Let's play,"Guess that PSU!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's play,"Guess that PSU!"

Hello,being a noob to this paticular forum,I hope you guys will go easy on me!
    I have been in the Pc industry about 9 years now,started out just trying to make them faster for games,then I was forever damned to walk this earth obbsessed with the sickness.PSU's have always captured my attention.But alas,where are the days when we could put a 350w Tiger Pro on damn near anything,and have no worries ,mate?Enough,lets get down to brass tacks.The PSU Im going to show you is not remarkable by any standard,but I do have some quetions about it.I got a call about 2:30am 3 days ago,from one of my lesser seen cutomers.She was in tears becouse her Pc shut down in the middle of playing Dinnerdash!I told her I would be right over,being that she was 56,and sweet as honey.I then arrived at her house and was welcomed by the magic smoke smell!The PSU was my first thought,but no!What I was smelling was a WD 10gb drive,a appollo SIS 315 128mb and a Creative 8x burner,being sacrificed to the Gods.Happened to have my X128 Pro(my test pci card)in my kit.I yanked everything out except the mainboard and memory,installed the X128,got out the no name DMM,and proceded to test the rails.was reading 12.72 on the 12+! 3.3+ was at 3.89!I instantly unpluged my meter and yanked the power cord,bundled it all up and took it home to autopsy.I later found out that the PSU had been in a internet server at a school for 3 years powering a 450Mhz cpu and various hard drives,then her husband witch worked at the school,aqiured the PSU at a bakeoff.He installed it in her rig for the last 2 years powering a 1700XP,80 gb drive,sis 315,burner,and 2 80mm fans,Ive opened it up,and no bad caps or scorching!What could be the deal?Here's the pics,guess what it is?Sorry about the quality
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CAD4466HK; 09-27-2006, 04:04 PM.
    MSI K8N Diamond Plus SLIx16
    3700+ Sandy E4 245x11@2695 1.47v
    Zalman 7000bcu w/AS5
    2GB KHX PC-4000 3-4-4-8-1T
    eVGA 7900GT KO 600/1600 (3RD RMA)
    2xWD SATA1 80GB RAID 0 16KB/16KB
    Lite-On SOHC-5232K
    Lite-On SOHW-1693S
    SB X-FI 9000 Extream Gamer 64mb
    Antec Neopower 480 v2.0 (with sleaved cables 18&18@36amps
    Antec P180

Re: Let's play,"Guess that PSU!"

Originally posted by CAD4466HK
    Sorry about the quality
    No offense. But how is it that you have a camera that takes such crappy pics.

I can't make anything out except that the primary caps are Rubycon.
    Rest in peace BFG. You were... a job...

Comment

Sorry,my wife took the first ones,her camera,I fought her for it and one!Flash wasent on and batteries were weak,these probabley arnt any better,so much for my first post here
      Attached Files
      Zalman 7000bcu w/AS5
      Lite-On SOHC-5232K
      Lite-On SOHW-1693S
      Antec P180

Comment

So is this like a game we're playing or you really want to know?

If I had to guess (game) I'd say maybe Lite-On (total guess.) But it seems to be a fairly decent quality unit, so I would assume that there would be a UL (RU) logo on the housing and an Exxxxxx certification number somewhere on the label. No?

Comment

I'm going to say Shenzen Chi Yuan... for some reason, they look to have put their UL certification on the tubing covering the wiring. Unless SCY has certified that tubing seperately and sold some to whomever made this unit.

Comment

I thought Chi Yuan just made the wire and tubing. Do they have an SMPS UL listing?

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyGURU
              So is this like a game we're playing or you really want to know?

If I had to guess (game) I'd say maybe Lite-On (total guess.) But it seems to be a fairly decent quality unit, so I would assume that there would be a UL (RU) logo on the housing and an Exxxxxx certification number somewhere on the label. No?
              Yes,this a game,for one,I had never heardof the brand that it was made for,but IVE KNOWN THE REAL MANUFACTURE ALL THE LONG.Nice job guys,but you were both wrong.
              Attached Files
              Zalman 7000bcu w/AS5
              Lite-On SOHC-5232K
              Lite-On SOHW-1693S
              Antec P180

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyGURU
                I thought Chi Yuan just made the wire and tubing. Do they have an SMPS UL listing?
                Might be a different company - there's Chi Yuan (plastics) and Shenzen Chi Yuan (SMPS). SCY is e181356.

