Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2017, 01:11 AM   #1641
jiroy
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Beirut
My Country: Lebanon
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Got one HP Laserjet 4100n for free , from a customer company's friend . They said it was 1200 $ new and still working , but they opted for changing the whole stuff in the company .
I have not less than 20 printers around , so i'm gonna put this one on local networks and we'll see what this baby can get .
jiroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:21 AM   #1642
mikay786
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Leeds
My Country: UK

Got another Black Wii with 4 controllers, 2 x motion plus attachments + 6 games and some accessories for 17.50

Hitachi VT-14E VHS Player Top loader. 5

Technics SU-Z11 Integrated Amplifier, matching tape deck and tuner along with some Technics 3030 speakers all for 6

There was a record player that went with it but someone got to it first.
mikay786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:16 AM   #1643
Dan81
BOOYAH!

City & State: Romania
My Country: Bacau
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

I got another fat PS2. It's a PAL 30004R, version 5. It's been clearly opened before, since when I got to the bare motherboard to clean I found out someone desoldered the modchip out of it (this isn't the same as my previous PAL 30004R that is chipped).
Funny thing, this actually came with a silver controller instead of black.

I'll decide if I rip the old chip on the other 30004R and replace it with a Modbo or actually do this one, since the points are already tinned, just a matter of soldering the wires.
Gigabyte GA-MA770-US3, AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz, Sapphire Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3, 4GB DDR2-800, LiteOn DVD-RW drive, Seasonic SS-351HT 350W, AVerMedia Super 009 TV tuner, Samsung HD103SI 1TB, Delux MT375 case

Second rig:
ASUS K8N4-E, AMD Sempron 2800+, Manli Geforce 7300LE 256MB, 1GB DDR400, H-L DVD-RW, Pixelview TV Tuner, 80GB WDC HDD (IDE), Deer DR-A300ATX 300W, JNC RJA-52 case
Dan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:27 PM   #1644
Th3_uN1Qu3
Believe in

City & State: Bucharest
My Country: Romania
I'm a: Professional Tech

Picked up a Canon MF5630 multifunction b/w laser printer off the curb last Monday, saved it from the rain. Still working on it, will post a thread about it.
A working TV? How boring!
Th3_uN1Qu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:12 PM   #1645
Curious.George

HP TouchSmart AIO missing a (external) power supply. Of course, I happen to have a few of them as spares...
<https://support.hp.com/hk-en/document/c03043829>

No idea what I'll do with it...
Curious.George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:34 AM   #1646
Dan81
BOOYAH!

Got this for free yesterday:

Epox EP-7KXA Slot A motherboard - had bad GSC and Yageo/Tayeh caps on it. Replaced with Rubycon MBZ,OST and one Sanyo WG - way better considering how old these caps were.
AMD Athlon 750MHz SLOT CPU
256MB PC133 RAM
Quantum Fireball LCT15/QML15000LC-A 15GB IDE HDD
JNC LC-B350ATX PSU (the most gutless variant) that surprisingly doesn't have any bad cap
Intel PRO 100 NIC.

Runs Windows XP SP2 (at least that's what I found on the HDD) but I'm planning to install either 98SE or 2000.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:43 AM   #1647
Dan81
BOOYAH!

I got an Gigabyte GA-7DXE motherboard (Socket A, AMD761 chipset) that has a dead RAM slot and a Pixelview PV-TV304P+ TV tuner. I can only say this - god, Conexant chipsets suck.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:24 AM   #1648
jiroy
Badcaps Veteran

Last week , lot of Free but somehow outdated stuff , but not bad anyway . In our business expect the unexpected . Like that customer , owner of an industrial printer , working on ISA lans exclusively , lol . Well , i sold him two old boards equipped with ISA slots for 100$ . He was more than happy .

