• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrolux Washingmachine ewf167320 will not heat water

Hi folks i been trying to help my mom a bit since her washing machine
    gave in a bit.

What i have done so far:

1. Checked resistance on the heating element, roughly 27 ohms so that equals to the 1950W or what it was. O/C to ground too.

2. Also checked the ntc was close to 6.8kOhm

3. Tested some programs all are halted as soon as it starts to heat the water and it displays "Err" in the display, realized that it works on centrifuge program only then it works (as it is not heating the water).

4. (Today) i disconnected the heater and tried the 30min short washing program that went just fine, then i disconnected the earth to the element and reconnected
    the wires to the element thinking it might be leaking to earth and tried again. Sure machine stopped at 27min left to do the same.

Some people said change heating element, but i want to use a megger on it to check if it leaks at higher voltages. I talked to the service company here in my town they said they only changed circuitboards on them which is kind of expensive lol not worth to pay $300 fo it.

So my next plan is to take the circuitboard out and exam all solderjoints and see what happens.

Anyone here that been troubleshooting about the same issue?

(PNC) 91490483401 / Modell EWF167320W
    Last edited by Hagis2k; 10-09-2017, 09:19 AM.

Re: Electrolux Washingmachine ewf167320 will not heat water

does the element receive power ?
    is the thermostat working ?
    any error codes ?
    check triacs and relays .

Comment

pull the element out and see if the casing has split.
      i was caught years ago by an element that metered good, pulled out and it was split and the windings had rusted.

Comment

Yes i forgot to say the element recieves power as it should.

Shall remove it asap and see how it looks.

I even took the pcb out of the machine did not really find any bad solderjoints but i re-did a few anyway do anyone know if the machine can sense if the element draws to much current?

Comment

unlikely because the current will be higher when it's cold.

do you have anything that can read leakage current?

Comment

if power gets to heater it should heat up

Comment

Perhaps check the relay or TRIAC that drives the heating element. It's possible that the control board may have a sense circuit to see if that relay/TRIAC has turned ON or stuck ON. Or if the relay/TRIAC are bad, maybe the drive circuit pulls too much current from the IC and causes it to shut down / error out.

I'd fill the washer with water and then power it on manually with wires. See if there is any current leakage and how much. If none, I think you may want to look again at the control board.

Comment

Just replace the heater element and all will be good once again, you most likely have a high resistance earth leak on the heater element, you should be able to confirm this with a megger or high pot test of the heater input to the metal casing.

Comment

Working...
                X