CapXon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CapXon

My Dell lcd monitor went dead on me out of nowhere. I thought the button broke but on further inspection I found that 3 of the capacitors on the power board were bulging. The middle capacitor had much more yellow junk on it but I brushed it off by accident. I want to replace the capacitors so I don't have to buy a new monitor. Can anyone tell me which capacitors I need to get? There are so many on the market.

The caps are rated:

1000 uF
    10 V
    Attached Files

Re: CapXon

Hi CapacitorUser

Welcome to the Forum!

You need to know the capacitor "series" as well as the voltage and rating.

The Series is a 2-letter code and for CapXon Power Supply caps might be: "GL", "KF", "KZ", "GF" or "LZ".

For example, a CapXon KF series is considered a "Low Impedance" capacitor suitable for use in Power Supplies.

Once you find the series, go to CapXon's website and look up the specific capacitor that you need.
    You're interested in:
    Mounting - Radial Leads
    Series
    Voltage
    Capacitance in microfarads (μf)
    Size, especially Diameter in mm
    Ripple Current in milliamps (ma)
    ESR or Impedance in ohms (Ω)

Next, you need to find a suitable replacement from a better manufacturer.
    Badcaps.net offers Rubycon and Samxon brands.
    Other well-regarded brands are: Nichicon, Panasonic, United/Nippon Chemi-con... along with others that you may notice mentioned in the forum.

My personal guess would be something like a Nichicon PW or a United Chemi-con (UCC) KY with about 1000ma Ripple Current and maybe .060Ω Impedance. You can usually be a little off on Capacitance, ESR or Ripple Current but never go low on the Voltage.

You can buy suitable capacitors right here at BadCaps.net, at eBay, Digi-Key or other electronics suppliers. Radio Shack only carries General Purpose capacitors not usually suited for use in a power supply.

Keep reading,
    Have fun!
    Keri
    Last edited by KeriJane; 08-16-2009, 04:15 PM.
    The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Originally posted by KeriJane
      Radio Shack only carries General Purpose capacitors not usually suited for use in a power supply.
      I'm not sure if it's the same in the USA, but in Canada at The Source (used to be known as RadioShack in Canada in the past) the capacitors in the capacitor value packs are from some "TREC" brand:

I've had no experience with this brand, but I'm guessing that it isn't a high quality capacitor manufacturer.

I'm guessing RadioShack radial aluminum electrolytic capacitors of 1000uf can be used if they fit, but at best they're a temporary repair until better low impedance capacitors are available to you.
      Last edited by Newbie2; 08-16-2009, 08:35 PM.
      My gaming PC:
      AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
      ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
      PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
      G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
      TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
      WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
      ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
      Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
      Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
      Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

I found the model number of the capacitors. Its CapXon P544 VENT. I could not find the specs on CapXon website.

However I was wondering if this capacitor that I found on digikey will work.

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...name=P10224-ND

Comment

That capacitor will work perfectly for your monitor.

If there are any other CapXon capacitors in your monitor with different values, you might also want to purchase replacement capacitors for those too to avoid a future problem with capacitors.
          My gaming PC:
          AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
          ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
          PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
          G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
          TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
          WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
          ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
          Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
          Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
          Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
          Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

looks to be exactly the same dell monitor that I repaired over in this thread. If I were you I'd replace the other 5 fatter caps while you're at it. If the little ones went, they won't be far off...
            In addition to the pieces of information mentioned by KeriJane, you'll need to know the lead spacing (distance between the leads, so that it will fit), and the height, so that you'll be able to put everything back together afterwards.
            If you'd like I can get you the exact part numbers from digikey for what you'll need. They fit perfectly and the monitor has been running for 2 months without problems.

Comment

I would greatly appreciate if you gave me the exact part numbers. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their input. My monitor is working again!!! Sorry for the late update. Here is the pic of the new Panasonic caps on the power board. Don't know if its interesting but I took apart one of the culprits and pictures are provided. When I tried to open the cap there was a big hiss like when you puncture a aerosol can. The metal strip looked blackened.
                Attached Files

Comment

Congrats man! Glad you got it working

Comment

Does anyone know what I can use to replace the 4 transistors on this board? I replaced all of the capacitors and I found that the transistors are bad but I can't find any information on them. They are just labeled U402.

Comment

Just a bit surprise that an important brand like Dell use CapXon capacitors in its PC.... I would guess that, as their PC are used by professional, Dell would select more carefully its supplier...

Comment

Had the same thing happen, ordered the same caps from digikey. Problem solved, thanks for the post.

Comment

capxon = the only brand i found to be fail / dried / zero capacity / SHORT in APFC part of psu..

Comment

you forgot fuhjyyu

Comment

Capxon caps were the culprits for my Viewsonic monitor too (All 4 of them!). After replacing them, the monitor came to life again! Don't know if there is a "good series" in Capxon caps but as far as it goes for me, i will never buy them... And this is just my humble opinion.

Comment

Well, i've found good CapXon capacitors in quite a few monitors and some (quite old) PSUs. They aren't "bad", they just have a short service life. And the companies know about this. Planned obsolescence. A few people doing TV repairs here use CapXon as replacement caps (makes you wonder what other no-name brand are they replacing, if they aren't actually replacing the same type of cap), a major electronics store here carries them... that's just the way it is.
                                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                  Well, i've found good CapXon capacitors in quite a few monitors and some (quite old) PSUs. They aren't "bad", they just have a short service life. And the companies know about this. Planned obsolescence. A few people doing TV repairs here use CapXon as replacement caps (makes you wonder what other no-name brand are they replacing, if they aren't actually replacing the same type of cap), a major electronics store here carries them... that's just the way it is.
                                  Being right next to a hot heatsink does them no favours either, on some monitors the heatsink reaches over the caps to make sure they're extra toasty...

Comment

Originally posted by Rulycat View Post
                                    Being right next to a hot heatsink does them no favours either, on some monitors the heatsink reaches over the caps to make sure they're extra toasty...
                                    Well, electrical design rules tell you that the caps should be located as close to the device powered by that rail as possible. Thermal design rules tell you that the caps should be located as far away from the heatsink as possible. Monitor designs violate both rules - the caps are located right next to the diodes' heatsinks, while the inverter is on the other edge of the board.
                                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                      Well, electrical design rules tell you that the caps should be located as close to the device powered by that rail as possible. Thermal design rules tell you that the caps should be located as far away from the heatsink as possible. Monitor designs violate both rules - the caps are located right next to the diodes' heatsinks, while the inverter is on the other edge of the board.
                                      Planned obsolesence at it's finest! In PSUs I see CapXons either in those FSPs with the god awful "heatsinks" where it's just a slab of aluminium, or really crowded low efficiency PSUs. I make a point to disable the fan controller now, which seems to make them last.

Comment

Working...
                                      X