Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: XBOX V1.6 with bad caps

Originally posted by stj View Post
    there is no point trying to overclock an xbox - it wont work.
    people have replaced the cpu,

but the best boost is to start with an older board and add the extra ram to it.
    then you go from 64meg to 128meg.
    but even then, not much uses it.
    Just for additional information:

Many years back, a company called FriendTech used to upgrade the CPU in the original xbox from a 733MHz Celeron CPU to a 1.4GHz P3. I think they called the upgraded XBOX a "DREAMBOX".

They had a patent for some kind of CPU adapter:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20050282621A1

On another note, the 128MB ram upgrade is a cool idea, but no stock xbox games would ever make use of the upgraded RAM, because they were programmed only for 64MB. The full 128MB would probably be used by emulators and XBMC.

If memory serves, I think the RAM upgrade from 64MB to 128MB should also be accompanied by a software setting to tell the system to use the extra RAM, otherwise doing the hardware mod by itself may yield no improvement... Correct me if that is not the case because I don't remember much about it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Unspun01 View Post
      Just for additional information:

Many years back, a company called FriendTech used to upgrade the CPU in the original xbox from a 733MHz Celeron CPU to a 1.4GHz P3. I think they called the upgraded XBOX a "DREAMBOX".

They had a patent for some kind of CPU adapter:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20050282621A1

On another note, the 128MB ram upgrade is a cool idea, but no stock xbox games would ever make use of the upgraded RAM, because they were programmed only for 64MB. The full 128MB would probably be used by emulators and XBMC.

If memory serves, I think the RAM upgrade from 64MB to 128MB should also be accompanied by a software setting to tell the system to use the extra RAM, otherwise doing the hardware mod by itself may yield no improvement... Correct me if that is not the case because I don't remember much about it now.
      Cool patent. Thanks for sharing. I shared with the FB group.

Yes, some emulators, XBMC and its "derivatives". I hear the 128MB upgrade could also be used for setting up your own Development Kit stuff as well. Not something I've looked into, however.

If you're running a large library with a ton of artwork in XBMC4Gamers for example, a speedy dashboard might make it worth the upgrade but, that's a "to each their own" kind of thing.
      Last edited by Natetronn; 12-04-2019, 12:46 PM. Reason: eta

Comment

It's basically an adapter that allows a Tualatin to be run in a system board intended for a coppermine. There were a lot of companies that made these back in the day....but I never knew there was an xbox that could take one, kind of cool!
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Yeah, I remember wanting a "Dreambox" so bad back when they were current-gen, and they were very expensive to get.

As a result, there are not many around, and those who have them keep them safe. I have not seen one for sale in many years but I imagine they sell for a lot of money.

Until recently, I thought the upgraded CPU was just remove the old Celeron 733 and replace with the upgraded CPU, but I think the adapter was needed.

Someone more knowledgeable may have more information.

Comment

Originally posted by Unspun01 View Post
            Until recently, I thought the upgraded CPU was just remove the old Celeron 733 and replace with the upgraded CPU, but I think the adapter was needed.

Someone more knowledgeable may have more information.
            I don't know the proper terminology but, they are installed directly to the motherboard. Not like a PC where you just open the hinge, pull out the cpu and drop a new one in. It's not an easy mod to do from what I've been told. Probably why we don't see it done more often.

Plenty of pics of the cpu on the net but, you can see it in the 3 stj posted:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...15&postcount=8
            Last edited by Natetronn; 12-04-2019, 04:34 PM. Reason: eta

Comment

the cpu that is compatable with the xbox is rare and expensive - that's another reason you rarely see one.

Comment

Working...
              X