Finally found them! Shuttle SG31G2S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally found them! Shuttle SG31G2S

Been pretty sure there's problems with my Shuttle for more than a year now, but visual inspection has lead nowhere, nearly all the caps are solid type. But now that I've completely dismantled it, I could clearly see three 1800uF radial caps labeled TK. All bulging, and a quick search on those will show many failures in other boards. Will get some caps and swap them out.

Re: Finally found them! Shuttle SG31G2S

Welcome Nomad,

I've had to replace the same 3 capacitors in 3 seperate shuttles. TK are known as "Terrible Kapacitators" which is a polite understatement. I believe that your Shuttle should be fine after replacement, and good luck!

Comment

I just acquired 4 SG31G2's for free. all had problems marked on them, and all had a helping of 1 to all 3 of the 6.3 1800's bulging.

pretty much harvested the capacitors needed off of a donor board full of Rubycons (not good practice, I know.) and recapped them all, didn't bother leaving the non-bulging ones in there. Viola, all 4 are running strong just like that. I left them each on for 3 days straight under heavy load and they haven't had any issues. one even went cross-country already and now has an E8200 and an 8800GT stuffed in it.

Pic Related, you can see here the marked off bulging ones.
      Last edited by Sudos; 05-06-2013, 05:34 PM.

Comment

It's amazing to me that those three caps can trash these fine little boxes. Good find on your part!

Comment

You'd think they would stop using bad caps by now. But I guess Shuttle (or whoever is manufacturing their boards) just doesn't want/care to.
          That's sad. Bad caps can indeed trash the motherboard - sometimes irreversibly like on my Shuttle SB83 motherboard.

Comment

We just got a new Shuttle in for a coral reef imaging project. I'm not sure of the model number. It has all polymer caps on the motherboard. I'm not sure about the power supply. Maybe Shuttle is getting their act together.

Comment

Working...
            X