Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic SC-BT230 Blu-ray Home Cinema

Hi all,

I have a Panasonic SC-BT230 Blu-ray Home Cinema and it comes up with an error code F61. The system starts for a few seconds, the error is shown on the units display and shuts down immediately.

Searching on the internet talks about the cooling fan and to clean it. So, I took out the fan, cleaned it and tested it, spins ok.

Plugged it back in, same problem.

Anybody have any other clues to this unit?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Panasonic SC-BT230 Blu-ray Home Cinema

Further to that with more thorough details:

When the power button is pressed :

The fans boots fast then a slow continuous.
    The screen on the unit flashes "Please Wait"
    Then a "Hello" appears, and after about a 2 - 4 seconds (it can vary) an error code F61 code flashes really fast and the unit switches off.
    A few times the word "Hello" or "F61" does not have a chance to appear and the unit switches off.

I have then temp swapped it for a similar sized computer fan of equal voltage and similar current values, but the error is still present.
    I also tried it without the fan. same error.
    I wondered if the sense line of the fan was at fault, but the computer fan should rule that out.

The speaker connections are propriety and colour coded, so cannot be shorted, and anyway it has been working over the years so could be ruled out. Secondly, it's in a secondary room, so does not get used as much.

There are no visual signs, burns, smells, or blown caps etc. The unit is out of warranty and though it's not the best system out there and I could replace it, but It seems such a waste of electronics if a simple fix could be reached, or a fix of sensibly value.

I'm not an electronics engineer, but have dabbled over the years, built PC's, replaced a few basic components here and there and have understood that capacitors can be the main culprits in many electronics.

So, after all this. Does anybody have a clue?

Much appreciated

Comment

Since it is an audio amplifier after all, I would look hard at speaker amplifier output circuit and there is a small chance of a power circuit failure of some sort. I am guessing the PA is a brick and probably putting DC to the speaker terminals, triggering an error and forcing the unit to shut down.
      Big amps have a protection mode and I am sure that thing has one too of some sort. Kinda hard to tell without pix.
      Last edited by CapLeaker; 01-15-2015, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
        Since it is an audio amplifier after all, I would look hard at speaker amplifier output circuit and there is a small chance of a power circuit failure of some sort. I am guessing the PA is a brick and probably putting DC to the speaker terminals, triggering an error and forcing the unit to shut down.
        Big amps have a protection mode and I am sure that thing has one too of some sort. Kinda hard to tell without pix.
        Thanks for looking into this. Tbh, I'm not sure how to check all that, maybe beyond my scope. Maybe take it to a technician.

I will get some photos uploaded asap. I did notice some sort of possible burning on the underneath of the power supply module. I'll show in the photos asap.

Comment

Could be even a PSU issue if it's randomly shutting down. Does mention either amp output or power supply to amp?

I'm not going to pretend to say i know how to fix this, never seen inside anything like this but after just fixing a Sony home micro HIFI(cheap) which just randomly shut off at boot up, it had the crappiest caps and one had gone dead short.

panasonic normally use decent caps but then who knows these days with cost cutting.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
            Could be even a PSU issue if it's randomly shutting down. Does mention either amp output or power supply to amp?

I'm not going to pretend to say i know how to fix this, never seen inside anything like this but after just fixing a Sony home micro HIFI(cheap) which just randomly shut off at boot up, it had the crappiest caps and one had gone dead short.

panasonic normally use decent caps but then who knows these days with cost cutting.
            Hi, I really appreciate you looking at my problem. I've taken some photos to give you an idea of what I'm looking at. Let me know any particular section you want me to concentrate on.

What I did notice of the underneath of the power supply board, what looked like a fried/damaged solder section. I've taken a Pic of that, plus the component highlighted.

Could that mean, that component is causing the issue?

tw2005, thanks for the service manual
            Attached Files
            Last edited by TheDragon; 01-18-2015, 11:01 AM.

Comment

...This is due to speaker output has DC voltage or fan is not working.

You mentioned that the fan does turn. Measure DC voltage at every speaker output connector. You should measure 0V. If you measure more than 0V, then there is a fault
              Last edited by Neelix; 01-18-2015, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I already had mentioned that there is small chance being a problem in the power supply. With a multimeter check that double diode for a short first. That diode needs to be resoldered and the area cleaned.

Comment

I already had mentioned that there is small chance being a problem in the power supply. With a multimeter check that double diode for a short first. That diode needs to be resoldered and the area cleaned.
                  As I had the board out anyway, I removed that regulator diode and seems to be working ok. So I applied new paste to heatsink and soldered back in.

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
                  ...This is due to speaker output has DC voltage or fan is not working.

You mentioned that the fan does turn. Measure DC voltage at every speaker output connector. You should measure 0V. If you measure more than 0V, then there is a fault
                  I did a test, after turning on the unit multiple times to, as it shuts down to quickly for me to complete the check. There was approx 0.5-1.5 v on all 5 speaker output channels, which would drop slowly. Now, I'm not sure if there is some of speaker check for voltage to come across during the startup?

Out of curiosity I disconnected the flat cable from the AMP board to main PCB as highlighted in photo. And when I turned on the unit, there was no error and it stayed on. The fan was not working either now. I assume the main PCB reads/and controls the amp via this cable.