- One HP Compaq NX7010 , excellent shape and condition .
- One HP EvoN1010 , bad shape and condition .
- One complete Dual core desktop .
- Three HP Adapters 19v. .
- Two Nokias (X3 and C3) .
- One Star Mpeg5 Dvd player 560 .
- One Sony FH-L400 Mini-Stereo .
Old 09-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #1649
mikay786
Badcaps Veteran

Not so busy yesterday but managed to buy some reasonable stuff

Maranta CD-65 Special Edition
JVC RX-501 Stereo Amplifier
Jamo Cornet 40 IV speakers

All of above 20, CD player works not tested other stuff yet

PS3 Fat - YLOD 7.50 - probably not worth it but had anti tamper sticker still on it so took a punt. Not sure if repairable.

SegaMega Drive 16bit + games and two pads - 15 (again a bit much, on a good day no more than a fiver)
Old 09-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #1650
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiroy View Post
Last week , lot of Free but somehow outdated stuff , but not bad anyway . In our business expect the unexpected . Like that customer , owner of an industrial printer , working on ISA lans exclusively , lol . Well , i sold him two old boards equipped with ISA slots for 100$ . He was more than happy .
Oh man, I wish there was a way to save this one Pentium 3 PC back at work. It had an Epox motherboard with socket 370 if I remember correctly and several ISA slots. From what I've heard, anything Pentium 3 or more recent with ISA goes for a lot of money, as they are not easy to come by.

But while I wasn't able to take that computer with me (due to company rules), I was able to stash it away in the shop. If lucky, no one has seen it yet, and maybe if I go work there again, I'll see if I can ask one of the bosses to take it or figure another way. The whole computer itself was too cool to just dump it in the recycle bin - the case itself weight a ton. And the thing even had an HP CD writer in there - one of the first CD-RW drives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiroy View Post
- One HP Compaq NX7010 , excellent shape and condition .
- One HP EvoN1010 , bad shape and condition .
- One complete Dual core desktop .
- Three HP Adapters 19v. .
- Two Nokias (X3 and C3) .
- One Star Mpeg5 Dvd player 560 .
- One Sony FH-L400 Mini-Stereo .
That's not a bad score at all. Those older laptops may not be worth much, but they are pretty dependable as a shop computer to look up schematics or do similar simple work on it. Heck, it's even fine as a media player device.

The Sony mini-stereo system above may be okay, as it is a Sony. But a lot of those "compact" stereo systems from the late 80's up until the late 90's were not so great. I think the term "plastic-fantastic" fits them well. My sister had a Sharp CMS-R4000CDH, and it was a pretty average system. The speakers weren't that bad (properly rated for 10 Watts RMS and 30 Watts peak), but the tape deck was hardly ideal and the CD player was finicky at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikay786 View Post
Maranta CD-65 Special Edition
JVC RX-501 Stereo Amplifier
Jamo Cornet 40 IV speakers

All of above 20, CD player works not tested other stuff yet
Not bad. Decent vintage stereo gear is always worthwhile getting or at least playing with for a while.

On that note, I bought a Marantz SD4000 cassette deck on eBay for about $30 shipped to my house (deck was actually $10, IIRC). It needed a few minor repairs, adjustments, and cleaning. But overall it came working. Now you can't find that tape deck or any of its lower and higher-end siblings for less than $40 - and that's for an "AS-IS" condition deck. Working and tested seem to go for more than $100. So looks like I got lucky and made a decent investment with mine. It works beautifully. I think someone was in there before me and replaced the belts, so that's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikay786 View Post
PS3 Fat - YLOD 7.50 - probably not worth it but had anti tamper sticker still on it so took a punt. Not sure if repairable.
Should be. They typically have problems either with the NEC/Tokin caps or the BGA on the GPU, and if you are lucky, sometimes just the thermal paste between the GPU and heat spreader.

I would start by replacing the NEC/Tokin caps, though. At least there is no danger with messing it up with that. And if that doesn't work, then try a reflow.