Comment

Thought it was a Hipro?
                  Zalman 7000bcu w/AS5
                  Lite-On SOHC-5232K
                  Lite-On SOHW-1693S
                  Antec P180

Comment

It is, I'm just answering JG's question

Comment

There is no visable damage,would this make a good first time re-cap?
                      Zalman 7000bcu w/AS5
                      Lite-On SOHC-5232K
                      Lite-On SOHW-1693S
                      Antec P180

Comment

I know this is in the wrong thread,but it has to do with this PSU.This is the motherboard it was running when it started on its rampage,notice the bulgeing caps around the memory,and the one under the agp slot,looks like it started leaking.
                        Attached Files
                        Zalman 7000bcu w/AS5
                        Lite-On SOHC-5232K
                        Lite-On SOHW-1693S
                        Antec P180

Comment

FWIW, the .47uF X cap is made by Iskra, which used to be a Yugoslavian company; not sure whether it's Serbian now or ??. I'm guessing from the +5V Stby current rating and the S/N that the unit was made in late February of 1998.
                          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

you should give several more days for us to answer.. i know it's a hipro, though hipro psu(s) that i know don't use skimpy heatsink like that.
                            days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Originally posted by CAD4466HK
                              I know this is in the wrong thread,but it has to do with this PSU.This is the motherboard it was running when it started on its rampage,notice the bulgeing caps around the memory,and the one under the agp slot,looks like it started leaking.

You may not be able to diagnose a PSU by measuring voltages hooked up to an unknown, failing load (the faulty motherboard).

Hook it up to something else, some load resistors or a few hard drives, and recheck the voltages. It is not a very high quality PSU (there are worst of course, but it wasn't exceptional enough to counter it's age, general wear) and has seen a fair number of hours already without any sign of cap failure and a cheap generic fan. It is not really a good candidate for a recap given that today's old suplus PSU from yesteryear have similar output and sell for a fraction of their prior cost. That is, if there's anything wrong with it at all but for a little dust that needs cleaned out and maybe a fan relube or replacement.

I ran across a PSU like that in a (Cybermax?) K6-III system, it's fan had failed running in 90+ degree non-air conditioned environment and it baked to a crisp at about 3 years old. Entire thing was heat stressed and not worth even checking for failure points.

Comment

Originally posted by 999999999
                                You may not be able to diagnose a PSU by measuring voltages hooked up to an unknown, failing load (the faulty motherboard).

Hook it up to something else, some load resistors or a few hard drives, and recheck the voltages. It is not a very high quality PSU (there are worst of course, but it wasn't exceptional enough to counter it's age, general wear) and has seen a fair number of hours already without any sign of cap failure and a cheap generic fan. It is not really a good candidate for a recap given that today's old suplus PSU from yesteryear have similar output and sell for a fraction of their prior cost. That is, if there's anything wrong with it at all but for a little dust that needs cleaned out and maybe a fan relube or replacement.

I ran across a PSU like that in a (Cybermax?) K6-III system, it's fan had failed running in 90+ degree non-air conditioned environment and it baked to a crisp at about 3 years old. Entire thing was heat stressed and not worth even checking for failure points.

How was I to konw the MB was bad,or going bad?When I got it home and put it on a MB that I know works with a ata-33 drive and memory,S.O.S,still overvoltage.I just wanted something to pratice on,since Ive never done it.
                                Zalman 7000bcu w/AS5
                                Lite-On SOHC-5232K
                                Lite-On SOHW-1693S
                                Antec P180

Comment

I encountered a very similar psu (NLXAK not NLXAA) in a p2/350 sys at my former school. Its fan had failed, and there was burning and badcaps. I replaced it with a fortron instead of wasting time/money recapping.
                                  The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

my old 200-250W hipro (oem for Samsung) uses su'scon sd and teapo (light blue). they're still functioning fine though. chris, any report of failed su'scon or teapo in psus will be meaningfull for us (if you can tell us what badcaps they are). i just bought a bunch of silverstone psus with teapos inside and don't want to do recapping at all.
                                    days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Working...
                                    X