My assumption now is that the power supply unit is OK and something is wrong with the amp (I hope i don't sound stupid, with my maybe obvious conclusion).

This territory is beyond me I think, unless there are some basic tests I could do? I have taken out the amp module and cannot find no obvious visible signs of bad solder/fried components.

Thanks guys so far. Any clues for next check?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TheDragon View Post
                    There was approx 0.5-1.5 v on all 5 speaker output channels
                    There should never be DC on the speaker outputs.

If the amp is getting power on both it's + and - DC rails, it is an amplifier problem. Likely shorted transistors which would be inside the modules / ICs it would seem from the pictures.

Strange it is on all of them, so double check to be sure it really has power on both supply rails. If one is missing the output is going to be towards the working rail.

Comment

O.k. power supply is taken care of. Now move to the amp board. There are 2 amplifier IC's. IC5100 and IC5200. Both are C1AB00003260's some 36pin bricks. Page 118, top left, in the service manual, tells you the pin outs. You may have luck and you can try to compare voltages and resistance between the each channel of the 2 bricks. One or both bricks may have weird voltages. If you can figure out which brick is bad and triggering the DC detect, would be great!
                      You can check the output pins of each channel and compare in between them
                      Check pin3 as it is connected to the DC detect as well.
                      At a price of 42$ for a brick each... dunno.
                      Last edited by CapLeaker; 01-18-2015, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drussell View Post
                        There should never be DC on the speaker outputs.

If the amp is getting power on both it's + and - DC rails, it is an amplifier problem. Likely shorted transistors which would be inside the modules / ICs it would seem from the pictures.

Strange it is on all of them, so double check to be sure it really has power on both supply rails. If one is missing the output is going to be towards the working rail.
                        I'm not exactly what you mean on both rails, sorry. I'm not so proficient in electronics. I just connected the meter in dc mode to each of the speaker outputs and got the same readings again.

Oddly, whilst the system was on and stays on (without that flat cable connected). I reinserted that flat cable, the fan then spins up and the system continues to stay on.
                        But once I turn the unit off and try to turn it back on, it calls the same procedure with the same error code.

Comment

There is a positive voltage rail and there is a negative voltage rail to chassis GND.

Comment

There is a positive voltage rail and there is a negative voltage rail to chassis GND.
                            Hi, busy few days. Ok, finally got chance to work on this again.
                            If I understand this correctly. I connected the meter to chassis and then to each of the speaker output points. I get 0v on all points.
                            Sorry for lack of knowledge if this is incorrect procedure.

I had to borrow a meter, as mine was playing up. I had to test that regulator diode again (also referred to as rectifier in the same manual) or dual diode as mentioned here. On one side of the reading I get around .453 and the other side I get .200.
                            Do I assume that this component is fried?

This is the datasheet I found for it, though I'm not 100% sure if its correct, because the symbol on the component itself shows only a single diode, where as the datasheet shows two. Unless that's how they can be? :
                            https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...d3a767a955.pdf

It's seems to be going over my head, though I still want to try.

Comment

Rather desolder the diode from the board and then measure it again. When checking for DC voltage at the speaker outputs, chassis GND should not be used. Start with the output on the left. Connect the red probe of your meter to the top terminal, black probe to the bottom terminal, switch the home theatre on and see if your meter measures any DC voltage. Then move on to the next output and do the same. What CapLeaker was referring to, are the supply voltages for the amplifiers IC5100 and IC5200. When measuring those voltages you must chassis GND

Comment

Rather desolder the diode from the board and then measure it again. When checking for DC voltage at the speaker outputs, chassis GND should not be used. Start with the output on the left. Connect the red probe of your meter to the top terminal, black probe to the bottom terminal, switch the home theatre on and see if your meter measures any DC voltage. Then move on to the next output and do the same. What CapLeaker was referring to, are the supply voltages for the amplifiers IC5100 and IC5200. When measuring those voltages you must chassis GND
                                Thanks. I haven't had time to check the IC's as CapLeaker has advised, it will take longer and a better understanding.

In regards to the diode, those readings I got was when the diode was out of the board. A dud?

I did the speaker DC voltage tests as you described and got as follows.

Constant = 1.284 v (Subwoofer)
                                Constant = 0.039 v (Center)
                                Peak then starts to drop = 1.020 v (Front R)
                                Peak then starts to drop = 1.397 v (Front L)
                                Peak then starts to drop = 1.611 v (Surround R)
                                Peak then starts to drop = 1.643 v (Surround L)

I repeated this three times.

Appreciate the patience

Comment

measure again, diode out of circuit, middle pin black lead, then measure positive lead to the left pin, then to the right pin. Note the values. Then put the positive lead to the middle pin and probe the other 2 pins with the negative lead and post the results.

Comment

Did you measure those voltages at the speaker outputs while the diode was in or out of the board?

Comment

Did you measure those voltages at the speaker outputs while the diode was in or out of the board?
                                      The diode was in for speaker voltage test. I'm know going to take it out again to test as CapLeaker has directed.

Results shortly.

Comment

measure again, diode out of circuit, middle pin black lead, then measure positive lead to the left pin, then to the right pin. Note the values. Then put the positive lead to the middle pin and probe the other 2 pins with the negative lead and post the results.
                                        Middle pin negative

left = 204
                                        right = 419

Middle pin positive

left/right = no value

Comment

Working...
                                        X