Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Teapo capacitor quality

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
    I have. 3300uF 16V 12.5mm Teapo SC read 0.33Ω ESR (was not bulging). But generally, yes the 10mm and 12.5mm ones seem to be more reliable
    That explains why those PSUs with those Teapos still function. The cap has failed, but not catastrophically like most other inferior caps. 0.33 is still relatively reasonable, especially considering that these PSUs are usually in systems that consume only 150 watts, and the PSUs are rated for 300W+.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I have had a lot of boards prior with Teapo caps, from the Socket 7 to Socket A (mainly Epox), and also power supplies, and they all seem fine, including ones I still have now. Of the few cheapo cap companies I'd trust, Teapo is probably one of them. Ost is the other.

Comment

Yeah I really liked my Epox boards they always had some of the cleanest layouts, and yes Teapo's really arent that bad, my antec quattro 850 has all teapos for the secondary and it has no problems powering my rig trouble free.
        My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

My Compaq SR5123WM PC with a 250W Hipro PSU has all Teapo caps, are still good! After 7 years of 24/7 heavy use! I never seen Teapo fail afaik. I consider them at best good. Not great but good.

Comment

Yea I have seen those old 2006'ish PCs still functioning with the Hipro PSUs that have Teapo SEKs... Mind you, I always thought the big Teapo SEKs only lasted because the PCs were lightly used.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

My atari 2600 from the early 80s has a teapo main cap that still kicking the smaller ones were leaking so i put in nichicon,I think teapos are a great value, yeah sometimes they fail but for the most part they seem to be okay. even most sites reviewing power supplies don't seem to mind them, of course they would like to see japanese caps but if you can get a decent under $50 power supply with teapos then your ahead of the game.
              My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorKatz View Post
                I have had a lot of boards prior with Teapo caps, from the Socket 7 to Socket A (mainly Epox), and also power supplies, and they all seem fine, including ones I still have now. Of the few cheapo cap companies I'd trust, Teapo is probably one of them. Ost is the other.
                They are not the worst by far, but I wouldn't 'trust' either of them given the amount of failures I, and others, have seen in both brands.

I personally wouldn't go with anything cheaper than Taicon or Samxon.

If by 'seem fine' they look physically OK and your computer doesn't crash, that doesn't mean much really. You need to check with an ESR meter if you really want to know...
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

It's about Teapos, so a great qestion:

How are those (blackish) SY compared to the (green) SC and (blueish) SZ?
                  Do you have any information about the differences between those three and which of them is the better part?

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post

Do you have any information about the differences between those three and which of them is the better part?
                    You might as well be comparing a three day old rotten egg to a three month old rotten egg. Once you break them open, a rotten egg is a rotten egg. Teapo is a crap brand, always was and will be period.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post

SZ series were more often found on motherboards. They are a very low ESR series, like Nichicon HM and NCC KZG. I can't think I've ever seen one that hadn't failed. I'd class them as a 4th tier cap - right down there with GSC/Sacon.

SY and SC are higher ESR series, and are similar to each other in terms of quality IMO. Sometimes they hold up OK, other times they fail after only a few years - kind of like OST and LTEC.
                      Last edited by c_hegge; 07-09-2014, 01:22 AM.
                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

^
                        I kind of agree...
                        Teapo should be used for lower temperature and stress applications.
                        In my experience, I never seen Teapo fail on power supplies. BUT they were usually well built (HIPRO or some FSP models). I saw hundreds of bad Fuhjyyu caps and a few bad LTEC and OST caps. The Teapo caps were also tested on a ESR meter..

So that means...
                        - Teapo will last in lower temperature and stress applications.
                        - LTEC and OST are worse than Teapo
                        - Fuhjyyu is right on the bottom with knock-off brands.

You may disagree with me but that is MY experience.
                        Last edited by pc7fan; 07-09-2014, 05:40 AM. Reason: forgot something to add

Comment

LTEC are definitely worse than Teapo.

Ost caps are not very far from Teapo.

And Fuhjyyu / JunFu are better than Capxon.

