Re-capped 13 year old HP Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-capped 13 year old HP Monitor

Got a tight-wad buddy (owns 4 bars, 3 rental properties) brought me 2 ancient monitors, a 13 year old HP, and an 18 year old Dell to fix, lolz I asked him, "wazzup with these?, U have that deep a relationship with these that ya can't let 'em go??"
    ...and realize this guy drives a beat-up 1985 ford truck as well.....lmao

The Dell (E173Pf) lost it's backlights (happened to have one here, quick screen swap out, problem solved), but the HP (a vs19d) wouldn't even light up the power button. Soon as I had it apart, I saw the culprits....6 Capxon's with the typical BTS (bulging top syndrome), three 10v 1000uf + three 25v 680uf. replaced those w/ close enough values (didn't have exact), and it too is now back in action.... Matt, ya tight bastiche..lol

Last edited by Shock2cure; 07-26-2018, 08:17 PM.
    "Our technologies have surpassed our humanity" ~Einstein

Re: Re-capped 13 year old HP Monitor

jeez. monitors don't cost much now a days. How much did you charge?
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
      jeez. monitors don't cost much now a days. How much did you charge?
      Absolutely nothing.... 1st off, He's a close friend...

...& 2nd of all
      He's now building another bar near this University... he's going to need someone to install/wire up the 15 monitors, multiple sound systems, camera/security system, and the LAN connected, multiple cash register system
      and Internet
      "Our technologies have surpassed our humanity" ~Einstein

Comment

I think you can change your "Hobbyist Tech" to "Professional Tech" now.
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

As long as your friend provides the beer, it's worth it!

I do this kind of stuff for family and close friends all the time too (hence the "hobbyist tech" tittle as well). Sometimes, they give me cool stuff back in return, so I can't complain. And less trash for our landfills too. Money isn't everything.

Cheers!
          Last edited by momaka; 08-03-2018, 07:59 AM.

Comment

It's worth it if they are 1600x1200, as decent 4:3 monitors are becoming harder to find. If they are 1280x1024 (5:4) or lower they are junk IMO. My 1280x1024 LG L1710M from 2004 recently died (bad caps, of course), and I really can't be bothered recapping it. I can't even eBay any working monitors since they cost a fortune to ship yet are barely worth $10.

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
              It's worth it if they are 1600x1200, as decent 4:3 monitors are becoming harder to find.
              Not "becoming" - 4:3 LCD monitors were always hard to find, especially 1600x1200.

That said, I don't mind 1280x1024 (5:4) that much, especially if it's a 19" monitor - you get pretty much the same vertical size as a much larger 22" widescreen (and similar resolution too, as there isn't that much difference between 1024, 1050, and 1080 pixels). I personally hate wide screens (both 16:10 and 16:9, though 16:10 is a bit more tolerable) for reading text. They are nice for watching YouTube, though.... provided you're not watching those shitty Vine videos, most of which are shot with a phone in vertical format.

I'm still happy with my 17-21" CRTs, though.
              All of them are now over 15 years old and some over 20. Yet, most still work great. In 5-10 more years, they might just be due for recapping. Maybe.
              Last edited by momaka; 08-11-2018, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X