Bug/Issue Reports and Solutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bug/Issue Reports and Solutions

Here is a place to store the latest issues you are dealing with and their solutions. Everybody contribute (just brief stuff is ok)
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Re: Bug/Issue Reports and Solutions

McAfee enterprise 8 - (win2k) System log in event viewer shows instances of "A driver packet received from the i/o system was invalid". I researched this and found it was noted to be due to mcafee. No solution yet, look for other vendor.

Symantec Corporate 10 - (win2k) system takes a long time to shut down, waiting at "saving your settings". event viewer shows "windows cannot unload your registry file. Appears to be due to symantec 10. avoid.

Comment

LOL Will, for buggy software, we need a dedicated forum for that........... I could go on and on!
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Norton Systemworks/Internet Security/Antivirus in its current state reminds me of the good old Nuts & Bolts days. You would fixup a customers computer, have it running excellent, they pick it up, stop by walmart and buy Nuts & Bolts, install it and screw up the computer in less than 12 hours.

Comment

yes it is very disappointing. even more so to see mcafee to have big probs also. i was reading one thread where a sysadmin was trying to deal with this issue on their servers and workstations. they had reinstalled the servers several times. poor guys. yep they had installed symantec 10. (but with 2003, 2004, 9 we are ok, why to screw up now)

anyway i say to keep this thread, i will dump some stuff from time to time here and hope it gets googled and helps some poor admin somewhere. Please take time to contribute and save our evenings and weekends sweating in the server room
          Last edited by willawake; 08-20-2005, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Issue but No Solution (Yet)

I've seen several references to MemTest86 in the forum posts. I had never tried this after recapping my Abit BE6-II, so I searched (Yahoo) the Internet for it, and found both MemTest86 and MemTest86+. Downloaded 86+, ran it on the BE6-II (Pentium III, 700 MHz, not overclocked), and promptly got a General Protection Fault (same place, four times in a row, machine powered off each time in between). Just for grins, ran it on the new Dell (Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz, not overclocked), and also got a GPF, but in a different place! So then I downloaded MemTest86 (not +) and ran it with no problems on either machine. Both MemTest86 and 86+ run just fine on the Compaqs at work. How do you distinguish between bad components and bad software?

Comment

Umm? I have no clue what you downloaded, but no version of memtest86(+ or not) that I'm aware of is meant to be used within windows.

--Randy

Comment

Originally posted by bushytails
                Umm? I have no clue what you downloaded, but no version of memtest86(+ or not) that I'm aware of is meant to be used within windows.

--Randy
                MemTest86 3.2 Release from www.memtest86.com
                MemTest86+ V1.60 from www.memtest.org

Neither one was used from within Windows. I downloaded the appropriate version for a floppy disk, made the floppy, and "booted" the computer with that. Windows doesn't even recognize the floppy as being formatted (on any of the machines), so they do something strange there.

Comment

That's weird... haven't had any experience w/86+ so I couldn't help you there. Memtest86 3.2 from memtest86.com works fine for me. I also dunno how a gpf cna happen outside of Windows.

No CPUID program whether it was crystalcpuid, cbid, cpu-z, or wcpuid could install on my old win98 Duron sys. Why? doesn't make any sense to me....
                  The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

was struggling this morning to get the Sony Vaio PCGA-CD51 pcmcia attached cd rom drive to work on a Sony Vaio PCG-C1XD to install win98. Forgot to copy the win98 directory to the HDD second partition before format...

anyway here is the solution. not much info about it on the net.

autoexec.bat should look like this

a:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:cdrom

config.sys should look like this

DEVICE=a:\HIMEM.SYS
                    DEVICE=a:\VA16365.SYS
                    DEVICE=a:\VA16CD.SYS /D:cdrom

you need the files VA16365.SYS and VA16CD.SYS from Sony.
                    http://www.vaio-link.com/common/accd...sp?ID=275&L=uk
                    it is the "Boot Disk to use for PCGA-CD5x models"
                    direct link on ftp
                    ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/vaio/Opt...m_bootdisk.exe

provides the files VA16365.SYS VA16CD.SYS VA16CLI.SYS it is not a boot disk really, just some stuff to make your own boot disk.

here is also the readme from the "Boot Disk" but its not necessary to use this below part, just the stuff above. Hope this helps someone, i was suprised when it didnt boot from the cd automatically. also Sony has a few non working solutions on their site. enjoy.
                    --------------------------------------------------------

VA16CLI.SYS Card Service Client driver
                    VA16365.SYS Intel82365 Compatible Socket Point enabler
                    VA16CD.SYS CD-ROM Device driver

[Usage]

Copy these files and edit CONFIG.SYS to include following
                    lines;