Last edited by momaka; 09-11-2017 at 08:52 PM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:48 AM   #1651
jiroy
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
Oh man, I wish there was a way to save this one Pentium 3 PC back at work. It had an Epox motherboard with socket 370 if I remember correctly and several ISA slots. From what I've heard, anything Pentium 3 or more recent with ISA goes for a lot of money, as they are not easy to come by.

Frankly , I was keeping those boards for Antics , yes , this is a really growing market today Momaka; I'm starting even collecting the old windows licences , removing them carefully from old desktops and laptops with a hair dryer and packing them up like stamps , lol . I have right now like 200 ones .
ISA is today a rarity , but this customer , well he played it Emotions , lol , saying he swapped the whole Lebanon for an ISA board , to no avail , so a Pentium 1 board with 5 ISA slots waved goodbye ..

Quote:
But while I wasn't able to take that computer with me (due to company rules), I was able to stash it away in the shop. If lucky, no one has seen it yet, and maybe if I go work there again, I'll see if I can ask one of the bosses to take it or figure another way. The whole computer itself was too cool to just dump it in the recycle bin - the case itself weight a ton. And the thing even had an HP CD writer in there - one of the first CD-RW drives!
If it ain't used , i think they'll be gladly happy to let you ship it . Once a company asked me if i can take some unwanted stuff . The messenger was a tiny girl , which i didn't take seriously , lol , but i ended up with a full pick-up of desktops and printers .

Quote:

That's not a bad score at all. Those older laptops may not be worth much, but they are pretty dependable as a shop computer to look up schematics or do similar simple work on it. Heck, it's even fine as a media player device.
Right now , Anything that can install Win7 64 bits , 2 , 3 or 4 GB of rams , and maybe an SSD if had the lion's teeth , is still worth over 150$ , something very good for a slowing business or a poor customer .
There are always collateral damages , lol . The Dual core came with a Wireless card D-LINK and a digital TV , kworld VS.PVR.7133 , 2 x 2 GB ddr2 , So yes , anything in our business is worth something .

Quote:

The Sony mini-stereo system above may be okay, as it is a Sony. But a lot of those "compact" stereo systems from the late 80's up until the late 90's were not so great. I think the term "plastic-fantastic" fits them well. My sister had a Sharp CMS-R4000CDH, and it was a pretty average system. The speakers weren't that bad (properly rated for 10 Watts RMS and 30 Watts peak), but the tape deck was hardly ideal and the CD player was finicky at best.
This Sony was checked open yesterday , and surprisingly , it's equipped with a big chocolate , lol , that's what i call em , the STK4122 II , 30 watts , so yes , it is worth something .
Nothing faulty , except as usual , the melting belts , probably left in the sun on some balcony . I fixed them all .
What i didn't understand , why Sony is bluffing in this Model , the HF-L400 . A cd button exist on the front panel , but there is no cd , lol .
Old 09-12-2017, 11:13 PM   #1652
Dan81
BOOYAH!

I got MORE PS2s this week. One is a silver 50004, version 9. It has the Romeo mod done, along with some alien-origins green modchip made with Macrovision in mind. The laser is dud though, but that's to be expected from a god-knows-how-old HD7 that I swapped in at a point. It came with about 45-46 games, except they were ALL on DVD-Rs or +Rs. I might hunt down a laser and a new chip for it (Modbo 750, I got one cheap and it does wonders).

The other one is a slim 79003a, version 17a (most likely). This one came with the silver and it seems it's modded with a Modbo 760. The only thing it needs though is a new spindle, otherwise the laser is in perfect shape and just the worm motor might need greasing.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:12 PM   #1653
mikay786
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post

Should be. They typically have problems either with the NEC/Tokin caps or the BGA on the GPU, and if you are lucky, sometimes just the thermal paste between the GPU and heat spreader.

