Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help as I'm having possible bad cap issues with an Epox 8RDA3+ mobo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help as I'm having possible bad cap issues with an Epox 8RDA3+ mobo.

Ok... my first post here so go easy please.

I had an Epox 8RDA3+ mobo with an Athlon XP 2500+ in a computer that I've used just for basic net surfing, playing music, Excel, Word etc. It was never really a gaming PC so it's always been good enough which is why I've never really upgraded.

Anyway... late last year it started getting sudden restarts and BSOD's and random error messages (that I can remember).

I didn't know what the problem was so I did a bit of online research and figured it must have been the mobo or CPU or PSU. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on replacements because as I said this comp isn't used for anything intensive so I didn't want to get into an upgrade costing 100's of dollars.

Eventually the restarts got often enough that I looked around and bought another compatible mobo for my comp. I thought I "lucked out" because I found another Epox 8RDA3+ mobo with an Athlon XP 2500+ processor bundled together that someone was selling for the equivalent of about $20 USD. I wanted to keep the same mobo setup because I have 3 sticks of DDR400 Ram and a Sata HD and many of the more basic Socket A boards only have 2 dimm slots and don't support Sata.

Also I've had really good luck with this Epox board overclocking my Athlon 2500+ and have gotten it up to the 3200+ level and really haven't tried to push it even further although that's probably about as high as it would go. I've run that processor overclocked at that level for about 7 years and had no problems.

Anyway... I got the "new" Epox 8RDA3+ board and put it in late last year and it's worked fine until the last week or so and now the same flaky problems are beginning again. Random lock ups and then restarts. It can work fine for several hours and then have several restarts in a row in a half hour period. Really random but gradually increasing in frequency.

I also noticed my VDD frequency is not stable and when the computer reboots and I watch the VDD number with the Epox USDM software it's constantly fluctuating between ~1.35 to ~1.7. I think when it drops below 1.3 is when I'm getting the restarts.

I've ditched the overclocking and put the CPU back to stock speed just to see what happens and that seems to have no effect. I even slightly underclocked it and that also really made no difference that I can see.

I even reinstalled windows XP and that made a huge difference in the overall system speed but zippo difference in the restarts problem.

My idle CPU temp is 37 Celcius and with Prime 95 running my CPU usage to 100% my CPU temp gets to 44 Celcius.

I've also tested my PSU with a digital voltmeter while running prime 95.

While running Prime 95 my PSU rails tested at exactly 3.4 Volts for the 3.3 rail, 5.14-5.15 volts for the 5 volt rail and 12.18-12.20 for the 12 volt rail.

Now long winded story coming to an end...

I've enclosed a few pics of the current mobo which are the 1st 3 pictures.... there appears to be some swollen caps (but I don't really see any leakage yet) on the caps all around the video card and the dimm slots but the big caps around the CPU look ok to me. I'm no expert but I counted maybe 11 caps in total that "might" be swollen around the AGP slot and the dimm slots area.

The last pic is of my previous Epox board and the 6 caps next to the CPU are looking swollen but none of the other caps on the board look bad (to my untrained eye).

Basically I wanted to ask whether you all agree that it's likely bad caps that is causing the trouble on these 2 mobos or is there any other area that could be a problem? I've tried to do as much testing as possible to rule out everything else. I've done a few memory tests and the ram comes up fine as well. I actually have a new AGP graphics card (bought less than a year ago) which I upgraded because the fan on my old one went and it was having some graphical issues so I don't think the basically new graphics card is the problem either.

So any ideas? Is it simply bad caps again and I either invest in a soldering iron and recap these or look for yet another older basic mobo and CPU? (staying away from the Epox 8RDA3+ this time though.)

I actually might buy a $25 USD used Socket 754 mobo and an Athlon 64 3000+ CPU as an "upgrade" to take me one step out of the socket A dark ages.

Is there anything else to test or is it pretty certain to you all that's it's likely a capacitor issue?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Re: Need some help as I'm having possible bad cap issues with an Epox 8RDA3+ mobo.

Yes, all those caps are bad. They are bloated or swollen.

They will have high ESR (ohms) or not be within their uF specification. For example, a 2200uF cap may only measure 300uF.

Bad caps can cause instability, bsods, random lockups, etc.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Re: Need some help as I'm having possible bad cap issues with an Epox 8RDA3+ mobo.

the bloated ones next to your ram might be the main crashing issue, causing unstable voltage to your ram

replace them, replace them all. if you continue in this condition, it might kill your power regulators, or other parts (ram, or cpu)
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

In my experience, Epox were fond of using crappy GSC caps - perhaps that's why Epox is now defunct

Replace all caps branded GSC, and you have a good chance of having a reliable board

Other caps on the board are likely to be Sanyo, a good brand which is less likely to need replacement
        better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Thanks for the quick confirmation everyone. I was pretty much 95% sure that's what it must have been but I just wanted some experienced 2nd and 3rd opinions. Ok so I think I'll buy that cheap older replacement mobo/CPU and shut down this mobo for the time being. I don't really want to risk frying my ram or graphics card as they aren't high end but still cost money to replace.

I'll probably try to recap these two boards but I've never done this before so I'll do some shopping here locally for a soldering tool, solder sucker, solder etc. I need my computer now though so I've got to get that replacement mobo and then use these as backups after I (hopefully) fix them.

