X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi Everyone,

I forgot to introduce myself. I used to be a electronic tech. 30 years ago, but have moved on to programming for a living. I have and can handle a DVM and scope just fine. Just trying to fix my monitor at this point.

Comment

Hi, My name is Sean.

I signed up because I'm interested in learning about Failing Capacitors, as I've seen a lot of device failures related to failed capacitors.

I probably won't post much, but if you see me around, at least you'll know who I am!

Comment

Hi all,

I'm Raymond and I've been soaking up the collective knowledge on this site for some time now.
        It has helped me repair a couple of boards and I hope to take a more active part in my electronics education.

Comment

Hi to all of you in this forum.
          I'm a Chemical Engineer with an affection to electronics caused by my love to Audio, of the High quality kind, except for the recent (Madness?) self addressed as "esoteric audio"
          (you know: magic stones that placed on amplifiers somehow alter the sound, "purifying it", expensive cables that cost more than any active component in the chain and so and so...)
          I would define myself as: Engineer by profession, Scientist by vocation, Multidisciplinary by formation. I love to solve technical problems in various fields.
          32+ years of technical experience working as a design Engineer, Consultant and Problem Solver at a large Reseach and Development Center for the Petroleum and Petrochemical industry (Mexican Petroleum Institute), akin to the "API" or American Petroleum Institute.
          A kind of "Jack of all trades" in respect to Hobbies (many more than I would want to have!) a few to mention: car mechanics and modification, airplanes and flying (full size and models), Photography (chemical and digital), Electronics and High Fidelity Audio, Do-It Yourself everything!, tools and crafts, all kind of repairs and maintenance, computers and gear, science and technology, knowledge in general!

Strong believer of the gorgeous Internet freedom of expression, I am grateful to be living in this era, where we have the LARGEST library of the whole planet at our PC screen and fingertips... The fact that Internet is now a "normal" service, make people born after 1990 or so take it for granted, and are frequently unamused by it. For people like me, that studied engineering with paper books, made calculations with the help of slide rules and the very first electronic handheld calculators (HP-35!), Internet is an absolute marvel!

At the same time, I am enraged to see too many people wasting valuable time and precious resources just chatting online or reading stupid nonsense. Lets put it to good work!

I came to this forum because I bought a pair of FAKE HITACHI brand large capacitors (22,000 MFD, 80 VDC) that were sold to me in an otherwise "prestigious" store here in Mexico City; one was open-circuited or dead-on-arrival, the other barely reached capacitance but failed to have a low ESR, anyway I returned them to the vendor. Following some internet threads, I ended here. Apart from fake capacitors, I've seen a lot of fake transistors and a couple of fake IC's, all courtesy of our chinese "friends" . This is a serious problem, and we need to do something about it. someone I know wasn't fortunate and a large capacitor completely failed and damaged a pristine hand made hi fidelity amplifier, which even caught fire!
          Another fellow damaged and burned his woofers because fake transistors sended a large DC though them. When I realized this forum was more dedicated to PC's and computing in general, I briefly thought about not suscribing, but informing people about this malady is my small contribution to try to combat these bad practices. And I love to learn, so please let me learn something from you all.

Best wishes for all of you,
          AMclaussen from Mexico City.
          Last edited by Amclaussen; 09-14-2012, 11:10 AM. Reason: corrected typo.

Comment

Hello to all lovely badcaps members!, Kiran from India

Comment

Hi to all forum members.
              I'm new to this forum, but not new to component level PCB repair.
              I carried a servicemans toolbox for 20 years, working on consumer electronics, before shifting into the computer field for the next 15 years.
              I'm semi retired now, but fix a few electronics devices to save them from the tip or just because I like them.
              Looking forward to keeping up with trends and repair techniques.
              Cheers
              Greg

Comment

Hi

Like many of you I can't stand things being thrown in landfill tip just for the sake of a simple component replacement worth a couple of dollars! I've fixed TVs, monitors, laptops, power supplies, motherboards and various small things, just by following my nose and intuition.

I tend to start where the obvious bulging capacitors are! I also look for tell tale burnt marks! And a quick google too! I have enough electronics theory to be dangerous at the moment rather than being useful... but most items I attempt to repair end up working again! (Sometime by pure luck, sometimes by pure skill... but more often than not, a combination of the two!)

Can't believe I've never found this forum until now! But what a great looking place it is. I hope to improve my repair success rate with the amazing info on this site. Always happy to learn new tricks and skills which I'm bound to do here!!

