Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weird 29" LG Flatron Problem

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
    that is cracked or lost its insulation .. new fly-back will likely be expensive if you can even find one .. i used to scrap sets with bad fly-back transformers as they simply wasn't worth spending that sort of money on .
    you may get lucky and find a new one cheap enough .
    hmm very interesting
    I found some on ebay, they are not so cheap when you compare its prices to what I have paid to the whole tv set

however, can you help me know which FBT model I should look after?

do you think if I replaced the FBT it will work? perhaps another failed component lead to the FBT failure?

is that a common failure, I have seen many tv's that lasted way more working hours than this one!

Comment

looks like insulation breakdown or a crack like i said .. any other things are unknown .. maybe you could try insulating it somehow just to test if it is just that .. not much to lose at this stage . i might try a few coats of ignition sealer spray after cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol

Comment

I think you are very right
        even before reading your last reply
        I read few articles online and rechecked the FBT
        I found a very tiny hole

the uploaded pic is still the same one but a larger crop from the original

after cleaning the are it is more visible, and the arcing is coming straight out of it
        I am so happy now because it make sense, I cleaned and used a high quality silicon sealant (thick coat over that are)

now I am waiting for tomorrow for it to cure, lets cross our fingers

thank you so much, will tell the news
        Attached Files

Comment

if it works it is just to test everything else . it wont be permanent even if it works at all

Comment

yes I heard about that too

would an epoxy be better? or do you mean if a FBT start to crack it means that it is internally loosing its insulation and sealing a cracked area will lead to a crack elsewhere?

Comment

couldnot wait for more than 12h
              but wooooooooooow the tv worked again!!!!

thanks for everyone

Comment

maybe get the correct epoxy . or thermal adhesive might work .
                might last longer than silicone .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                  maybe get the correct epoxy . or thermal adhesive might work .
                  might last longer than silicone .
                  Thanks bro

I would like to get the replacement
                  can you please check if there is a compatible replacement for it on ebay?
                  I cant even find the part # for it

Comment

i have no idea what the part number is . maybe you can search for it by using set id . or board id .?

Comment

there should be a label on the flyback, but might be on the oposite side, between the flyback and the metal shield

This is for the MC-049A chassis
                      https://www.chatchaielec.com/shop/la...c25-n1537.html

I have repaired similar problems using silicone and sometimes epoxy and it worked fine.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by R_J; 08-14-2018, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much RJ
                        I have already seen this exact part # listed but in a very similar TV model # but not the exact one I have (yes perhaps the label is on the other hidden side)
                        so I am not sure if I should buy it or not, perhaps you can tell me

about this fix how long you think it might last?, the hole is very close to 0.4~0.5mm only

one more question please:
                        the only thing I notice after this fix and replacing the main capacitor is that I need to boost the brightness to 80% instead of 45~50% to get the same brightness (contrast is the same, great)
                        what do you think about that?

thanks again

Comment

Advance the A1 control slightly on the lopt-the bottom screw.top one for focus.

Comment

not with your fingers,i hasten to say!,use a small insulated screwdriver with the set turned on.

Comment

about this fix how long you think it might last?, the hole is very close to 0.4~0.5mm only
                              The repair should last 11673.5 days. The plastic insulation broke down and the high voltage started to arc to the nearest ground. If the insulation is repaired (silicone) and it is working it should be ok. You can adjust the master screen on the flyback up a bit, if you go too far you will have retrace lines in the picture and poor black level, see if there is a master or sub brightness control on the board and adjust that if it is there.
                              This flyback could be different than the one I posted, the label is likely covered with dust and hard to see, try cleaning the dust from that area on the flyback and see if you can read the number otherwise you would need to remove the flyback to access the number.
                              Last edited by R_J; 08-15-2018, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much for your replies
                                this time I am using a very accurate power meter between the mains and the TV set

the TV is rated at 135W but the most I could read (full wight screen) is about 115W at most
                                does that mean anything at all?
                                the picture/colors and the contrast of this set is still even better than my dad brand new 43" led tv and thats why I still prefer this old crt's

when the set does not meet its rated wattage by that difference does that tell anything about its internal component?

Comment

Working...
                                X