MS-7548 Failed TK Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MS-7548 Failed TK Caps

Hey guys. I know this thread has derailed a bit but I'm in need. I have this mobo as well and just starting having stability issues. Sure enough several puffy caps with one that looks like the top started to split. My question is do I replace all the brown caps with the ones linked in the first page or do I need a range of sizes and such? I'm on a zero dollar budget so as few parts as possible would be good but for long life I will replace all the cheap ones. Are there photos of all the ones to be replaced (like a single overhead shot) or are the several in the op covering all the ones that should be replaced? Also I have done a similar job before but it was rather crude. Do I need a desoldering gun or can I get away with simply heat and pull? Thanks for all the info.

Comment

Just revisited this thread and I have a list of all caps I'll be poly modding. All TK caps will be tossed but I need to know a suitable replacement. I need 15X @ 1800uf and 7X @ 1000uf. All at 6.3 volts. As these are vcore what is the equal poly versions? Just match the size and volts? That is my current goal. I hope someone can tell me if that plan will work ok. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyr0Beast View Post
        Socket AM2. Working voltage should be under 1.5V
        AM2+, according to specs...

Originally posted by mazade View Post
        So I looked a little more into the CRAPS surrounding the cpu and found that there's two groups, as seen in the picture.
        I suppose I can assume the group of greater quantity is the VCore voltages that I can/should Poly.
        What are the 3 stragglers(only two of those spots had caps in them), and what should I put in there??
        http://www.iqmetals.com/else/bcnet/ms7548-places.jpg
        Thank you all very much for the contributions.
        one is for the vCore, the other is vUncore...

With Phenom CPUs AMD split the voltages of the CPU cores and the rest of the CPU. That's why you have two voltage areas...

AS for the TK ATWB used in the CPU VRM of this board, they are ultra low impedance types - similar to NCC KZG and also just 2000h lifetime.
        BUT: There is no 1800uF Type in the spec sheet oO
        Just 1500uF and 2200uF.
        Those 1500µ/6,3V ones are 8x20mm, ESR of 0.015 Ohms, 2100µA Ripple.

So proper replacement caps should be polys!
        Last edited by Stefan Payne; 01-05-2016, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xgsound View Post
          Update: Parts received, installed, and the repair is a success. I only ordered the parts on Sunday night!
          Original symptom was fans only and no post. Now it works like new. For an HP this is well equipped. It is a Phenom II X4, 650Watt PSU, 8Gb mem, and a Geforce 9800GT. The brother in law thanks you and so do I.
          Just one cap for the 'Uncore' area worrys me.
          I think you should also fit capacitors in the other empty spaces as well.

Comment

You know,most of the times you get lucky to find TKs bulged - sometimes they fail without bulging.

I just had this happen now with a Biostar K8M800-M7A. Would stay on if RESET pins shorted o_O,would not turn on with PW_ON pins. I saw most caps were green (and bizzarely with little to no usage) G-Luxons,with the main VRM low/high caps being TK,and they looked fine (no bulge). Replaced the 1800uF 16v TKs with 1200uF 16v KZEs,and the 4 3300uF 6.3v with 2 KZGs (recently pulled from a dead Gigabyte KT600 motherboard - much to my surprise,they were brand new,and still working) and 2 Rubycon MBZ from a dead Xbox v1.4 motherboard.

Plugged everything up,and it POSTed with the new caps. CPU is a Sempron 2800+ S754 (hence the M7A in the board name) and RAMS are 1x256 and 1x128 I found in my pile of old ram.
            Last edited by Dan81; 01-10-2016, 05:02 AM.
            Main rig:
            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
            Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
            16GB DDR3-1600
            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
            FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
            120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
            Delux MG760 case

Comment

Well exciting yet worrying news. Just got my caps in and I guess I forgot to double check the can size. All my new poly caps are larger in diameter than the ones I'm replacing. Now it's going to be tight but I think I can leave enough wiggle room to make them work. Did anyone else have a similar issue? I can't wait to get my desktop running again as it's my main editing rig for my youtube channel. Let me know what you guys have dealt with. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectEd View Post
                Well exciting yet worrying news. Just got my caps in and I guess I forgot to double check the can size. All my new poly caps are larger in diameter than the ones I'm replacing. Now it's going to be tight but I think I can leave enough wiggle room to make them work. Did anyone else have a similar issue? I can't wait to get my desktop running again as it's my main editing rig for my youtube channel. Let me know what you guys have dealt with. Thanks.
                You can go ahead. Just for giggles I once fitted 16v 1500uf KYs (which were bigger than the old caps) on a motherboard. It worked,and the MB POST'd.
                Main rig:
                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                16GB DDR3-1600
                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                X