Comment

I've seen a ton of PSU's and I honestly think OST is quite a bit better than Teapo and Ltec. I'd put Ltec and Teapo in the same category. I'm going off of experience pulling and testing their ESR/Capacitance not just looking at them to see if they are bulging or not. Fuhjyyu is garbage all around, that's for sure

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                              SZ series were more often found on motherboards. They are a very low ESR series, like Nichicon HM and NCC KZG. I can't think I've ever seen one that hadn't failed. I'd class them as a 4th tier cap - right down there with GSC/Sacon.
                              Are you sure about Teapo SZ? I seem to remember them lasting pretty good. HP used them in their old P4 towers and I think they hold up OK IIRC. I don't think they were on the VRM though.

Comment

I think those were SM series (not they they were much better). I had a dx5150, with them, and every last one was bad - http://hardwareinsights.com/wp/poly-...tually-work/3/. The machine worked fine after polymodding, though.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by pc7fan View Post
                                  In my experience, I never seen Teapo fail on power supplies. BUT they were usually well built (HIPRO or some FSP models).
                                  I've seen failed Teapo in a Hipro, actually. It was a 500W model (can't remember which), and the +5VSB rail stopped working after about a year. I opened it up, and found several bulged Teapo caps. The previous power supply in that computer (a Lite-On 300W) also had bad Teapo caps in it.

On the other hand, I used to have an FSP-built OCZ 700 watt power supply with Teapos, and they held up fine for the 2ish years I used the thing.

I've also seen an Astec 200W power supply from 1996ish that had Nichicon caps, which were all fine, of course. I used that thing for a few months to replace a Huntkey-built 350W power supply (the third power supply in that computer that I mentioned above), until I got my hands on a Seasonic S12II Bronze 520W. That one has a Rubycon primary cap, and all of the others are Chemi-Con. It then got a Seasonic S12II Bronze 380W (all Chemi-con) in it so that I could have the 520W for a different computer. That computer finally died a few weeks ago from motherboard failure (the Super I/O chip vaporized a lead. It was running, but SpeedFan was using 100% CPU and not responding. I tried rebooting it, and it failed to POST). The S12II Bronze-380 then went into an almost-identical computer (replacing a still-working 350W Hipro), which is now working as a "multi-server" (NAS, gateway, some databases, HTTP, DHCP, etc.) for my network.
                                  Last edited by cheapie; 07-09-2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                    I think those were SM series (not they they were much better). I had a dx5150, with them, and every last one was bad - http://hardwareinsights.com/wp/poly-...tually-work/3/. The machine worked fine after polymodding, though.
                                    I'll have to try to remember to double-check those HP Towers and post back with more details. I'm sure there were Teapos in there and most of the towers work fine... The thing is, these towers were refurbished, so the refurbisher is effectively "binning" the good Teapos by discarding those system with bulged caps and re-selling the ones that are still working, so the sampling is biased.

cheapie -

Last night I re-capped a FSP 350-THN. The PSU was working, but the customer brought it in a second time, and the problem was Windows Profile corruption again caused by file system corruption. I thought a dirty +12 or +5 supply might have caused crashes that forced them to shut down improperly. I don't know for sure because I have no way of testing the caps.

They were 10mm Teapo SC, 4700uF and 3300uF and one SEK 35V 1000uF. I replaced all of them with Samxon RS and it worked great. Oddly enough this 2009-dated FSP had a couple of small Rubycon YXFs in the primary. One day I'd like to test all my 10mm Teapo SC and see how they really held up.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                      Last night I re-capped a FSP 350-THN. The PSU was working, but the customer brought it in a second time, and the problem was Windows Profile corruption again caused by file system corruption. I thought a dirty +12 or +5 supply might have caused crashes that forced them to shut down improperly. I don't know for sure because I have no way of testing the caps.
                                      I have seen such problems caused by faulty HDD or RAM too.
                                      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Hey Mockingbird I got my 2200uf 16v TEAPO SCs in the mail, I put them in my CWT XCLIO GOODPOWER and now its running like a champ. It feels really great to put OEM geniune TEAPO in a power supply that came with them, now I can be assure of the quality.

Comment

^
                                          Your 'assurance' is baseless. If it killed the last set of teapos, it's gonna kill your replacements.

Comment

Working...
                                          X