Need Help Phillips 47pfl5704d/f7 Screen just died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help Phillips 47pfl5704d/f7 Screen just died

Please take a look at the pictures, have you ever seen this before?
    Watching TV with my wife and boom, this happened.
    No impact just watching TV.

As you can see after 2 minutes the whole thing brightens up.
    I replaced the T-con board just to rule it out but didn't change anything.

It looks like all of the gate drivers are permanently connected to the screen.
    Any ideas other than replacing the entire screen?
    Attached Files

Re: Need Help Phillips 47pfl5704d/f7 Screen just died

Bad screen, I have seen it before, nothing you can do except replacing the LCD panel.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation Budm.

Have you ever tried using the heat/air gun on a rework station to re-heat(resolder) the connection to the LCD? I'm thinking about giving it a try. Can't hurt at this point I guess!

Comment

Has anyone found a fix to this issue? Or is a new panel still the only solution? Is there anything that can be done to repair a panel like this one? And just for information sake, what actually is the problem here?

Comment

If you have or know someone with a tab bond machine. You can repair them.
          I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Just so you know,I am a novice at the art of electronics repair. However unlike an old dog, I can be taught new tricks. Could you walk me through this processs or send a link showing how its done? I can usually repeat a process if I have seen it done or have been explained how to do it.
            If the panel is actually toast, then I really have nothing to lose. But if there is a chance to save it I would really like to try.
            Also, if its relevant, could you go into a little more detail of the problem of the display

Comment

the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMAeQZBfbls

Comment

Ok, so I watched that video and a few others and I have a few concerns.
                1) Nobody in these videos look like they are doing this at home. I see a lot of technicians and laboratories.
                2) there seem to be some supplies and chemicals involved ( which I cannot identify since these videos are in a different language)
                Is this something that can be done at home or am I just wasting time

Comment

For all practical purposes the defect is like a cracked screen. nonrepairable unless you want to spend thousands of dollars

Comment

Originally posted by Shadetree83 View Post
                    Ok, so I watched that video and a few others and I have a few concerns.
                    1) Nobody in these videos look like they are doing this at home. I see a lot of technicians and laboratories.
                    2) there seem to be some supplies and chemicals involved ( which I cannot identify since these videos are in a different language)
                    Is this something that can be done at home or am I just wasting time
                    They use 3M Anisotropic Conductive Film and the chemical they use for cleaning is probably isopropanol.
                    It has to be aligned perfectly and then applied with heat and pressure.
                    There are a couple of threads on here with members talking about DIY methods.
                    The tape is over $200, needs to be stored correctly and has a shelf life.

Comment

Well sounds like I will have to do some more searching for some band-aid type fixes to see if I can get it playing again. I'll also look around for some shops that might have this technology an see what their charging.
                      Wish you had some better news for me. I was really hoping there was a way to fix this at home. But if i can't I will have to look for a new panel or I might just be parting it out.
                      I appreciate the info received and will definitely be back for more.

Comment

It is extremely hard to repair a panel yourself. It is fun if you have the money to spend on material and machines so you can fix many tv's .....but just for this tv only its not worth it.

Temporary fix is to apply pressure on the tabs. This is a common philips LCD fault.
                        I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Yes, that's what I see thinking. I saw some " fixes" using pieces of plastic and other rigid materials. Have also heard of surgical tubing. Though I was thinking of finding something a little more stiff, but not as stiff as plastic or wood. Any suggestions?
                          Really wanted to get this going before the Buckeyes started but I'm running out of time. O-H!
                          Worst case scenario I'll end up having to get a new or refurbished panel but I'm having trouble there too. Anyone have a lead on a LC470wuf-sba1 ?

Comment

Buying a new lcd screen is not an option , it costs more then a a brand new tv! Also with these company's you need to buy like 100+.
                            And why spent so much money on a 3/4 year old tv.....

You need to use something that is heat resistant , the COF ( chip on film ) chips get really hot.
                            Squeeze the bezel when the fault is occurring , it will probably get better of even disappear.
                            I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

You can try some thermal pad. That will apply pressure and dissipate heat

Comment

So here's another point. All of the similar issues I have seen like this, with the fix we are talking about, all had vertical lines running from all the way from the top to the bottom of the screen. Why on my tv,like the pics above, do I have one good strip of picture that runs across the top. Is my picture running horizontally? I haven't torn the tv down to the panel yet to find, or tinker with the tabs yet. Are they ever on the side of the panel? Maybe the signal only gets that far down before the signal fades out too much to create a picture l? Then I ask, if there are multiple tabs did the board opposite the panel (between the panel and the t-con) go bad and is not sending a good signal or all the tabs failed the same way at the same time (seems unlikely).
                                Again, thanks everyone putting up with my questions, which might be silly to the experts here. But if you don't ask,you'll never know.
                                Last edited by Shadetree83; 08-14-2017, 09:01 PM. Reason: word selection

Comment

I get your point but im sorry , this panel is shot!

I had the 8404 model with ambilight and when it was on the screen got the same like yours. Looked like a fragment of the film "The ring" , i was waiting for the girl to get out of my tv.

Squeeze the bezel top right/top left and see if it gets better. Or hit it on top....

Comment

I get your point. And I do believe its the panel. Just wondering, for informational purposes, why this model fails like this when others fail with the vertical lines.
                                    It took me forever to even find a post like this with the same symptoms and anyone with any useful info. Probably this Fri or Sat I'll dig into it a little more. I'll be back to post my results.

Comment

It is not just this model. Alot of philips tv's give the same symptoms.

Comment

Working...
                                      X