It'd be wonderful to have some sort of scope and something to play with jtag, i2c etc.

Thanks in advance for these wonderful forums, and the wisdom contained within....

Mike

Comment

I'm iToasterman aka Mathew, and I got dead pcs to work on ^^

Comment

i there i am stretch i am new to these sites but ihave worked with electrics for a while now so i joined this site in the hope of gaing more nolege or even helping others

Comment

Hello,

I am an old IT guy who is trying to make our equipment go a little farther, especially beyond the warranty date. Excellent site and knowledge base.

Comment

I guys and Im an electronics tech but i was out of field for some time and i need to now about the new technology

Comment

Hi, I'm Rod and I just found an kick-ass-solution for my samsung syncmaster 2043bw here! Seemed I had the correct idea to change blown caps, BUT DID NOT ENOUGH OF THEM! I will go on in a few days and will report, too.
                          Conclusio: The Samsung-solution for selling seems to jump the warranty-line by/with bad Caps. Ok - a good horse never jumps higher as needed, but... AHHHHRGGG!
                          Thx a lot - even for bearing my poor english to this point. Hope I can help with technical experience.
                          Rod

Comment

Hi
                            I am Greg and live in Vancouver BC. As far as experience- I know the soldering iron hurts when picked up from wrong end and my voltmeter doesn't work when I forget to turn it off (Murphy's corollary- if I have a 9v battery handy I need 2 AAAs).

I have a Vivitek LT26PL1A LCD tv. I bought it at least 5 years ago and it has been used periodically but mostly sat around turned off but attached to my spare computer. It currently won`t turn on - just a white power light-should be blue/yellow I think. When I plug it in there is no noise, sound clicks or anything except the light. Even though my symptoms are different than others with the LTV Westinghouse TVs (I think mine is the same but re-branded) I re-soldered the C210 points on the power supply. As suspected it didn't fix anything but made me feel better that I tried something...
                            Will now try to search out more details about my issues (regarding the TV not my ability to reason at 1 a.m.). I appreciate the information and detail I have read so far- it is nice to be able to drill down a bit to troubleshoot and fix something that is not 'really' broken (I hope).

Comment

Hello to everyone. Wish I found this site earlier as it would have saved me some hair,lol.

Comment

hello to everyone! I am Emanuele, from italy. Found this amazing forum while i was trying to repair my acer al2416w. but now i made i mistake and i need more specific help!

Comment

Hello...Tech's and DIY'ers, I thank ya for your site that will be a great help in my continued education and knowledge, I currently service quit a bit of small to large appliances, game systems, computers and programming. I also am a Tailor and also service commercial computerized embroidery machines and sewing machines. If at any point I can help someone please let me know. Thanks

magnavox 32md359b/f7 , My problem is I have a white screen with sound, checked for bulging caps but no sign of leaks or bulging. Please any advice would be helpful
                                  Last edited by YEROC37; 09-20-2012, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Hi All, my name is Lawrence from Ontario, Canada.

Great to find out about this board and join this board. I did not know this board existed until I was looking for info on fixing a HDtuner and came across info on bad capacitors. This has really opened my eyes on things I've thrown out. I should have come across this board sooner.

So, I hope to learn more from this forum as I am a novice but a true DIY at heart.

Nice to find you guys.

Comment

Hello everyone! New to computers and found this site after I purchased a used monitor that I thought worked. Now, I am on a mission to fix it and learn as I go! Hopefully, after I soak up a lot of knowledge from you, I will be able to share and give some back. For now, my journey has just begun.

Comment

Hello all, I am pretty much brand new to replacing components of boards (replaced 7 capacitors thus far) so expect to be hearing a lot from me. I have lots of experience repairing/building computers but now feel the need to be able to perform component level repair.

Comment

My Name is Cmeg, I am Retired with my Lovely Wife Christa (Married 57 Years) and 2 Grown Son's that are Married also.
                                          I am an Avid Gamer: MechWarrior4Mercenaries Free MechTek Version 3.1.
                                          I am also an Extra Class Amateur Radio Operator. Built my own Transmitter and Receiver from old TV parts back in the 50's. Have always enjoy Electronics.
                                          a Korean War Vet and like to Play Golf.
                                          Novice at repairing Video cards and have not tackled a MotherBoard or PSU yet. Just a Noob at most things. So much for this. Thanks Badcaps for being here for all our needs and wishes.
                                          Cmeg

Comment

Working...
                                          X