No announcement yet.

Asrock Z77 Extreme4 dead?? Maybe not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 dead?? Maybe not?

Originally posted by Uazzamerican View Post
    Thank you for the help.

Actually I see onboard only two 1117 regulators (both visible on the image uploaded).
    How comes the readings are ok if they are different from one regulator to another?
    The two regulators could (and likely do) have different resistor values for the adjust resistors. Also the way they are connected in the circuit and what they power could also have different static resistances (i.e. resistance when system is powered off).

Second, how can I check the resistance on the 000 smd? (Sorry... Treat me like a child please...)
    Put one probe of your multimeter on one end/lead of that resistor and the other probe on the other end/lead of the resistor. A zero-Ohm resistor like that (i.e. "000", "0") should show whatever is the lowest resistance that your multimeter can show when your hold both probes connected on the lowest resistance scale. So if you connect your probes together on the lowest resistance scale and you get, say, 1.3 Ohms - then that's the lowest resistance your multimeter can measure and that 1.3 Ohms can pretty much be considered a short circuit.

Originally posted by Uazzamerican
    Ok I think I did the measurement you required.
    Putting the red probe on the tab and the black probe on one end (or the other) of the 000 resistor, I obtain 475ohm.
    The same if I invert the probes.
    That suggests that the "000" resistor is not connected to the output (tab) of the 1117 regulator. You should get something more like 0-3 Ohms (i.e. whatever is the lowest your multimeter can measure).

The reading you got might suggest it is connected to the input of the regulator, though. See if you get a short-circuit resistance to pin 3 (input) of the 1117 regulator.

Originally posted by Uazzamerican
    Did I made a correct resistance measurement?

That said, the trace clearly goes from the tab to the capacitor and from the capacitor to the resistor as far as I can see (you can see on the image as well).
    Sometimes, what seems like a clear path for a trace to be going may not be the case. Yes, it looks like the "000" resistor is connected to the output of the cap, but maybe underneath the cap, it stops and goes through a via to some other layer. So in cases like that, you just have to rely on your multimeter to guide you and if necessary, also remove the cap to see what is going on under it.

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
    i don't see the problem in capacitors , but without schema , you know how difficult to guess ...
    I agree. This doesn't look like a cap issue indeed.

I was hoping that removing the "000" resistor would isolate the 1117 regulator and its filter cap from the rest of the circuit. But given the resistance measurements by the O/P, I guess that probably won't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      The two regulators could (and likely do) have different resistor values for the adjust resistors. Also the way they are connected in the circuit and what they power could also have different static resistances (i.e. resistance when system is powered off).

Put one probe of your multimeter on one end/lead of that resistor and the other probe on the other end/lead of the resistor. A zero-Ohm resistor like that (i.e. "000", "0") should show whatever is the lowest resistance that your multimeter can show when your hold both probes connected on the lowest resistance scale. So if you connect your probes together on the lowest resistance scale and you get, say, 1.3 Ohms - then that's the lowest resistance your multimeter can measure and that 1.3 Ohms can pretty much be considered a short circuit.

That suggests that the "000" resistor is not connected to the output (tab) of the 1117 regulator. You should get something more like 0-3 Ohms (i.e. whatever is the lowest your multimeter can measure).

The reading you got might suggest it is connected to the input of the regulator, though. See if you get a short-circuit resistance to pin 3 (input) of the 1117 regulator.

Sometimes, what seems like a clear path for a trace to be going may not be the case. Yes, it looks like the "000" resistor is connected to the output of the cap, but maybe underneath the cap, it stops and goes through a via to some other layer. So in cases like that, you just have to rely on your multimeter to guide you and if necessary, also remove the cap to see what is going on under it.

I agree. This doesn't look like a cap issue indeed.

I was hoping that removing the "000" resistor would isolate the 1117 regulator and its filter cap from the rest of the circuit. But given the resistance measurements by the O/P, I guess that probably won't happen.

Ok I measured the pin3 also.
      I get "1" , so no reading, whatever scale I use.

Just a note, I have a reading of around 300 on pin1.

I really don't know how to move, I was hoping to go to the technician saying him to change this or that smd/capacitor, because no one here will ever try to fix this motherboard without asking more than the price of the motherboard herself.
      Last edited by Uazzamerican; 02-02-2017, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Hi again,

I found a guy who "reverse engineered" an electrical scheme of an Asrock H97.
        It uses a volt regulator 1117 in the exact position as mine, maybe the function is the same as well as the scheme.

Do you think this can be helpful to troubleshoot my motherboard?

Find it attached, it is at section (13) 3.3 VSB Supply (PCH/LAN)

And here:

http://www.edaboard.com/thread161775.html

it says that the 1117 is used often to lower 5V standby power to 3V for the southbridge/chipset. Could it be that the 1117 is not perfect and it prevents the system to power on?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Uazzamerican; 02-05-2017, 03:43 AM.

Comment

According to the schema , q810 is an adjustable regulator , with a nominated output of 3.3 volts derived from the 5vsb which you can test also . Test the v.output for 3.3 volts if it's there .

Comment

Hi!
            I just tested (I think...) the voltage regulator, following the guide on this forum.

I used as ground, a space for motherboard screw (plated).

Here the data:

First line: 1117
            Second: 21601k
            1) 1,42
            2) 2,23
            3) 4,88

Now, from the guide the second reading value should be the first plus 1.25v
            It is not, so the regulator is bad and should be changed. Right?

What you suggest me to test?
            Don't know if you mean this, but I did it.
            It appears that the 1117 is taking 4,88v and outputting 2,23v.
            Could this be the problem?
            Not enough volts in output?