By the way the 6 caps that are swollen on the 1st Epox board by the CPU area are Teapo. From what I have now read on the net those are crappy quality.

I haven't looked very closely at the manufacturer markings of all the swollen ones in this current Epox board but I think they are GSC because they are green and gold.

Just checked one closely just now and yes it is GSC.

This is a great site... I'll be back if I run into any more problems in the future.

Comment

On your first mobo (fourth picture) there are TEAPO for CPU VCore, these caps are swollen on this board and causing the lockups. TEAPO is actually a decent brand when subjected to good cooling and put someplace where the ripple is not so severe, however next to a CPU is pretty much the worst place for them
            Above these are 3x VRM input caps for 12v, these looks to be Panasonic and will thus be fine...

As for your current board all TEAPO caps are swollen and bad, they all should be replaced...

This old thread by me might interest you, if you decide to go the solid polymer route I'd just do the CPU Vcore caps, rest is just overkill...
            There is a picture attached with all required caps and their values (except for the small caps which I didn't swap out, might be a good idea to do those aswell though)

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7689
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

EPoX boards are/were well known for crapcaps (mostly GSC).
              only the last couple boards before they went out of business had good ones (usually all rubycon)

these boards here still show some signs of life, so replacing ALL the crapcaps should bring it back no problem.
              from those pics, it looks like the only caps that could stay are the panasonics in the last pic (the 3 at the top with the T-vent)

for those boards it's important to also change all the tiny tiny caps (usually down to the 16V 100uF) scattered all over the board (esp. around the chipset), as they're also GSC and dry out, which could cause some really strange glitchy-ness.. (seen that before.. replacing them fixed it)

Comment

I have a similar board, thanks to this thread i bothered to look at it, swollen caps. Its my old rig just used for some acounting stuff theese days.

OT: I dont think Epox is totally dead, they just dont do consumer stuff anymore, only industrial. http://www.ipoxusa.com

Comment

Similar with Soyo.
                  They aren't gone, they just only sell in Asia now.
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

and it seems like they've learned their lesson..
                    Fujitsu/Nichicon polys in all the important spots..

edit: damn.. this socket 775 mini ITX board looks tasty
                    intel Q35 chipset, 2 RAM slots, full PCIe x16, watchdog timer, 8x USB 2.0, eSATA, 2x gigabit ethernet.. mhhh
                    Last edited by Scenic; 03-11-2011, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Please report back on how this goes. I have an 8RDA non-plus that suffered EPoX bad cap death. I'd love to get it going again... volt-mods and all =)

Scenic, thanks for the info. This is the one board I'll probably go through the expense for, always wanted to see what the Athlon XP Mobile would do on this board

Comment

am I the only one who notices what looks like a KGZ on the CPU vrm filter? the put all polys on it, but one kzg? no wonder epox is where it is, they NEVER learn
                        Attached Files
                        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

At this point the only brand I have never ever seen a KZG on is Supermicro.
                          ... And I certainly haven't seen all their models in person.

-
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                          -

Comment

I have known Supermicro to use KZG. The problem is that since Chemi-Con are japanese, no one realises that they are actually bad.
                            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

In what? - Was it really old?

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                The problem is that since Chemi-Con are japanese, no one realises that they are actually bad.
                                True.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Originally posted by nexttothemoon View Post
                                  I actually have a new AGP graphics card (bought less than a year ago) which I upgraded because the fan on my old one went and it was having some graphical issues so I don't think the basically new graphics card is the problem either.
                                  Depends on the card's power draw and the condition of your PSU which you didn't mention in your opening post, a poor PSU would easily be over-extending itself with a high end AGP card for example ATI's 3850 consumes around 98w under load...

So any ideas? Is it simply bad caps again and I either invest in a soldering iron and recap these or look for yet another older basic mobo and CPU? (staying away from the Epox 8RDA3+ this time though.)
                                  The Mainboard pictured definitely has bad capacitors, unfortunately the outlay to rectify this could be better used in pursuing an upgrade CPU/mainboard

I actually might buy a $25 USD used Socket 754 mobo and an Athlon 64 3000+ CPU as an "upgrade" to take me one step out of the socket A dark ages.

Is there anything else to test or is it pretty certain to you all that's it's likely a capacitor issue?

I'd highly recommend you check out your PSU voltage ranges with a Digital Multimeter (DMM) easy enough to loan and cheap enough to purchase a basic unit, other than that I reckon you could do better than a s754 system upgrade as people are jumping ship from Intel's s775 platform resulting in some tasty deals on used components
                                  Viva LA Retro!

Comment

I should clarify that I meant you should re-check the PSU voltages whilst running a GPU intensive application (to test the Vcard) in conjunction with your CPU loading
                                    Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                      I have known Supermicro to use KZG.
                                      I still want to know what board that was or at least what socket.
                                      I've been through quite an assortment of Supermicro socket 604, 771, and 775 boards and I've never seen any Chemicon Lytics let alone a KZG.
                                      Tyan on the other hand uses them all the time.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

It was the ones Topcat was selling. I'll see if I can find the thread.

EDIT, No, you're right the ones topcat had with KZG were Tyan, not supermicro. (not sure why I thought they were SM)
                                        Last edited by c_hegge; 05-11-2011, 12:59 AM.
                                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                        X