X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello BadCaps, I'm Sparky.

I found this forum while trying to find repair info on a samsung lcd tv that I'm having trouble with at home. I've always had an interest in electronics. I started in school on the late 80"s going for electronics but had to switch trades. I went back in 2006, and in 2008 I got my degree in Electronics engineering technology. I love trouble shooting to figure solutions that others have trouble with.

It's nice to meeting everyone, and look forward to picking up some much needed knowledge and advice, and hopefully help someone else out if needed.

Comment

Hello : ) new to the forum, had a MAJOR issue with one of my friend's tv's and decoded to do a little googling. That brought me here and I found the perfect thread to give me the exact information I need. Thank you Badcaps ^_^

Comment

Dear all a very rainy good morning,

My name is simone from Wales.. ( originally from italy) where the average rainy day in a year is 310!!!!!

I am a DIY fun and therefore I wonder around site to find solution and sometime give my opinion on problem

Will see you all soon...

Byeeeee

Comment

Got a bad monitor....Saw the site and hope to get some insight from some people that no a lot more than i do as to repair

Comment

Hello everyone, I found this site because I've recently got two Plasma TV's that need work. And I'm a newbie to working on TV's. I have done work on computers before. So i figured i would try TV's out for a try. And with some help from everyone here I think i'll be able to fix my Tvs and hopefully more later on.

Comment

Howdy all from Surrey UK. Sitting in front of a api4pc46 PSU which is refusing to switch on and finding some excellent support on the forum especially from Toasty. Many thanks for a great resource.

Comment

Hello from Palm Coast, Florida. I was researching why my Vizio 42" LED TV (model #m420nv) has no sound and a reversed picture and found this website. I am ready to take the TV apart but first need to know what the potential problems are. Thanks.

Comment

Happy to join up. Looking to extend my knowledge of TV repair, and gain from the experience from the community...

Comment

Hello and thanks in advance for all the technical info! Been looking around the site all day reading stuff.

Comment

Hello everyone! Decided to join in order to learn more about the technical side of computers and lcd tvs, which I work with every day to a limited extent. Thanks for having me.

Comment

Hi everyone, been browsing forums for a while and see a lot of knowable people that I could learn from, so I registered tonight. glad to be here and will be reading a lot.

Comment

i have been trying to post my introduction for a couple days now not having any success. can some one lend a hand so i can get started? would really appreciate it thanks in advance

Comment

Hello,

I'm a complete novice in respect to electronics repair. As a result I don't own any tools of trade, but hopefully can borrow a soldering if I get to that stage.

Found this forum while searching for replacements to CapXon capacitors, in a 19" Philips LCD television. That I will post about separately for clarification.

Historically I've had a computer monitor and power supply go faulty, but I lacked the tools (special screwdrivers needed to open up casing) and inclination to investigate. And not having spares to switch out so I could continue using computer caused me replace them immediately and never retrospectively diagnosed cause for originals fault.

One benefit in regard to computer technology always advancing was moving up from a 17" 1280x1024 to 20" 1650x1050 monitor, and more efficient PSU.

With the television I again needed to replace as I didn't have a spare, but I've saved the original for some educational troubleshooting when I work out what to order, borrow a soldering iron, and have some free time with good day light. And if I can repair it, it can be used in another room eventually.

Comment

Hello,my name Rolandas.I like fixing electronic equipment,TV's,computers.This site will be very useful.

Comment

Hello, my name is Sebastien, i'm French and fixing electronic is my hobby

Comment

Hi there, My name is John Connelly & I own The IT Man. I have been in the IT industry for 30 years, enjoy fixing electronic equipment, actually make money from what was my hobby .
                                  I look forward to learning new things & assisting others where I can

Comment

I'm Joe in Jackson, MS. I do most repairs on my own, but that typically applies to automobiles and appliances. I'm trying to figure out my television now.

Comment

hello, I am from Canada. i am electronic technician. also learning how to troubleshoots

Comment

Hello, I am from Nepal. i am mobile and CRT T.V technician. I am new in laptop and lcd T.V.

Comment

Greetings from Santa Barbara.

A rash of electronic failures prompted me to start searching, which led me to this site. I was unaware of the capacitor plague issue before this.

1. About two years ago my Asus A7V8X based system died. I bought it new around 2003 and it had plugged away, first with an Athlon XP2000+ and later with a Sempron 3000+, without any issues. I don't see any bulged capacitors but am wondering if that's what's wrong.

2. I replaced the A7V8X with an A7N8X, basically Asus's next version AMD socket A board, about two years ago. I bought it new in the box and was running the XP2000+ when it died. As I recall, it wouldn't boot one day and the next I couldn't even get into the BIOS setup. Recent inspection once I became aware of the capacitor issue revealed that seven of the eight 3300 ufd caps were bulged/leaking. I'd like to get this board working again as I have some DDR400 memory and XP3200+ processors are cheap.

3. I have a NetVista 8313-53U for internet access. Shortly after the A7N8X failed I noticed that the NetVista wouldn't go into Standby. It would just restart when I tried. Soon after that I started seeing hard drive errors. I bought a new hard drive but it showed errors essentially out of the box. However the Quantum 40 GB drive that I originally used in the system ran OK. Microsoft misled me by pointing at driver issues for the Standby problem. But after some more searching I decided to replace the power supply. Upon removal I noticed that the PS fan seemed to be chattering due to a failing bearing. My #1 suspicion is that the chattering fan wouldn't spin at the intended RPM, and the this caused the PS to run hot and start to fail. Perhaps running hot caused a capacitor to fail. With a warranty replacement hard drive and new PS, I'm up again. Didn't think of it at the time but I wish I'd checked the 5VSB line before tossing the bad PS to see it it was dead.

4. My ten year old Sanyo DS13390 TV won't turn on. There's a relay in it that apparently turns on during powerup. At first it started clicking repeatedly as if there wasn't enough power to get it to engage. But after a while it would. Now it just clicks forever. I suspect that a capacitor in a power supply has failed. Alternately relay drivers sometimes use a capacitor to provide enough power to latch the solenoid but have a smaller holding current. In either case I suspect a bad capacitor. I'm going to have to open it up again now that I know about the bad capacitor issue.

I'd prefer to send the A7N8X to a repair service rather than try to fix it myself. But repeated queries to Badcaps have gotten no response. Can anyone refer me to a reputable recapping service?

Bill

Comment

Working...
                                          X