I would start by replacing the NEC/Tokin caps, though. At least there is no danger with messing it up with that. And if that doesn't work, then try a reflow.
Managed to get the PS3 up and running with a quick bake, how long it last is anyone's guess but is working perfectly as of now. Backwards compatible too just been trying some ps2 games on it.

Watching a YouTube video the other day and guy was saying baking doesn't actually fix the problem with graphics chips as the issue isn't with the solder balls, is that the case? Something about heating flip chip design chips sorts them out for short term.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:01 PM   #1654
Curious.George

iPhone 6s -- cuz friends just can't live without the latest and greatest (and need someplace to "discard" their "antiques").

Guess it will be a 911 phone for the car...
Curious.George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:41 PM   #1655
Hondaman
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Clarksville, Indiana
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz
I'm a: Forum Junkie

I may soon be getting a 1979-1981 Honda CM400T for $150. It may run after a bit of work, but the ownership title has been lost (the title might be replaced if certain legal procedures are followed). I may also use its parts for my other bike (1981 CM400T with 49,000 miles on it).

Asbestos brakes, rotors, carburetors, and exhaust pipes are hard to get for vintage bikes. If the person forgets to contact me I'll see him again in a week or so and I'll mention the bike again.

Last edited by Hondaman; 09-15-2017 at 11:44 PM..
Hondaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:44 AM   #1656
kc8adu
Super Moderator

City & State: dayton ohio
My Country: U.S.A!
Line Voltage: 12vdc,120/240vac,480vac 3ph on my bench

working on a cm400a for a friend now.
mostly carb problems but needs a tank from the previous owners failed dent removal attempt.
my test showed it will run and drive fine after fixup.
carbs flood on shutdown and needs valve clearance set to get rid of a tick.
its an odd bike to me as i never owned an automatic.
also helping him on restoration of this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_...B92,_C95_Benly
we have gotten it to run for the first time in 40 years.
it needs a lot of tlc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaman View Post
I may soon be getting a 1979-1981 Honda CM400T for $150. It may run after a bit of work, but the ownership title has been lost (the title might be replaced if certain legal procedures are followed). I may also use its parts for my other bike (1981 CM400T with 49,000 miles on it).

Asbestos brakes, rotors, carburetors, and exhaust pipes are hard to get for vintage bikes. If the person forgets to contact me I'll see him again in a week or so and I'll mention the bike again.

Last edited by kc8adu; 09-16-2017 at 08:55 AM..
kc8adu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #1657
kc8adu
Super Moderator

as for free i wound up with a bunch of "tillamook" isa sbc.
whoever the dumbass was that thought putting vrm caps alongside a 1084 linear reg was a good idea should be shot.
every one i have fixed over the years had the green sanyos baked brownish grey.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #1658
Per Hansson
Super Moderator

City & State: ----
My Country: Sweden
Line Voltage: 230v 50Hz

^^You can say that again

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0476.jpg (196.8 KB, 70 views)
Old 09-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #1659
kc8adu
Super Moderator

you too?
i will post a pic of one i polymodded.
been doing it for 8 years with no comebacks.
these machines run 24/7/365.
no surprise to see the kzg popped.those die on the shelf.
but even the sanyos outside of the stupid hot zone are beat by the time the machines get to me.
and thats when it crashes several times a day and busts tooling and wrecks parts.
most of my customers know these should never lock,bsod,or spontaneously reset and they bring them at the first issue.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #1660
mikay786
Badcaps Veteran

Got another Wii, 2 remotes, few games inc Mario kart, Wii fit board and a loads of accessories for 13 might keep this one and see if the Wii fit / balance board can help with the exercise which I need to start doing!

iPod nano 2gb 1st gen - 2

Nds lite + 5 games - 15

A few ps2 and PS3 games to use with the now "repaired" PS3 from last week.

And finally all 5 seasons of x-men animated 90s series for 4.50. Loved this cartoon when I was a kid, let's see if today's kids enjoy it.

Everything works which is a nice change

Last edited by mikay786; 09-17-2017 at 06:31 PM..