This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

That's quite normal on those FSP units. There are being various "flying resistor" mods used to get them away from capacitors to stop heating them.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Better than most Sun Pros...At least it has an input filter and PPFC (but no voltage selector) Caps are a mix of Metacon, JEE, Gold Link, and Tongjia. All the filtering caps on the 3.3V/5V/12V and 5VSB are bulged... 13009 switchers, 30A for 3.3V, 16A for 12V, 30A for 5V. My buddy had this thing powering an AMD Phenom and a GTS 250 for a few years, no wonder all the caps died. Surprised the whole thing didn't die but he must not have been doing much gaming. BTW the fan was like that when I cracked it open, completely dry in there! Anyone know what that weird wire next to the bridge rectifier is?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Pentium4; 03-20-2013, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
        Anyone know what that weird wire next to the bridge rectifier is?
        Looks like a fuse holder, though I don't know why it would have one there.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
          Looks like a fuse holder.
          Wired to two pads marked 'sw'. A bodged voltage selector 'switch'?

BTW, is that a real PFC choke?
          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Hmmm, weird. Yes it is a real PFC choke. It's a Sun Pro so had to double check

Comment

Is it? Though I haven't found this model, most of newer Raidmax PSUs are made by Andyson.
              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

^ It's a Sun Pro for sure. The Te Bao Metallic Plastic fan, Metacon input caps, and the "7700" text on the transformers give it away.

Comment

Man you could fly jet with them eyes of yours

Comment

I always wanted to do that!

Comment

This one was made in 2006. Pretty old! I do like the secondary heatsink, plenty big. Think it could handle more than a 20A rectifier for the 12V?

Comment

First one of these I have seen (similar one on JG though), manufactured January, 2003. I think it is upgradable, only thing I'm worried about is if I can upgrade the transformer or not, looks like a 28? I think it would be cool to get this thing up to 300W. It has two Fairchild 13007's (probably need to be upgraded) and a C150 transistor on the primary. 470uF CS caps and a 4A bridge rectifier, it needs some input filtering. The caps on the secondary are Fuhjyyu, JPCE-TUR and CS, each rail has 1 pi coil. 3.3V is 20A (ST), 5V is 30A (ST), 12V is 12A (Mospec) i was planning on replacing the 12V which a 20A part. There is a screw hole already on the secondary so I was going to add a fan controller too. Stock, it has a Globe Fan ball bearing fan.
                        Attached Files

Comment

First one of these I have seen (similar one on JG though), manufactured January, 2003. I think it is upgradable, only thing I'm worried about is if I can upgrade the transformer or not, looks like a 28? I think it would be cool to get this thing up to 300W. It has two Fairchild 13007's (probably need to be upgraded) and a C150 transistor on the primary. 470uF CS caps and a 4A bridge rectifier, it needs some input filtering. The caps on the secondary are Fuhjyyu, JPCE-TUR and CS, each rail has 1 pi coil. 3.3V is 20A (ST), 5V is 30A (ST), 12V is 12A (Mospec) i was planning on replacing the 12V which a 20A part. There is a screw hole already on the secondary so I was going to add a fan controller too. Stock, it has a Globe Fan ball bearing fan.
                          It is a 2SC3150 transistor. I think that transformer is tad small.
                          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

The Premier that was in the JG bargain basement roundup was an ATNG. Can't tell if this one is too (though I am about 99% sure), or is a CWT. Their low end units use very similar designs. Also, I haven't been at this in quite a while .

Comment

The transformer is pathetic....and yeah JG's was a 300 I'm pretty sure. And yeah you're right, it says ATNG on the label

Comment

Ha you're right. Also, I just realized I use to have this exact unit. Unfortunately many of them got scrapped (not my decision ) though it may be among the few survivors. Not sure, haven't checked in a while.

Comment

What a shame! Think I can get it up to 300W or more? (Assuming I can find a transformer for it)

Comment

What a shame! Think I can get it up to 300W or more? (Assuming I can find a transformer for it)
                                    I wouldn't trust it for more than 250W for an extended period of time.

Comment

Neither would I.

Nice to have you back, 370.
                                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

250W with the transformer like it is now?

Comment

Yes.
                                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                          X