Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Welcome to the Badcaps.net Tech Forum! > Announcements & Related News
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #19681
hgsattila

City & State: Baraolt
My Country: Romania
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

hello
hgsattila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:32 PM   #19682
digpig

City & State: Paris area
My Country: France

Hi friends The story why:

Seaman: "- Capt'ain, we're fine on your linux boat, but the crew needs some entertainment at times. They drink, they sleep, too much: we need games cap'tain."

Capitain: "- My good fellow, I could ask a virtual machine to the king: what about installing a Windows in there and plenty of games?"

Seaman: "- That's a reasonable idea Cap'tain, but you know how slow it will be. Virtualized graphics processor units are so slow. I found a map describing how to reach the GPU-passthrough gates. If we reach there, the gaming experience promises to be great. 95% of the native performance"

Capitain: "- Fun is not about computing power and nice graphics young boy, it's about gameplay. That virtual GPU can kick your ass with the hardest old NES games. Forget about messing with the engines."

Seaman: "- I'm not a philosopher Cap'tain, let's go back to the VM topic please. The barmaid is a trendy kind of woman, how could I impress her with Mario Bros 3 or Ninja Turtles? I couldn't. We need to boot Fortnite and we'll never achieve this with a virtual GPU!"

Capitain: "- Ok boy, promises for a lady wins it all. We'll do that. But be prepared: our boat is a solid linux but is not the master of oceans. Currently, we're in the HpZbook15MobileWorkstation creek. It's not an easy one. Did you ever heard of its Optimus technology? Are you knowledged about discrete GPUs?"

Seaman: "- What do you mean Cap'tain?"

Capitain: "- I mean we'll need KVM virtualization. That one needs to be parameterized with a dump of the GPU BIOS."

Seaman: "- Haha, it's newbie stuff Cap'tain. How weak is that. We have them all in our TechPowerup chest."

Capitain: "- You don't know Optimus yet, it's an ocean of pain: the system BIOS and the VGA BIOS are mixed into a single BIOS file. They work together to switch between low and high graphics power. KVM is not prepared to this. We'll need to find a way to extract the VGA bios out of that jungle.."

Seaman: "- Oh no, it can't be. How.. How.. I'm terrified Cap'tain."

Capitain: "- Don't be, my good fellow. You see this point on the map?: it's Badcaps Island. Old friends of mine live there, and they know how to unveil a manufacturer BIOS secrets. Let's head there. Full engines, poweeeer UP!"

Seaman: "- Will they help for free? I'm now experienced with Java and web development. But I know nothing about embedded devices, low level programming or soldering Cap'tain.."

Capitain: "- (the kid needs to be confident..) Full engines, poweeeer UP!""

* The journey begins *
digpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:17 AM   #19683
Kuchiru

City & State: NLD
My Country: Netherlands

Hi,

Just getting started with board repair, very new at this so please bear with me.
Appreciate the access to the vast amount of resources this forum has to offer!
Kuchiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM   #19684
fullping

City & State: paris
My Country: france

Hi all from basque country, after many year's without repairing computer, i have a new impulsive motivation.... my first windows appear's on an amiga 500, whis an Macos emulator, on 1985 or 1986, my first computer is a 186 or 286, first overclocking on a 386 d40, thunderbird, and so on.....
So sorry for my bad english..
fullping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM   #19685
Hozer

City & State: Kzn
My Country: South Africa
Line Voltage: 220vac 50hz

Howzit everyone.

Hozer here from South Africa.

Been a nerd for a long time and decided it's time to stop releasing magic smoke and actually fix something for a change.

I'm 25, and working for a large printing company. Repairing and servicing industrial and office printers. Been in this job for 4 years and I've seen alot of pcbs wasted for mall caps blown or something stupid. I d like to start using the junk and make stuff. Hopefully I could learn some stuff off this site.

PS. Just found the site, never knew it existed but looks awesome.
Hozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM   #19686
tvprobs

City & State: Columbus
My Country: United States

Hello All Past, Present, and Future,

New to the tech fixing game. Former Electrical Engineering Student from THE Ohio State University. Hated the job, but loved the hobby. Anyway, I've got a good background for the how of components when they go right, but lack the knowledge of putting it all together to do the fixing when it all goes wrong.

Decided to take a swing at things when a slew of TV issues came my way of these last few months. Just need some guidance along the way.
tvprobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM   #19687
BlueGoldEra

City & State: Berkeley Vale, NSW
My Country: Australia

Hi, I'm a Electronics Tech however now in middle management and don't really play in the hands on space these days. Interested in home repairs of my mates equipment as well as mine when needed. Impressed with what I have read so far in these forums.
Jason
BlueGoldEra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM   #19688
Leroy_2000

City & State: Vancouver, WA
My Country: USA

Hello everyone. I'm a software developer hoping to repair my Infinity PS-12 subwoofer.
Leroy_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:03 AM   #19689
BIGOLDORK

City & State: ORANGE CA.
My Country: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoff View Post
I guess I'll throw my hat into the ring now.

I go back a way with Topcat, while he was still in the electronics biz, when a 200 mhz processor was a sight to behold. I've been using computers since the late 80's (first machine was an 8 mhz 286 with a 20 meg hardcard) and am mostly a networking guy with a helping of programming and a side of hardware.

Most of my involvement around here is behind-the-scene stuff, mostly setting up different services, and as always, needling topcat for still running windows.

Anything else you want to know, feel free to ask.
I have no clue what im doing or even how all this works but i need help !
BIGOLDORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:30 AM   #19690
Luiz Marcelo

City & State: Rio de Janeiro
My Country: Brazil

Hi.
Only in this forum i found how to do an autogen in the LG Plasma TV 60PX950!!!
Thanks a lot.https://www.badcaps.net/forum/images...bananabang.gif
Luiz Marcelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:51 PM   #19691
IBCNU

City & State: Ashville
My Country: United States

Hello all! Just a introduction, I'm 65 retired master auto tech. first computer was a Franklin Apple 2 clone them did bulletin board on a Commodore 64 I have always had a system. I keep saying this is the last one will see. Also retired Rock N Roll Drummer, lost the rotator cuff in my rt. armI don't remember how I got here maybe something to do with a SMPS. What got me started? 3 months ago I was watching a video on EEVBlog of Dave explaining OP-AMPS I was hooked!. I bought a bunch of test equipment and bins full of electrical parts so far I have repaired 6 flat panel TVs and a touch to turn on Lamp. There is so much to learn my memory isn't what it was and the math is killing me. But the sky's the limit. Looking forward to LEARNING EVERYTHING.
O-ya. I Lived in Redondo Beach for the first 20 years of my life, Moved to Las Vegas NV. for 15yrs, moved to Alaska (all over) for 14,15 years moved to Oregon coast, Lincoln City/ Neskowin, moved to Asheville NC. in 2005 I'm still here. You all have a good evening! That is all.

IBCNU !
IBCNU is offline   Reply With Quote