X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Ia orana (means Hello from Tahiti),

46 years old white tahitian , found this quite interesting site after some research for trying to fix my old Viewsonic Vx2835wm lcd monitor.

Not very familiar with technical terms but try to understand (tahitian is my 1st language then french).

Thanks for this site and forum that help people around with their issues

Comment

Hello,Badcaps.I am a late twenties guy with a passion for repairing and modding things that most people toss.Been in it for about fifteen years and still not dead yet.Most of my info is from numerous trial and error,mostly error.Gotta start somewhere.
      I mainly tinker with rear projection tvs{mostly convergence problems}and home stereo amps.Also like to call myself a general handyman,I will try anything once and usually dont come out too bad in the end.
      I also like to check local library and net for solutions.Thats mainly why Im here.Looking for some help amd will try to give it in return.Thank you to all here in advance.

Comment

Hi,Badcaps.I was told about this site by passenger in my taxi.
        Was telling him about laptop freezing when inserting a/c lead and he said it sounded like bad caps.
        Looking forward to finding out more (basic soldering skills)
        Ty All .

Comment

Hello, found a 22" LG Monitor in the trash and I'm trying to repair it now, found this website, looks promising.

Comment

Hello to all you recaps.

I'm samcan. That's what my wife says when something around the house needs made right. I try and succeed most times and this site will definitely help.

Delighted to have found this site while trying to repair my daughters Gateway monitor. It has the dreaded black screen.

I hope to learn and possible repair a few things.

Comment

allsmith

Hey! allsmith here,hope everybody is doing good!! Looking foreword to meeting you all!! Ive been in the autobody repair /refinishing business for 24 yrs, but im always into other hobbies such as mechanics,dirtbikes,motocross,small engine repair,metal detecting ,aquariums,building trades ,electrical ,heating,antiques,vintage audio,music,playing guitar,woodworking.I love learning new things and my passion as of late has been electonics,mostly vintage audio receiver repair/restoration/recapping!! Im new to electronics and trying to learn everything i can! A friend of mine has now got me into fixing some lcd tvs,so now im here in hopes that you all can help me out a bit,I would really appreciate it!!!Thanks all in advance for your expertise!!!

Comment

hi guys im new here hope you can help me out and share some guides

Comment

can i say hello like a normal person? - 007

I'm computer technician and i have little knowledge on electronics and i hope i can share and learn something especially on motherboard problems. Thanks! See ya around.

Comment

Hello Badcaps members.

I´m a new member and i whant to take some notes and share to.

Good post´s and shares.

Comment

Hello from Ohio! Just a cheap tinkerer who likes to repair things instead of throwing them away.

Comment

After finding some useful data on this site in the past I have finally registered as blown monitors seem to keep finding me; you will always have friends when they know you can fix their blown monitors.
                        I got my first soldering iron in 1958 and haven't stopped repairing things ever since. After a short time in military electronics testing moved into geophysics then geology before returning to electronics in the form of component distribution. Soon found that product failures come from bad management rather than bad components and moved into management systems working across Europe in various technologies.
                        Now semi-retired but still helping small companies implement effective management systems, auditing environmental compliance for various organisations and running a small beekeeping business that grew out of a hobby.
                        With 4 monitors repaired to date and another 2 dismantled on the bench awaiting delivery of replacement caps repairing old equipment has turned into yet another hobby. Currently running an old P4 server operating on Linux with various salvaged components including rebuilt monitors.
                        This forum has to be the best by far for those of us who are committed to reducing our environmental impact by recycling equipment for as long as possible; long may it continue.

Comment

Hello, im new to the forum. My name is Matt and im from Ohio. I joined this forum to help and with a couple questions of my own.

Comment

Hello everybody,

I had several bad capacitors next to P4 on my Asus P4B motherboard. Ten years ago I custom assembled this computer with various parts and a very nice good-sized and well-ventilated Lian Li aluminum case for my son to play his beloved computer games. Needless to say that I have spend countless hours with my son on this computer to research software problems to run certain games, migrate the system from 98 to XP to Windows 7, Upgrade hard drive to solid state drive by using SATA to IDE-ATAPI converter, upgrade the vintage sound, display, network connector to be compatible with Windows 7, etc. Now my son went to college (he has labtop and netbook anyway so he is not missing this computer at all) and I became the only user of this computer. Due to sentimental reasons I want to stick with this computer forever. I am not a gamer and I only use computer to browse internet, shopping, or do listings on ebay, the modern powerful computer will not accomplish much more than what this computer can do for me. So I would rather fix or upgrade parts (cheaply!) to this computer to keep it going.

Now back to this bad cap problem. These 6 or 7 bad caps have markings 3300uF 6.3V and HM(M) on them, so I guess they are Nichicon HM capacitors. The Asus motherboard was bought at December 2002. It is astonishing the caps have last this long – but we never over-clocked computers and this is a very well ventilated aluminum case – that may help explains it.

Please kindly help me with this question : Can I replace these bad caps with Sanyo WG 3300uF 6.3V ?

Another question : should I also consider replace these bad caps with newer polymer caps ? as I can see within a few years these aluminum electrolytic capacitors will probably become dinosaurs – then where will I ever find aluminum electrolytic capacitors if the need to replace bad caps rise again. If replacing with Polymer caps is feasible, then, what brand and type of Polymer capacitors is best fit for replacing these bad caps ?
                            Thank you for the help.

david

Comment

hope this is right...but hello i'm Z.After my 22"LG monitor would not turn on i had to dive into the world of bad caps.i can honestly say i enjoyed fixing the monitor and now i have started fixing other peoples LCD's,monitors, etc....

Comment

Hello Everybody.

Comment

thank you all, hope to learn alot

Comment

I'm Blind2Reply - new to the forum - found it while trying to fix a "non starting" Dell Inspiron. Am an EE - but that was years ago (you were all puppies back then). Heck, I remember changing tubes in B&W tvs!

I've already found some good stuff - thanks for being here to help all...

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your help! I see a path to fix my Samsung DTBH260F.

Best regards,

Comment

My name is Robert and I'm a retired EE. I have a modest shop at home where I work on the occasional Apple computer. I am mostly a hardware guy going back before the advent of surface mounted components. Believe it or not, my first computer was a Heathkit. Like many people on this forum, I have struggled with iMac G5 computers with capacitor issues and power supply problems.

Comment

hello, i'm a regular electronics hobbyist and like to modify or fix some of the hardware i get my hands on, usually monitors, pc parts, gaming consoles and so on..
                                          My latest stroll took me to build a diy bga soldering station (hot air only, not ir yet) and perfecting my smd soldering technique.

Comment

Working...
                                          X