X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS4 Playstation 4 Repair Re-ball Reflow Blue Light No video Video Issues

Just wanna share this video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQZEfLO36nY

Please comment on this thread if you have any video issues with the PS4. Wondering if they'll be suffering the same fate as previous consoles.

Regards,

Re: PS4 Playstation 4 Repair Re-ball Reflow Blue Light No video Video Issues

i heard of a number of them failing, the xbox1 failing a lot too.

probably the usual thing, too much power and not enough cooling because marketing wanted it to be quiet.

Comment

Damn, cheap ass consoles these days! I could drop an n64 off a building and it would still work like new!

I have 8 PS3 units all need a reflow, figure with the cost of these new gen systems the quality would be better.

Comment

Nature of the beast. Too much processing power and small architecture wreaks havoc on active cooling. My Sony VAIO laptop gets so hot if placed on a couch or bed that I can smell the plastics outgassing.
        Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Wonder if there will be any recalls like the xbox 360 was extended to 3 years

Comment

Oh dear, I had hoped the PS4/Xbox One would get the design right first time. Hopefully, the failures are less frequent.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

A few years ago, Sony France has extended "Fat" PS3's warranty from 12 months to 18 months on individual consumer request, for Blu-Ray diode failure and for BSOD - which was in fact RLOD (Red Led Of Death) on PS3.

They did not assume these global issue with a massive recall.

BTW, I have a stock of these ones (40GB and 60GB) that did not last very long after a reflow.
              They need reballing, but my hot air station is not powerful enough to do that, as these BGAs are quite large !

I thought PS4 wouldn't suffer the same overheating problems... unfortunately, it seems that they do.

Comment

on the reflows, did you remove the metal caps from the cpu & gpu and replace the paste under them?
                because you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  on the reflows, did you remove the metal caps from the cpu & gpu and replace the paste under them?
                  because you need to.
                  Yep, other than that the PS3 will go for a few minutes, then the fan will speed up like crazy, then the PS3 shuts down with a red blinking light and you have to power cycle it.

Comment

fanspeed madness is the soldering on the cpu usually, not the gpu.

that's why you need to ed-cap it and re-paste it.

Comment

when you do one, why not the other?

Comment

i do both, but a lot of cheap bastards just do the gpu.
                        maybe because they think it's like the 360.

Comment

And one thing to remember is that this time the processor and graphics are included in one chip. Which if it gets damaged when reflowing, the console will most likely have to be scraped since you cant just put in a replacement without having to change several other chips and programming etc.

Comment

it should be under warranty still afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              fanspeed madness is the soldering on the cpu usually, not the gpu.

that's why you need to ed-cap it and re-paste it.
                              What do you mean by ed cap it.?

Have one of these, red blinking light - tried reflow but no joy!!

Comment

Working...
                              X