DEVICE=<Card service manager>
                    DEVICE=<Path>\VA16CLI.SYS
                    DEVICE=<Path>\VA16CD.SYS /D:<DEVICE NAME>

or

DEVICE=<Path>\VA16365.SYS
                    DEVICE=<Path>\VA16CD.SYS /D:<DEVICE NAME>
                    (no Card service manager required)

[Options for VA16CLI.SYS]

/PORT=###
                    180, 190, 1A0
                    Default: 180

/INT=#
                    3, 5, 6, A, B, E, F
                    Default: Unassigned

/MMIO
                    Memory map transfer mode
                    /PIO32
                    32bit PIO mode
                    /PIO16
                    16bit PIO mode

Default: 32bit PIO mode

/NS
                    Standardize PCIC controller transfer speed
                    Default: High speed

/PCICADR=####
                    PCIC controller port address (4 digit)
                    Default: 03E0(3E0H)

[Options for VA16365.SYS]

/PORT=###
                    180, 190, 1A0
                    Default: 180

/INT=#
                    3, 5, 6, A, B, E, F
                    Default: Unassigned

/MMIO
                    Memory map transfer mode
                    /PIO32
                    32bit PIO mode
                    /PIO16
                    16bit PIO mode

Default: 32bit PIO mode

/NS
                    Standardize PCIC controller transfer speed
                    Default: High speed

/MEM=####
                    Memory segment address (4 digit)
                    Default: CE00(CE000H)

/I365RST
                    Compulsory reset of PCIC controller
                    Default: Do not reset
                    ----------------------------------------
                    Last edited by willawake; 02-15-2007, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Yes, Thank you, the mounting of an external cdrom is very helpful.
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by AK0R
                        MemTest86 3.2 Release from www.memtest86.com
                        MemTest86+ V1.60 from www.memtest.org

Neither one was used from within Windows. I downloaded the appropriate version for a floppy disk, made the floppy, and "booted" the computer with that. Windows doesn't even recognize the floppy as being formatted (on any of the machines), so they do something strange there.
                        Anyone interested in Memtest should download themselves a copy of the "Ultimate Boot CD", which includes several MemTest versions along with many other useful utilities for testing hardware.
                        http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
                        Along with WinPE, it's one of my favorites.

Comment

i have always relied on doc memory, it helped me out a few times finding bad sticks. also western digital diagnostics is a honest program also.

Comment

Years ago I stumbled onto the Steven Gibbs Research site where he was offering the Shields Up appelet for monitoring open or stealthed ports.
                            Ever since I found his AVG antivirus program it has kept me and mine safe.
                            No infections ever. I could never stand Peter Nortons smug face on that box, and also don't like the perfarmance hit of Mcafee.
                            I'm just sayin.
                            Jim

Comment

Sony vaio PCG-Z505R with a PCGA-51CD, but the same issue!

Hi,
                              I just read your thread about the trouble you had with your sony vaio.

I reciently purchased a PCG-Z505R, with the USB floppy drive and the pcga-cd51 pcmcia cd drive.

My problem sounds like what you encountered. The HD is formatted, but has no OS.

I have never done anything like you described,
                              could you please walk me through the proceedure?

I am guessing that I should make a windows 98 start disk, add the downloaded files, and edit the bat file in notepad?

If you could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it, I have been online for about 8 hours just looking for this information, and just found this forum.

Cheers!

Erick
                              aka Dr. Pepper

P.S. I tried to send a pm, but it didn't show up in my out box. Im glad I joined the forum, looks like a great place!
                              Last edited by willawake; 02-15-2007, 05:00 AM. Reason: big quote

Comment

this was answered via pm

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                                  Symantec Corporate 10 - (win2k) system takes a long time to shut down, waiting at "saving your settings". event viewer shows "windows cannot unload your registry file. Appears to be due to symantec 10. avoid.
                                  This is a Win2000 bug. You can permanently fix it using Microsoft's UPHClean utility. I installed this on my Win2000 system, instant fix of the problem.

Comment

good one. i just got a newer version so i will check if its still doing it or use your fix. but as far as it being a win2k problem and not a symantec one, i disagree.

ok it does not happen on 10.1.5
                                    Last edited by willawake; 02-15-2007, 09:36 AM.

Comment

My rule of thumb is never installing something from Norton or Symantec on a system runing any OS >Win98

Way to mutch very timeconsuming and totaly anoying and avoidable problems, as they don`t get it, that no one should dig that deep into a MS OS. It is insane to anchor a software that deep inside of Windows OS, that any small update from MS can make it a nighmare of a mess.
                                      Not to mention that absolut mess wich any of those progs leave in the registry.....absolutely not something i would tolerate at any system i would have to care fore.
                                      I assume the only reason why they are still in busines is their name from the good old day`s.

Comment

symantec corporate is generally ok, except for that problem above. i definitely dont recommend to install their internet security versions though. still i tried AVG once and then got the first virus infection i had for a long time.

what do you use?

Comment

Working...
                                        X