Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Elitebook 8440p flashes led 9 times

Hello everyone.
    I have this Elitebook which when I press power button it flashes its charging led 9 times and does nothing else..
    I have it connected to my lab power supply and it draws only 5-6 mA..
    The net is full with people with the same problem, but don't see any real solution .
    The schematics is here:
    https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...44e037c6e5.pdf if it is any help.

Thank you.

Re: HP Elitebook 8440p flashes led 9 times

did you use a 6-8 amp original HP charger?
    Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Yes,it was brought to my with the original charger,the one that it was working from the begining..
      After that I power it up with my power supply so I can measure its current consumption.It behaves exactly the same on both cases.

Comment

what voltage you have on the pin from adapter even the middle pin.

Comment

It was the charger to blame after all..It was defective( dj_ricoh mentioned that but I didn't realise it had a problem)
          It didn't have any voltage(or whatever control signal) in center pin and the laptop looked like it had a bigger problem but it didn't.
          I just short circuited the central pin with the + and it is working fine now.
          The only problem is that the battery charges very slowly(at 200mA) but I guess it will need original charger for that to be fixed..
          Last edited by Joun; 05-13-2015, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Nice fix.
            I like those notebook.
            I got a envy m6 for 100£ it had bad hdd.

Comment

dear DJ
              hp 8440p intel
              how to fix this error
              Module error not functional
              CAPS & NUM 3 time blink
              i programmed bios but still same
              plz help
              Last edited by nimmay; 12-22-2016, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
                did you use a 6-8 amp original HP charger?
                Thank you bro

Comment

Originally posted by Joun View Post
                  It was the charger to blame after all..It was defective( dj_ricoh mentioned that but I didn't realise it had a problem)
                  It didn't have any voltage(or whatever control signal) in center pin and the laptop looked like it had a bigger problem but it didn't.
                  I just short circuited the central pin with the + and it is working fine now.
                  The only problem is that the battery charges very slowly(at 200mA) but I guess it will need original charger for that to be fixed..
                  Holy sheet, that worked! I have a Dell charger (19,5V, 4,62A), with the same middle-pin arrangement, that works perfectly well with an old HP/Compaq TC4400 (the tablet-PC). I got the 9 orange blinks on THREE DIFFERENT LAPTOPS and finally tried your short-center-to-plus, and am currently starting up, charging battery, and running memtest on the first one. GREAT solution! *thumbs-up*

Comment

That sounds like a very bad advice.
                    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by Snout View Post
                      Holy sheet, that worked! I have a Dell charger (19,5V, 4,62A), with the same middle-pin arrangement, that works perfectly well with an old HP/Compaq TC4400 (the tablet-PC). I got the 9 orange blinks on THREE DIFFERENT LAPTOPS and finally tried your short-center-to-plus, and am currently starting up, charging battery, and running memtest on the first one. GREAT solution! *thumbs-up*
                      Well, that middle pin in Dell chargers is not an analog signal (just a voltage value) like on HP but onewire digital signal. Shorting that pin to plus might kill your ID IC so you are unable to use that charger to charge a Dell laptop.

Just get a working HP charger.

Comment

I wonder why kbc didnt fried with this arrangement. Horrible advice.

Comment

Originally posted by RethoricalCheese View Post
                          Well, that middle pin in Dell chargers is not an analog signal (just a voltage value) like on HP but onewire digital signal. Shorting that pin to plus might kill your ID IC so you are unable to use that charger to charge a Dell laptop.

Just get a working HP charger.

Yeah, a 1-wire chip like in Dell, HP,. and Macbook chargers, I'm aware of that, but had a spare old laptop to 'sacrifice' just to try it. I wouldn't advise this for _any_ machine, just saying it worked for me with a generic charger aswell, and the Elitebooks in question in particular. ... So, yes, there should be a warning attached 'try this at your own risk, you're likely to kill something in the lappy'.

Me, I'm just glad to have those extra three machines running without buying yet another 'reports genuine through a special line' power supply.

Comment

HP don't use 1-wire. HP use a resistor between +19V and center pin. Bridging center pin to +19V means you send 19V directly trough the AD_ID line. There's a clamping diode, so the excess power gets sinked into the 3.3V rail, through the series resistor on the AD_ID line. On the other side is the EC. Many things can go wrong there… It also means the laptop will always think you're using the higher power AC adapter, even when using a 45W on a machine that requires 180W.
                            And as RethoricalCheese said, that will kill the 1-wire ROM inside the Dell brick as it expects 3.3V, not 19V.

More than a warning, it must be an absolute prohibition like "never try this things will go wrong".
                            OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Working...
                            X