Comment

Don't know if you mean this, but I did it.
              It appears that the 1117 is taking 4,88v and outputting 2,23v.
              Could this be the problem?
              Not enough volts in output?
              No . Not enough volts in output , but the Ld1117 isn't faulty , and neither the capacitor , and yet , if you later find the real culprit , better change new the whole bunch .
              Something ahead is backfiring on both making drop voltage on the 1117 and heating the capacitor . Since this 5vsb rail is here supplying the lan , and specifically the WOL , then the most probably , a component there is going out of range , like a resistor , a diode or even the RT there whatever it is ..

Comment

No . Not enough volts in output , but the Ld1117 isn't faulty , and neither the capacitor , and yet , if you later find the real culprit , better change new the whole bunch .
                Something ahead is backfiring on both making drop voltage on the 1117 and heating the capacitor . Since this 5vsb rail is here supplying the lan , and specifically the WOL , then the most probably , a component there is going out of range , like a resistor , a diode or even the RT there whatever it is ..
                So I should look at a component close to the 1117 group (one on the image uploaded) or the culprit could be something far?

I need at least a specific place to test, the motherboard is too complex to make tests everywhere.

Thank you for your support.

Comment

So I should look at a component close to the 1117 group (one on the image uploaded) or the culprit could be something far?

I need at least a specific place to test, the motherboard is too complex to make tests everywhere.

Thank you for your support.
                  The Network section is where the culprit is , there where you should check , including the Network controller chipset . You know this schema isn't complete , just some ICs references , so you'll have to follow the circuit traces and where the LD1117 voltage goes through .

Comment

Good point.

*If* the LAN/Ethernet controller is powered by the output of that 1117 regulator and the Ethernet controller is bad (which can happen fairly often when long Ethernet wires are used and there is a thunderstorm and power surges), it can have excessive current draw and pull down the voltage the way you see it now.

So see if the Ethernet controller chip on the board gets hot too. If it does, it's probably toast and needs to be removed from the board. And if it doesn't get hot, it can still be bad and pulling too much current from the standby rails. But before removing it in that case, first check if you get any voltage on its Vcc pins (should be about the same voltage as the output of that 1117 regulator). To find which pins are the Vcc on the Ethernet controller, you need to find a datasheet for it online by searching its part number (if you have trouble with that, post the number it here, and we can try to help you with that). Alternatively, you can try to find if the Ethernet controller is connected to the output of that 1117 regulator by checking for low resistance / continuity with your multimeter (but again, if you do that, make sure it is done with the power supply OFF and disconnected from the wall.)
                    Last edited by momaka; 02-08-2017, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                      Good point.

*If* the LAN/Ethernet controller is powered by the output of that 1117 regulator and the Ethernet controller is bad (which can happen fairly often when long Ethernet wires are used and there is a thunderstorm and power surges), it can have excessive current draw and pull down the voltage the way you see it now.

So see if the Ethernet controller chip on the board gets hot too. If it does, it's probably toast and needs to be removed from the board. And if it doesn't get hot, it can still be bad and pulling too much current from the standby rails. But before removing it in that case, first check if you get any voltage on its Vcc pins (should be about the same voltage as the output of that 1117 regulator). To find which pins are the Vcc on the Ethernet controller, you need to find a datasheet for it online by searching its part number (if you have trouble with that, post the number it here, and we can try to help you with that). Alternatively, you can try to find if the Ethernet controller is connected to the output of that 1117 regulator by checking for low resistance / continuity with your multimeter (but again, if you do that, make sure it is done with the power supply OFF and disconnected from the wall.)
                      Nicely put Momaka ; With a little luck and patience , he can succeed ..

Comment

Hi all...
                        After attempting (with no success) to repair a Maximus IV Extreme, I am now trying to fix an apparently broken Asrock z77 Extreme4.
                        The board seems really perfect, nothing to report.
                        Except that it is dead.
                        No beeps, no lights, no fan. Only thing it's on is the led on keyboard.

After a full inspection I found that a gold cap near the internal power button gets extremely hot when I power on the PSU.

Maybe the problem is the cap? Se the attachment.

It says "LF 560 j 25C" on it.

I don't see damages on it. It only gets hot (it hurts to touch in few seconds).

hi Uazzamerican, aim from venezuela, this IC 1117 21601k, what voltage this is? 1.2v, 2.5 , 2.85, 3.3, 5 or adj.? my 1117 is in short circuit, all pins measure whit gnd and ic very hot. i want buy, bot not know, what significate 21601k, please help me, and sorry for my inglish write.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                          The 1117 is a linear regulator, and it's most likely adjustable as you can see the resistors required to set the output voltage below the chip.
                          As for being hot ... it could be hot for several reasons.. it could be faulty, or something could pull so much current that the regulator is in short circuit protection or over temperature protection all the time.
                          Check the input and output voltage of the 1117 regulator with a multimeter and see what's going on there.
                          hi mariushm, this IC 1117 21601k, what voltage this is? 1.2v, 2.5 , 2.85, 3.3, 5 or adj.? my 1117 is in short circuit, all pins measure whit gnd and ic very hot. i want buy, bot not know, what significate 21601k, please help me, and sorry for my inglish write.

Comment

friends, I have managed to fix my mother board, the problem lay in an ic, with the number 1117 21601k, which is an adjustable voltage circuit. It was very hot, replace it and I had no luck, I continued legend and note that this feeds the integrated network of the motherboard, remove the integrated to disable the network, and when removing it, the integrated 1117 did not heat, since surely the integrated network was short, and gave me access, and I was able to rescue my motherboard, thanks guys for your support.

Comment

Great to hear you got it working. Looks like it was the LAN chip that was bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X