X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus A6j Hard disk disappear after reboot

Hi gurus,
    My laptop starts to be crazy.
    Once switched on it hangs with a Boot Disk Error .
    From the BIOS I can see the disk, its size, full Info's.
    Tried to reinstall several times a fresh OS (Windows Xp/Vista/7/ Linux) from DVD, no problem. Also the integrity check shows no disk or surface errors.
    The very first reboot works fine. Powering on the laptop after one hour or so the boot hangs with a Boot Disk Error and the issue is reproducible.

Replaced the hard disk with a new one, same problem!

I am afraid the problem is in the main board , I checked it seems good no signs of bad casps or so...

What is your opinion about?
    This Asus still a very good laptop despite the age and I would like to continue to use ....

Any idea is greatly appreciated.

Re: Asus A6j Hard disk disappear after reboot

This smells like a southbridge issue. Looks like a reflow/reball of the SB would be in order.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

i agree with 'Th3_uN1Qu3' i have once this kind of issue, and it was soutbridge error.

(try press SB while turning on laptop )
      ...the quieter you become the more you are able to hear...

Comment

Thanks friends!

Are there some easy instructions to be followed for unexperienced engineer like me for reflowing/reballing the chip set the first time ?

I can access to a professional soldering air station, but unfortunately I never did it before...

A schematic diagram of A6J/A6Ja would be interesting to see, but I don't know where found it.
        Last edited by _max_; 04-03-2014, 11:39 PM.

Comment

There.
          Attached Files

Comment

You're great :-)

For the next time, can you share some good places where such schematics can be found?

Comment

Working...
            X