuration: try to sell or even gift it.

Zandrax
    Have an happy life.

Comment

I threw the old PSU out.

100 FSB and SDRAM is certainly not the fastest horse in the race, but the board is stable. It is more than sufficient to run Linux based servers for my business, or to give to my rocker daughter to handle MySpace and fan mail.

The machine has a gig of SDRAM installed, and I figure the $40 (discounted from the bill) was well worth it. I was quite surprised to find MBZ on the system board. Especially on a 5-year old Dell.

Comment

A 2.2 P4 is a Northwood, as Williamette topped out at 2.0.. I thought the 2350's took DDR RAM, not SDRAM... I know i845 came in both SDR and DDR varieties...

Comment

My very old version of CPU-Z reported the memory as DDR-SDRAM.

I ran the latest CPUZ and it reports PC2100 DDR installed, and yes it is a Northwood. I rebuilt it from scratch a few days back. Runs just fine. Yes, I have to read it more carefully...

I'm picking up a P4 2400/533 chip to see if it will run in this board. The board is a Mitac 07W080 manufactured for Dell.

Comment

I worked on my in-laws Dell 2350 last week (in Cali).
            Same board.

While I know the chipset supports 533-FSB it I could find nothing to indicate the BIOS does. Any mention of that board at Dell listed only 400MHz FSB.
            -
            Let me know if the 533MHz works and if so with what BIOS version.

~~~ Thanks.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

The Dell 2350 has the i845GL chipset, which supports only a 400MHz FSB. Your 2.4B P4 will run at most 1.8GHz.

Comment

The ge~fly is right.
                http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/845gl/index.htm
                I saw it was the i845GL but didn't look it up.
                I assumed (wrong) that the FSB was the same the i845GV's I've been messing with.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Originally posted by geforcefly
                  The Dell 2350 has the i845GL chipset, which supports only a 400MHz FSB. Your 2.4B P4 will run at most 1.8GHz.
                  Sorry, but CPUZ says otherwise. It is humming along at 2.20 GHz for both Core and Stock speeds. FSB is 400 Mhz and multiplier is 22x.

Comment

A P4 2400/533 has an 18x multiplier so what do you have in there?
                    P4 3000/533??

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by geforcefly
                      Bgavin's cpu is not the 2.4B version, but the plain 2.4: Northwood-A core, fsb 400MHz, 22x multiplier, 512 KB 2nd level cache.
                      Among the 845 family the plain 845, the 845M and the 845GL supports only an fsb of 400 MHz, others supports both 400 and 533: what's your Dell's chipset, bgavin?

Zandrax
                      Have an happy life.

Comment

I haven't over-clocked in years and so there are tweeks I don't know about.
                        I'm just trying to figure out what Bgavin did out of curiosity.
                        -
                        I don't question the chipset.
                        If the board is original it's an i845GL and 400FSB.
                        -

He said the FSB is at 400.
                        Makes sense with 22x multiplier to be 2.2GHz at 400FSB.
                        -

But he said he he was putting in a 2.4GHz/533 CPU.
                        That would be an 18x multiplier I think.
                        -
                        To get 22x with a 533FSB CPU then the CPU is more like 3.0GHz P4.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                          But he said he he was putting in a 2.4GHz/533 CPU.
                          That would be an 18x multiplier I think.
                          -
                          To get 22x with a 533FSB CPU then the CPU is more like 3.0GHz P4.

Now it makes sense: yes, the 2.4/533 has a 18x multiplier. If bgavin iinstalls it on its Dell and the mobo recognizes it, it'l run at 100*18 = 1800 MHz. Chips are based on the came core, so the 1.8 GHz will be slower than the 2.4 one.

Zandrax
                          Have an happy life.

Comment

This is the one with the Rubycons:

Name Intel Pentium 4
                            Code Name Northwood
                            Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.20GHz
                            Package Socket 478 mPGA
                            Family/Model/Stepping F.2.4
                            Extended Family/Model F.2
                            Brand ID 9
                            Core Stepping B0
                            Technology 0.13 um
                            Core Speed 2192.9 MHz
                            Multiplier x Bus speed 22.0 x 99.7 MHz
                            Rated Bus speed 398.7 MHz
                            Stock frequency 2200 MHz

I was going to pump it up a bit, but gave it to my daughter instead. It is such a big step up from her old Coppermine, that she is thrilled.

This one is a client's server:

Name Intel Pentium 4
                            Code Name Northwood
                            Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
                            Package Socket 478 mPGA
                            Family/Model/Stepping F.2.4
                            Extended Family/Model F.2
                            Brand ID 9
                            Core Stepping B0
                            Technology 0.13 um
                            Core Speed 1800.0 MHz
                            Multiplier x Bus speed 18.0 x 100.0 MHz
                            Rated Bus speed 400.0 MHz
                            Stock frequency 1800 MHz

Northbridge Intel i845G rev. A1
                            Southbridge Intel 82801DB (ICH4) rev. 01
                            Memory Type DDR
                            Memory Size 1024 MBytes
                            Memory Frequency 133.3 MHz (3:4)

Mainboard Model D845GBV

I am hunting for sSpec SL79B which is 533 FSB. This appears to be the only 2.40B processor for this board.

Can anybody explain 2.40A vs. 2.40B please? I found reference to Loadline A/B, but no more data.

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin
                              I am hunting for sSpec SL79B which is 533 FSB. This appears to be the only 2.40B processor for this board.

Can anybody explain 2.40A vs. 2.40B please? I found reference to Loadline A/B, but no more data.
                              I use Intel's Processorfinder service, which is a quite good source except for ES or special, minor production not listed (e.g. military versions).
                              The plain 2.40 is a Northwood, 400 MHz fsb; the 2.40B is a Northwood with a 533 MHz fsb (Intel adds a B to cpus having same core, same clock but superior fsb: do you remember the Coppermine Es and their 133 MHz counterparts, the EBs?); the 2.40B is a Prescott, 533 MHz fsb, 1 MB of L2 cache vs 512 KB of Northwoods and manifactured at 90 nm vs 130 (Pentium 4 page).

Zandrax
                              Last edited by zandrax; 02-10-2008, 02:36 PM.
                              Have an happy life.

Comment

Yes that's it.

You actually used a 2.2GHz/400.

You said you were going to use a 2.4GHz/533 and then started giving numbers for the other one..
                                Threw us all a curve you did..
                                We didn't see that sharp left at the front side bus.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

2.40 is 512k Cache, 0.13 micron process, (Northwood)
                                  2.40A is 1M Cache, 90 nm process, (Prescott)
                                  2.40B is 512k Cache, 0.13 micron process, Low power, (Northwood)

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

Or rather low volts..

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

Originally posted by zandrax
                                      the 2.40B is a Prescott
                                      I'll correct myself: the Prescot is the 2.40A, as PCBONEZ correctly wrote. Why I can't avoid typos ...

Zandrax
                                      Have an happy life.

Comment

Working...
                                      X