Li-Ion revival? What happened here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Li-Ion revival? What happened here?

I have a 3.7v Li-Ion battery that I bought for my Sony MZ-R30 almost a year ago. It is of course an aftermarket battery, but it has twice the capacity of the original Sony battery. Figured for $17, and the great reputation of the seller, I would take the chance.

Anyway, I hadn't used the minidisc unit in months, so when the battery started to get low, it turned off. No suprise there. However, I found that when I plugged the adaptor into the unit, the battery would not start charging. Took the battery out and put it back in, the LCD wouldn't even flicker. Took a multimeter to it and it showed 0 volts. Changed the multimeter to ohms, the resistance was REALLY high....up in the k's. The unit couldn't possible drain the battery to 0 volts!

I decided I had nothing to lose and took a 3.6v 14500 battery and ran the terminals to the battery for about 2-3 seconds. Now the li-ion battery is showing 3.2 volts! Popped the battery back into the unit and it's charging perfectly now.

I've only charged this battery twice since I bought it.

What the heck happened here?

Re: Li-Ion revival? What happened here?

i dunno but thats pretty cool, as we speak i have a li ion in the freezer praying it will come back when it un thaws however i think that trick works best with ni cad and nimh batteries.
    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by 4tified View Post
      I have a 3.7v Li-Ion battery that I bought for my Sony MZ-R30 almost a year ago. It is of course an aftermarket battery, but it has twice the capacity of the original Sony battery. Figured for $17, and the great reputation of the seller, I would take the chance.

Anyway, I hadn't used the minidisc unit in months, so when the battery started to get low, it turned off. No suprise there. However, I found that when I plugged the adaptor into the unit, the battery would not start charging. Took the battery out and put it back in, the LCD wouldn't even flicker. Took a multimeter to it and it showed 0 volts. Changed the multimeter to ohms, the resistance was REALLY high....up in the k's. The unit couldn't possible drain the battery to 0 volts!

I decided I had nothing to lose and took a 3.6v 14500 battery and ran the terminals to the battery for about 2-3 seconds. Now the li-ion battery is showing 3.2 volts! Popped the battery back into the unit and it's charging perfectly now.

I've only charged this battery twice since I bought it.

What the heck happened here?
      You tried putting the dead battery to charge and wait several hours?

Sometimes it takes some time until anything is shown on the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
        You tried putting the dead battery to charge and wait several hours?

Sometimes it takes some time until anything is shown on the screen.
        I waited about 2 hours, but the way the circutry is designed, batteries with 0 charge won't be charged as a safety measure.

Comment

you probably reset the protection circuit (it needs a charging current).
          no idea why it tripped. either something accidentally shorted the pack, or it did it by itself (the cheap ones sometimes do that).
          "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by 4tified View Post
            I waited about 2 hours, but the way the circutry is designed, batteries with 0 charge won't be charged as a safety measure.
            true. Same happens with many ups. They would never start charging if you put to them a battery with too low volts.

Comment

You know, you guys have a point. I've taken one of these batteries apart before and it had a chip in it. Probably like the chip inside laptop Li-ion batteries.

Either way, the battery is working fine now, I was just curious.

Comment

Lithium ions cant explode nastily. Btw would the same concept work with laptop batts? And whuch politary do you attach the voltage to he battery pack

Comment

With a dedicated individual cell Li-ion charger, I charge each cell (disconnected from the battery pack) individually.
                  Also, some batteries (especially laptop batteries) have an electronic fuel gauge which needs to be calibrated, otherwise, a fully charged battery pack can not operate because the electronic fuel gauge has 'empty' in its memory.
                  My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Read: 1:25

Of course we know that with Li technology, a battery charging management system MUST be incorporated into the battery itself. If the Batt falls below a certain voltage (this amount varies among compounds used with Lithium), the management system will open the Vo feed exiting to preserve the remaining voltage in order that it might still then be capable to ramp upward again if voltage is applied. If an insufficient amount of power is applied to the battery at first when it is in this state, the management nor the battery will "see" the power. A Lithium charger is more likely to not supply a sufficient amount to "wake up" the management system of a cell that has been in its dormancy stage for an extended period. This is why a blind enrichment is warranted to enable the management system again. By forcing electrons into the batteries endpoint, the management system is activated enough to determine that the battery is very low but it is no longer dormant. Always blind feed a battery that reads nearly nothing. By doing this to a lithium, it will enable it to go through its process of charge. At that time when the process has completed, you can then determine the % of capacity the cell has left by its downward ramp time (discharge). Lithium cells are quite different. They must remain within a certain voltage range if they are to continue providing service. they are very powerful in their characteristics physically but if they are drained too far they will never recover to perform a worthy enough electron exchange process to be within their stated capacity. They are a little complicated but they are predicable though; which of course is more than we can say for a lead acid wet cell, the most unpredictable batteries of all.

Comment

bought a "broken" yaesu vx-7r ht cheap on ebay to fix up.
                      turns out that both battery packs had been discharged to cutoff by the barometer option in the rig.they would not take a charge.put them on my maha 777+2 a few minutes to reset the protection board and they are ok.
                      normally the rig would only power up long enough to display voltage and shut down if the battery was low.
                      but that fancy barometer option will run it to low voltage cutoff.

Comment

Working...
                      X