Antec TPII-480 replacement caps ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antec TPII-480 replacement caps ?

These beauties came from an Antec Truepower 2.0 480W powering a GA-M55plus-S3G with bad caps in its VRM

What to use for replacements ?

From various posts, it seems:
    1. Those Fuhjyyu TM are low ESR
    2. I could safely substitute 3300uf 6.3v

Am I correct ?

I'm tempted to try some Nichicon HM recycled from deceased motherboards
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Re: Antec TPII-480 replacement caps ?

Double post.
    Last edited by tazwegion; 05-24-2014, 10:24 PM.
    Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Used capacitors are an unknown quantity in that they may be fine or die next week best to use new components in a mission critical system unless you're okay with replacing them in an ongoing fashion.

I understand you having difficulty sourcing suitable components at reasonable prices being in Australia myself but have had good experiences with the Hitano EXR series (low ESR) capacitors from Wiltronics in Ballarat Victoria and will buy Internationally when I must just not China/Hong Kong suppliers on eBay.

Thankfully I had enough SamXon capacitors on hand from previous purchases to re-kit my TP480w PSU's.

BTW keep in mind you can substitute larger values without a problem but you can't use lower spec'd components and expect no negative consequences.
      Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Yeah, 3300uF 6.3V would be good. I'm pretty sure they used such high capacitance just to get the lower ESR. Fuhjyyu are trash though. What are the brand and series of the 3300uF 6.3V caps that you have in mind?

Comment

Originally posted by tazwegion View Post
          keep in mind you can substitute larger values without a problem
          I should have said in the first place that original Fuhyjju's dimensions are 10 (Diameter) x 35 (Height)

And their placement was pretty squeezy

Given larger values have larger dimensions, subbing larger isn't an option

Originally posted by tazwegion View Post
          Used capacitors are an unknown quantity in that they may be fine or die next week
          I'd be using Japanese ones tested on my ESR meter - yet to have a problem with equivalents used for other purposes

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
          What are the brand and series of the 3300uF 6.3V caps that you have in mind?
          Nichicon HM (in suspect date ranges) or Chemicon KZG - I know, I know, but hate adding good money to consumer grade crap that's built to a price not a recipe

I thought I had some new Sanyo WGs, but of course cannot find them - if they turn up, would be the ones used
          better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

panasonic does 3300uf 6.3v 10mm FK series
            and 2700uf 10v 10mm FK series
            and 2700uf 6.3v 10mm FR series
            and the esr etc are probably far better than those 3300uf fuckyou's

i just checked my datasheets.
            all 3 of those blow away the fuckyou 4700uf 6.3v caps in esr & ripple!!
            Last edited by stj; 05-25-2014, 02:04 AM.

Comment

^
              Yup. http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/alumin...itors/0571054/

or

http://au.element14.com/panasonic/ee...rad/dp/1744878

They are actually quite decent PSUs if you fully recap them.
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Rubycon ZLJ is also sold in 10mm:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...466-ND/3134422

According to c_hegge's article on polymodding, those CWT Antec units do not work properly with Ultra-Low ESR capacitors. He writes:
                After the results of the first test, I had high hopes for this unit, since the performance was very similar to how it was originally. However, my hopes were short-lived, because my test PC wouldn’t even boot with the poly-modded SP-400 installed. This unit is clearly not designed to work properly with these capacitors. Let’s see if our next contender can do better.
                ...a bit odd considering the ripple measurements looked good. But you shouldn't use Nichicon HM for this reason, with a 0.012 ESR rating.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

^
                  I've used MBZ in an SL-350 before and it was fine. I think it may have been the drop in capacitance that the SP-400 wasn't happy with. Not that I would advise using KZG or suspect HMs on it, though. You might as well recap it with more Fuhjyyus.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Ah, in that case good HM caps would be just fine on it... But I wonder what he means by "suspect" HM... Nothing is suspect about HM up until 2004, in the sense that they will certainly fail. After that, there's some debate as to when exactly they fixed the series.

Still, would be interesting to see how long they last in a PSU as opposed to a motherboard VRM.
                    Last edited by c_hegge; 05-26-2014, 06:05 PM. Reason: fixed formatting
                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

I would never use HM / HN/ HZ in power supplies. I think they are too low esr for that use. The lowest esr capacitor series I use for psus is Panasonic FR.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                        You might as well recap it with more Fuhjyyus.
                        LOL - when was the last time you found any Fuhjyyu worth reusing ?

Comment

I haven't, and neither have I found any KZG or suspect HM that were re-usable.

Comment

Anyway, it's going to get new Sanyo WG 3300uf 6.3v once I get my hands on them

Comment

Did you source those from China?

Comment

i'd be suspicious of sanyo.
                                they are very expensive and hard to find.

if they seem cheap - as in the same price as pana/ruby or if they are on taobao/ebay etc they are fake.

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
                                  Anyway, it's going to get new Sanyo WG 3300uf 6.3v once I get my hands on them
                                  I think those have too low ESR to work well for PSU use.
                                  Do you have a oscilloscope to check with after modding?
                                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

We already covered that Per . c_hegge measured ripple and it was slightly improved with Ultra-Low ESR caps (Even lower than what he is planning on using)...

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                      Did you source those from China?
                                      eBay - egekecu/PCMCS

And to preempt the inevitable, the final cost of those c_hegge referenced makes the difference between cap replacement and it meeting the garbage can

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                        I wonder what he means by "suspect" HM
                                        Anything dated before 2006

Comment

Working...
                                        X